Speculation: What do we do with Spezza?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
on one hand I am not thrilled with him bing the full time 3C but so far it is working since Babcock was fired Spezza has been great.

I know he is old but I would not be against giving him another 1 year deal with a slight raise for no other reason than last night aside Kerfoot Tavares Nylander works.

What do you think should Spezza get an offer of say 1 year 1-1.2 million?

He has been great I am not against it.

If he isn't back who is the 3C?

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think if he is really enjoying hockey like I think he is, he will be back for 700k again bc I really don’t think having an extra 1-1.5mil will make a difference to him. He wants to be on a team where he is respected by the team(MGT, Coaches, Players, fans and as well as medias). I think as long as he is being paid 700k, everyone will be happy to have him as a Leafs.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
on one hand I am not thrilled itch him bing the full time 3C but so far it is working since Babcock was fired Spezza has been great.

I know he is old but I would not be against giving him another 1 year deal with a slight rabies if for no other reason than last night aside Kerror Tavares Nylander works.

What do you think should Spezza get an offer of say 1 year 1-1.2 million?

He has been great I am not against it.

If he isn't back who is the 3C?

Not sure about the itch, rabies, or Kerror part.... However, I would definitely take him back if he would sign a 1 year deal under 1.5m.

It is up to him if he wants to re-sign on a short term deal to stay in Toronto and how much we can offer him due to cap constraints.

Reactions: namttebih

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I think if he is really enjoying hockey like I think he is, he will be back for 700k again bc I really don’t think having an extra 1-1.5mil will make a difference to him. He wants to be on a team where he is respected by the team(MGT, Coaches, Players, fans and as well as medias). I think as long as he is being paid 700k, everyone will be happy to have him as a Leafs.
Agree with this, not like he can’t slide into a player development role that pay handsomely the second he can’t/won’t play anymore. He’ll be a local legend forever if he’s making 700k centering a line on the bottom 6 and we win.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think we need to decide after the playoffs. After we've seen a full year we can better gage what level he should start the following year at. I agree he will probably take 700k to stay going forward but at his age....we have to watch closely. He may not have enough gas for a deep run.

He sure looks like he has enough gas in the tank

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wait until the summer and offer him another 800-900K plus achievement based bonus contracts.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think Spezza would be 3C if it weren't for all of the injuries up front though. I'd expect Kerfoot to be in that role. If he is traded for cap (or other) reasons in the offseason, perhaps Engvall then goes there?

Spezza has been a good player and great value to this point. That said, I'm not thinking about a re-signing just yet.

Reactions: qqaz

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Make a decision in the off season. If we keep him, offer to pay him similar to what he's making now, and see if he's willing to accept.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
For league Min you don't get a better player

Off the top of my head, Tyler Ennis last year. Brian Campbell signed for league min his last year with Chicago. Patrick Maroon only signed for 200k over min this season. I'd be surprised if we couldn't get someone better than Spezza for league min.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Off the top of my head, Tyler Ennis last year. Brian Campbell signed for league min his last year with Chicago. Patrick Maroon only signed for 200k over min this season. I'd be surprised if we couldn't get someone better than Spezza for league min.

Those are players who were either signing after bad seasons (and luckily rebounded) or signing with the team they played a significant part (SC) of their career for and wanted to retire there.

I would 10/10 times pay an extra 2-300k for a proven quantity than a guy you hope can have a similar impact (assuming Spezza finishes the year how he has bewn playing so far under Keefe).

No harm if it is a 1 year deal.

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
What do other 40 pt centres sign for in ufa these days? he's over .5 ppg this season he is a steal this year, and will probably sign another steal of a contract, seems like he deserves a small raise anyway.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Those are players who were either signing after bad seasons (and luckily rebounded) or signing with the team they played a significant part (SC) of their career for and wanted to retire there.

I know they are and there will always be more of them.

I would 10/10 times pay an extra 2-300k for a proven quantity than a guy you hope can have a similar impact (assuming Spezza finishes the year how he has bewn playing so far under Keefe).

No harm if it is a 1 year deal.

We don't have an extra 200-300k though. We don't even have enough cap space to ice our current roster if it were fully healthy. The only way to pay 4 guys $40,000,000 combined, is to pay 10 guys less than $1,000,000 a piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad