Speculation: What do the Bruins do now?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Taking emotional attachment out of it, how do fans of other teams feel about the Bruins success and management the past decade? I am a Bruins fan that lives in the NYC metro area and anytime I complain to Rangers and Devils fan friends and family they say to cry me a river.

last decade 447-234-93 3 finals appearances, 1 cup win. 20 play-off series appearances.

Would you trade places for the past decade with your team?
Bruins are coming off an enviable decade for sure, but the next decade is looking not very good. Their top guys are mid 30’s. Maybe they should do a tear down rebuild?

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Taking emotional attachment out of it, how do fans of other teams feel about the Bruins success and management the past decade? I am a Bruins fan that lives in the NYC metro area and anytime I complain to Rangers and Devils fan friends and family they say to cry me a river.

last decade 447-234-93 3 finals appearances, 1 cup win. 20 play-off series appearances.

Oilers fan saying I would trade the last two decades for yours. You can pick any year at random (Allison/Thornton/Samsonov days, Savard/Chara/Kessel era, Cup win, Pastrnak's arrival) and probably be pretty entertained if not happy with how that season went. Even the "lean" days in the post-Thornton era were a microsecond compared to most rebuilds. Add in other Boston-area sports teams to fill in the gaps with their championships, and y'all have had it good.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Lauzon might be ready. But they've been careful not to give him too many responsibilities so far and the sample size isn't large, so it's not a slam dunk.

The left side as you describe it looks like a lot of question marks. Especially because I'm not a big fan of Grz. And this playoffs reinforced the truth but previous playoffs show as well, elite teams don't have good defenses. Elite teams have elite defenses. Some of those guys on the left could be ok, maybe even could be better than ok, but defense isn't the place on your roster where you want to be guessing.

I agree. I don't like to roll dice on these things. Just more that it's not quite as brutal as some fans are thinking. It's a decent defence.

Reactions: kabidjan18

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019

No I would not trade places, but that’s an easy answer from a Pens fan.

Reactions: LouJersey

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Considering Detroit did dick all since the 09 finals loss, absolutely!

That being said, I get why you might not be thrilled. Bruins have had some real gamers in their line up and only squeezed out one Cup. Same feeling Wings fans have about the Zetterberg+Dastyuk+Lidstrom rosters post lockout. Definitely should have had another in there.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I think this is the team. Maybe add Chara but Sweeney once again promises changes and once again does the bare minimum. This team is infuriating to watch.

Idunkmyoreos

Sep 28, 2017
I think this is the team. Maybe add Chara but Sweeney once again promises changes and once again does the bare minimum. This team is infuriating to watch.

The issue with the Sweeney promising changes the fans think it must come from outside. As of now only Smith signed as free agent meets that expectation. I believe the Bruins will still make a trade for a veteran dman under the age of 30 as an example Leddy from NYI who have cap issues or a straight hockey trade with Calgary for Hannifan. But even with out a trade you will have several of their high picks that have been maturing in Providence and now are ready to play in NHL. Zboril and Lauzon on defense and Frederick, Studnicka and Senyshyn as forwards could potentially all make the team, maybe not big names but were drafted because they fit the mold the Bruins want - they are all big, excellent skaters and have a little physicality. This means they could have 6 or 7 new bodies on a 23 man roster approximately 25% turnover . That is major changes to a team that just won the Presidents Trophy.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
The issue with the Sweeney promising changes the fans think it must come from outside. As of now only Smith signed as free agent meets that expectation. I believe the Bruins will still make a trade for a veteran dman under the age of 30 as an example Leddy from NYI who have cap issues or a straight hockey trade with Calgary for Hannifan. But even with out a trade you will have several of their high picks that have been maturing in Providence and now are ready to play in NHL. Zboril and Lauzon on defense and Frederick, Studnicka and Senyshyn as forwards could potentially all make the team, maybe not big names but were drafted because they fit the mold the Bruins want - they are all big, excellent skaters and have a little physicality. This means they could have 6 or 7 new bodies on a 23 man roster approximately 25% turnover . That is major changes to a team that just won the Presidents Trophy.
I think this scenario is exactly what bruins fans are afraid of and why they are so upset. A team with Zboril, Senyshyn, Lauzon, Frederic and Studnicka playing meaningful minutes next year is a lottery team. That’s fine, but it’s a terrible waste of the last year or two of the cup Team core.

Reactions: chrisab123

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Bruins are coming off an enviable decade for sure, but the next decade is looking not very good. Their top guys are mid 30’s. Maybe they should do a tear down rebuild?
I think this would be great but there is a business issue...Jacobs & co have continued to jack up season ticket prices every year during this period of success, which means they are going to do everything possible to continue fielding a team that can at least somewhat compete for a playoff spot to justify it.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The team is not infuriating to watch ownership and management is infuriating........

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
The team is not infuriating to watch ownership and management is infuriating........

Its infuriating to watch because of the ownership and management. The pieces are underwhelming. You see a presidents trophy and see how little it means.

Its taken 5 years (now 6) to replace Lucic.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Take no offense, ah take it anyways Krug is so overrated he is being over paid by the Blues but better them then the Bruins. You are one of those fans that go gaga over the little guy scooting around the ice reminds you of that cute little and then they get big are not so cute............he was not just out muscled he was very slow , lost in his own end., and had more shots blocked very overrated player. McAvoy or Gryz we be more than adequate replacements.........
100 Percent....Krug was garbage in any defensive situation. Below average. Was outmanned 95% of the time. He is probably the best one dimmensional player in the league. Not worth more then 5.5 million. St. Louis will quickly find out what Krug is....Especially at the expense of AP...

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The problem right now is that it appears there is no clear strategy. Bruins should either be spending to the cap in an effort to take one last run with the old core, or they should be selling veterans and accelerating the re-tool around the new core (Pasta, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Carlo). Instead, so far we have lost a high end talent and signed a less talented older player. Right now the only move remaining that is consistent with an actual plan is to sign Hoffman and make a final push.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad