Speculation: What do we do with Spezza?

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
People are seriously undervaluing what Spezza brings. Still has great hands and amazing vision. Plus he's a good guy in the room and provides veteran leadership.

I have a feeling if the Leafs could make a deep playoff run that Spezza would become a beast.

I don't think Spezza cares about the money as much as he does playing in his hometown and potentially winning a cup there. Guy must have over $100M by now.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
What do other 40 pt centres sign for in ufa these days? he's over .5 ppg this season he is a steal this year, and will probably sign another steal of a contract, seems like he deserves a small raise anyway.

what does a small raise do when he’s already grossed 90M in his career. Giving him another 1-200k which he takes home 50% of literally means nothing to him, his entire family, kids, grand kids and great grand kids ...

Give the money to a new kid starting his career

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Not sure about the itch, rabies, or Kerror part.... However, I would definitely take him back if he would sign a 1 year deal under 1.5m.

It is up to him if he wants to re-sign on a short term deal to stay in Toronto and how much we can offer him due to cap constraints.
This made me laugh more than it probably should have

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Give him a 2 year, 1.5 million contract now.
At worse he can be the 4th line center the next 2 years and an injury fill in up the lineup if necessary.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Off the top of my head, Tyler Ennis last year. Brian Campbell signed for league min his last year with Chicago. Patrick Maroon only signed for 200k over min this season. I'd be surprised if we couldn't get someone better than Spezza for league min.
Notice none of those guys play C? He's pretty good value.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I think you wait until the off season to make any kind of decision. No reason to hurry and re-sign Spezza.

That said, he's been fantastic since Keefe arrived. I love having Spezza on this team. It's always a good thing to have players who wanted to be here more than anywhere else. Just imagine the effect that Spezza, Tavares, and Marner are having on the rest of the players! They grew up watching the Leafs, and are all legit fans. That's going to help make other players want to be here and stay here.

Plus he's really turned the clock back a bit. He's a capable #3C right now, and he fits what Dubas/Keefe wants as a 4th liner, too. Skill that can move up the linup in a pinch. I find I notice him every game. Shootout skill, keeps the #2 PP unit respectable when the #1 unit is stacked, wins key faceoffs, looks great in blue and white, slows the game, and can thread a pass. I love Spezza on this team.

Reactions: Kamina

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here are some more factors to consider.

Spezza will be 37 next year..

He currently has played in 33 of 45 games this year missing 12 games due to a healthy scratch (in the 1st half a season) and he averages 10:49 TOI/g.

He does not kill penalties and his -4 +/- is among the worst on the team, so defensively responsible he is not either.

So how much value does one put on a 37 year old depth player playing in ~60 games a season at 10 minutes of ice-time.

To me this looks like a player that you would hand around a "enjoy your retirement" card for all the players to sign and wish him well in his future endeavors post hockey, and give a young guy like Engvall his regular roster spot going forward. Spezza already fulfilled his childhood dream of local GTA kid getting to wear the blue and white and now gets to retire as a Leaf.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's still got the offensive instincts and a pretty good shot. I like him on the 4th line and 2nd PP unit when everyone is healthy.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Here are some more factors to consider.

Spezza will be 37 next year..

He currently has played in 33 of 45 games this year missing 12 games due to a healthy scratch (in the 1st half a season) and he averages 10:49 TOI/g.

He does not kill penalties and his -4 +/- is among the worst on the team, so defensively responsible he is not either.

So how much value does one put on a 37 year old depth player playing in ~60 games a season at 10 minutes of ice-time.

To me this looks like a player that you would hand around a "enjoy your retirement" card for all the players to sign and wish him well in his future endeavors post hockey, and give a young guy like Engvall his regular roster spot going forward. Spezza already fulfilled his childhood dream of local GTA kid getting to wear the blue and white and now gets to retire as a Leaf.

I don't disagree with that but he's also on pace for 42 points over 82 games playing a 3rd/4th line role. Getting that kind of productuon from a very vesitile right shot for league minimum has a tonne of value as well.

Some teams don't have that kind of production from 2nd line players (Buffalo/Detroit).

Reactions: OppositeLocK

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't disagree with that but he's also on pace for 42 points over 82 games playing a 3rd/4th line role. Getting that kind of productuon from a very vesitile right shot for league minimum has a tonne of value as well.

Some teams don't have that kind of production from 2nd line players (Buffalo/Detroit).

Hopefully Spezza can contribute in this years playoffs as he would be the equivalent of the past of dealing for a aging vet at the TD for some extra depth.

I don't see any long term future at this point beyond this current season unless he contributes in this years playoffs that they believe he has enough left in the tank as a part time player and veteran leadership that they extend him. IMO

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
Always loved his game and wanted him to be a Leaf all those years he terrorized us as a Sen. still like his game and think he has a lot to offer.

so yes, I’d bring him back.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why rush into signing him? Wait til season ends and re-evaluate. If he can still skate at NHL level then fine. I don't think anyone will rush into signing him for big money on July 1st? and he has made his coin already and wants to play here. So a decision can occur after season in my mind. Am I missing something here?

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I hated seeing him being a healthy scratch on opening night. I'll defend Babcock on many fronts, but not this one. Not at all.

Since then I've been really pleasantly surprised by his game. He's still brings something when he's on.

I'd see how playoffs go and then re-up for another year at the league minimum. We don't have the cap space and he doesn't need the money. I'm sure he'd be happy for another chance to try for a cup with his hometown team.

Offering him an extra $300k? That's more of an insult. Like one of those awful group dinners out where the organizer is tipping $100 on a $1000 meal and someone leaves a loonie as a thoughtful bonus.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Time for him to ride into the sunset - while we smile upon him. We all know that next year we would boo him into retirement and there will be posts what Dubas was thinking giving him a contract ...

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He's been great since Keefe took over. I would love to resign him for a bottom 6 role. He's a solid 3C even at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad