Marleau - Thornton - Kapanen
Johnsson - Letestu - Brown

Rielly - Carlson
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Hainsey
Carrick

Andersen
McBackup

Vanek and Thornton on 1 year deals ... Vanek is cheap goal scoring depth with some size. Admittedly do not know what his defensive is like though. He can slide to the fourth line if he struggles or AJ does well.

Thornton over Tavares because it sustains the cap situation of the team for the long term and allocates money to the bigger need - the blue line. As Thornton is on a one year deal, Matthews'/Marner's new contracts won't be in place so the Leafs can overpay to bring Joe over here.

Letestu is just a fill in fourth line centre, give some competition for Gauthier/Aaltonen

Carlson fills the need for a RHD .. Gardiner is moved for a package of futures, and Carlson replaces his offense. Hainsey gets less ice time as he ages but can fill in the top 4 role if Zaitsev struggles again.

I would like to sign Tavares but I chose to balance the team in other ways that do not tie up the team's cap situation long term as much.

Reactions: francis246

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I wouldn't change much to be honest. Keep letting the kids grow. I think all of Matthews, Marner and Nylander will be at least PPG players next season. Go the Jets route and get better through drafting and development.

Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Kadri - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Brown
Leivo - Beagle - Grundstrom

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Folin

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You have about 50m for 6 Forwards most likely. You need another 7-8 and 80m cap to work with. Let's average those guys out to 2m each. 16m + 6m tenders = 22m + 50m = 72m not including Defense.

Matthews 12, JT 12, Marner 7.5, Nylander 7.5, Marleau 6.5, Kadri 4.5 (50M)

I think your numbers are on the inflated side. Like I said, I use the same sales pitch we used on Stamkos on JT. Love Matthews and he needs to be paid top dollar but he is not worth $12M. He slots with Eichel ($10m). Marner and Nylander slot between Ehlers and Pasta ($6-$6.7m). At the end of the day Lou will sell everybody on winning and in order to do so you need to give a discount or you will not be playing with quality players. I think Lou is quite capable in getting this all done under the cap.

Matthews 10, JT 10, Marner 6.5, Nylander 6.5, Marleau 6.5, Kadri 4.5 (44M). Marleau will be off the books after next season as I see them moving his contract and him retiring.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Re-Sign:
- Auston Matthews (8 years x 10.5 million)
- William Nylander (8 years x 6.75 million)
- Mitchell Marner (8 years x 6.75 million)
- Leo Komarov (2 years x 2.75 million)

Sign:
John Tavares (7 years x 10 million)

Trade:
Connor Carrick, Andreas Johnsson, 2018 1st
for
Chris Tanev

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau --- Tavares --- Marner
Brown ---- Kadri ---- Kapanen
Grundstrom - Goat - Komarov

Rielly --- Dermott
Gardiner -- Tanev
Borgman - Zaitsev
Hainsey

Anderson

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think your numbers are on the inflated side. Like I said, I use the same sales pitch we used on Stamkos on JT. Love Matthews and he needs to be paid top dollar but he is not worth $12M. He slots with Eichel ($10m). Marner and Nylander slot between Ehlers and Pasta ($6-$6.7m). At the end of the day Lou will sell everybody on winning and in order to do so you need to give a discount or you will not be playing with quality players. I think Lou is quite capable in getting this all done under the cap.

Matthews 10, JT 10, Marner 6.5, Nylander 6.5, Marleau 6.5, Kadri 4.5 (44M). Marleau will be off the books after next season as I see them moving his contract and him retiring.

Ok how do you get 6.5 for Marner and Nylander when everything suggests they will get 7+ (The cap is going up 5-6million this year alone). JT and Matthews are not taking less than Eichel right after a cap increase so substantial.

The minimum is 11/11/7/7/6.5/4.5 = 47 ... Sure Marleau leaves and then what? You need someone just as good to take his spot right? What about the new kids? They won't get raises? Dermott is going to stay at under 1m? Jake isn't getting a raise or do we just Jettison Jake??? Then we have weaker D, Hainsey leaves and then what? Where else we going to get a D as good as Hainsey for less money?

It just does not work.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I like your thinking except that I am not sure the Goat is an NHLer on a SC contender. Then again, with AM, JT and NK down the middle, the Goat would only be expected to play 8-10 minutes.

Yep. Would barely play 5v5. Almost exclusively a PKer. Could even have Matthews double shift with Aaltonen\Brown whenever you're down and need goal.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Kapanen Kadri Marner
Marleau Thornton Johnsson
Martin Plekanec Leivo/Komarov

Rielly Carlson
Gardiner Tanev
Dermott Carrick/Polak/Liljegren

I like Johnny Carlson, but you'd be surprised how much he annoys Caps fans. I don't think he's going to age the best, and any long-term deal could turn a little ugly rather quickly.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
my wish would be to acquire OEL, it won't be cheap, (thinking Gard's/Johnsson/Rosen/1st/2nd, possibly more.) but he's probably the best D man for our needs (age/skill set) that could be traded for. It won't be cheap, but nothing of value ever is. In my world, all of: JVR/Bozak/Leo/Martin/Moore/Polak are not offered new contracts. That's allot of turnover for sure, but this is my opinion for long term success. Leivo should be traded because he isn't what Babcock is looking for (he has value elsewhere imo). Depending on how Plekanec fits in, I'd be willing to resign him to a "reasonable" contract (in both term and dollars) if possible. Kappy's ready for a role in the top six, possibly replacing JVR. So, now if these moves where made, Leafs would need to replace Gard's, thinking Dermott could fill this need leaving the D looking something like: OEL, Rielly, Hainsey, Dermott, Zatisev, Holl. On deck would be Carrick,Liljegren, and Borgeman depending on development. Up front would be Mathews, Hyman, Nylander on the 1st line. Marner and Kappy on the wing of the 2nd line, onto the next problem, who to center this line? Tavares is most people's choice and if possible is a logical choice although not sure his lack of foot speed wouldn't be a issue? 3rd line would be made up of Kadri, Marleau, and.......? I'd like to see a a winger with size and speed taking this spot someone along the lines of Tom Wilson of the Caps. Brown could stay there or maybe impending UFA Maroon, or a trade to fill this spot. If Plek's does stay he'd be a great choice for the 4th line center position (having the ability to move up the line up in a pinch). On the wings of the 4th line I'd do something different, I'd have the Goat and Aaltonen taking these spots. This would provide a ton of center depth. Marlies would be seriously depleted if these moves happened, and Leafs would lose high picks in this year's draft, but I don't think any of these moves couldn't be obtained. Defensively the leafs would be far superior to this years team, and better offensively as well..................

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yep. Would barely play 5v5. Almost exclusively a PKer. Could even have Matthews double shift with Aaltonen\Brown whenever you're down and need goal.

I like Johnny Carlson, but you'd be surprised how much he annoys Caps fans. I don't think he's going to age the best, and any long-term deal could turn a little ugly rather quickly.

Fans tend to get on D pretty hard at times.... We've got a love hate relationship with Gardiner at times as well. Carlson is great at preventing zone entry, really solid at stopping the play at the blue line... but, if you are standing up at the blueline, sometimes you get beat, and look bad doing it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Next year will likely be a step back unless we sign a UFA. I don't like doing that because we have far to many players that needed a freaking chance this year, they did not get.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Whole lotta Tanev in this thread, and I must say I do not get it.

Best Defensive D in the league I'd say... RHD, has chemistry with Rielly..... He'd basically be a defensive star, if it wasn't for the non-stop injuries. We've got the depth to weather it. We need someone who is very solid in the defensive zone, and he's pretty much the premier guy at that.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Big 3 Contracts:
Matthews- 11.5X8
Nylander- 6.25x7
Marner-6.25x7
Total: 24 Million

Sign Ozhiganov
Sign Joe thornton to a 6.5x2
Sign Kovalchuk to a 8x1
Bury Martin

Spend 1st Quarter of season evaluating the Defence, if there is not enough improvement from last season, trade for Tanev or Hjalmarsson or another available top 4 dman

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Kovalchuk-Kadri-Marner
Marleau-Thornton-Kapanen
Johnsson-Aaltonen-Brown
Leivo-UFA/Gauthier

Reilly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov
Carrick

Andersen
Pickard/Sparks

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Fans tend to get on D pretty hard at times.... We've got a love hate relationship with Gardiner at times as well.

You could equally get on Morgan but Morgan makes different less obvious away from the puck mistakes. Jake makes mistakes with the puck so he gets called out on it. I am sure a bunch of self proclaimed 5's @ Hockey knowledge disagree with this.

We have good D, we have some weak forwards at team D.

Good overall.
Jake, Morgan, Hainsey, Dermott
Mid Road
Z, Carrick, Holl
Task specific
Polak, Marincin

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Fans tend to get on D pretty hard at times.... We've got a love hate relationship with Gardiner at times as well.

Agreed. Our fans have taken to hating on Zaitsev pretty hard lately as well.

Best Defensive D in the league I'd say... RHD, has chemistry with Rielly..... He'd basically be a defensive star, if it wasn't for the non-stop injuries. We've got the depth to weather it.

That seems a little hyperbolic. And some of the things being offered for him in this thread makes me thankful that some of us indeed are not Lou.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
You could equally get on Morgan but Morgan makes different less obvious away from the puck mistakes. Jake makes mistakes with the puck so he gets called out on it. I am sure a bunch of self proclaimed 5's @ Hockey knowledge disagree with this.

We have good D, we have some weak forwards at team D.

Good overall.
Jake, Morgan, Hainsey, Dermott
Mid Road
Z, Carrick, Holl
Task specific
Polak, Marincin

+32 in 38 AHL games. Which is absurd.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
+32 in 38 AHL games. Which is absurd.

Marincin is pretty good man, the problem is he can't do NHL pace in the grand scheme. I never hated him but he could do like Polak does get rolled out for specific match or situations. I guess you could say if Marincin or Polak are in the lineup during a PO series they will become exploited.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Agreed. Our fans have taken to hating on Zaitsev pretty hard lately as well.

That seems a little hyperbolic. And some of the things being offered for him in this thread makes me thankful that some of us indeed are not Lou.

I only see one proposed trade... Kap + Rasanen + 2nd.... Honestly, it might not be enough for Vancouver. I wouldn't part with Kap though... I think the value would end up being, 1st, Brown D prospect (not Dermott of Lily) and a conditional pick in the future, that goes up, depending on games played. I know that is more than most would want to pay, but... if that's the only trade needed... we've got the assets.

But then... I think we have one of the better D cores in the league, and certainly good enough to contend for the Cup... all for the roster cost of... Brown.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I only see one proposed trade... Kap + Rasanen + 2nd.... Honestly, it might not be enough for Vancouver. I wouldn't part with Kap though... I think the value would end up being, 1st, Brown D prospect (not Dermott of Lily) and a conditional pick in the future, that goes up, depending on games played. I know that is more than most would want to pay, but... if that's the only trade needed... we've got the assets.

But then... I think we have one of the better D cores in the league, and certainly good enough to contend for the Cup... all for the roster cost of... Brown.

Saw Kapanen + Rasanen, 1st + 2nd + Carrick, Gardiner straight up, Gardiner + Carrick.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
No more Hyman. That's the only thing I would do and only call up skilled guys from AHL or wherever. No more trading for junks and trade for a significant piece. Last but not the least no more signing Polak.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Next year will likely be a step back unless we sign a UFA. I don't like doing that because we have far to many players that needed a freaking chance this year, they did not get.
We will have to see how the playoffs go. The result will determine the cost.
Right now we are just giving away a 30 goal scorer and 2nd round pick and people are saying thank you.
Lou = Negan, some fans = Rick.
If we were interested in a permanent D upgrade an extra 1st plus that 2nd might have gone a long way. As it stands, we have addition holes to fill next year. So they better make this count. In light of this, a 1st round exit will be a big failure.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ok how do you get 6.5 for Marner and Nylander when everything suggests they will get 7+ (The cap is going up 5-6million this year alone). JT and Matthews are not taking less than Eichel right after a cap increase so substantial.

The minimum is 11/11/7/7/6.5/4.5 = 47 ... Sure Marleau leaves and then what? You need someone just as good to take his spot right? What about the new kids? They won't get raises? Dermott is going to stay at under 1m? Jake isn't getting a raise or do we just Jettison Jake??? Then we have weaker D, Hainsey leaves and then what? Where else we going to get a D as good as Hainsey for less money?

It just does not work.

Marner and Nylander slot between Ehlers and Pasta ($6-$6.7m). Ehlers < Mitch/Nylander <= Pasta. Cut and dry IMO.

Well as far as Marleau leaving goes, that is what we have Hunter for. If he hasn't drafted a player that can replace Marleau in another season then he hasn't done his job and you have to go UFA or trade for a replacement. For what Marleau is doing on the ice, don't think it will be hard to find a suitable replacement. As far as Hainsey goes, you have to think Lily will be ready when Hainsey walks.

I don't have all the answers to things a year plus down the road but IMO we can make it work whether we sign JT or not.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner and Nylander slot between Ehlers and Pasta ($6-$6.7m). Ehlers < Mitch/Nylander <= Pasta. Cut and dry IMO.

Well as far as Marleau leaving goes, that is what we have Hunter for. If he hasn't drafted a player that can replace Marleau in another season then he hasn't done his job and you have to go UFA or trade for a replacement. For what Marleau is doing on the ice, don't think it will be hard to find a suitable replacement. As far as Hainsey goes, you have to think Lily will be ready when Hainsey walks.

I don't have all the answers to things a year plus down the road but IMO we can make it work whether we sign JT or not.

You have to understand my POV. That is a lot of faith in your drafting, like a lot of faith. I mean enough to make me concerned.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I say the only big ticket items should come in the form of UFA signing, Tavares or Carlson, and the system be allowed to grow and mature an additional year before pulling off deals like the McDonagh to TB rental.

Looking at guys like Namestnikov, Point, Gourde, Heinen, Schaller, Bjork, DeBrusk, who were thriving on Tampa and Boston, the order of the day is to add more hockey sense, versatility and athleticism to the roster on the top 9 similar to Kasperi Kapanen. We shouldn't be packaging him or Johnsson, Grundstrom, Bracco or anyone away for name upgrades.

Reactions: IWD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad