Speculation: What do the Bruins do now?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Sweeney and Neely look like deer in headlights.

They better do something, maybe sign Hoffman and Dadanov and trade for Weegar.

What else is there to do..

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I figured they would be going hard after one of the Ds on the UFA market (Brodie, Shattenkirk, Barrie, etc.), or at least would have made a pitch for Nate Schmidt.
I'm a bit surprised they're not more active than this. At the beginning of the offseason I told my friends that this was the summer the Bruins would try and make the most of the rest of their window. I expected them to sign Taylor Hall and/or get OEL.

Is Jeremy Jacobs that much of a cheapskate?

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Imo, the Bruins is pretty much set already, except for the Chara-slot.

Re-sign DeBrusk and Grzelcyk and there you go.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Craig Smith
Bjork - Coyle - Kase
N.Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner
(Blidh, Lindholm)

(Chara?) X - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Moore - Clifton
(Lauzon)

Rask
(Halak)

11M in cap space goes to DeBrusk (4-5M) and Grzelcyk (2-3M), then there's ~4M left for the Chara-slot or Chara himself.

Also letting some cap space growing for the deadline, would be smart idea to go.

Last edited:

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Play the kids at the forward positions and she who sticks. There is always wingers available at the deadline that you can add. Think Hall at the deadline or something similar.

The gaping wound on the left side of your top pairing D is the issue. Krug was a huge part of your team and PP success. The PP was such a nice hammer for the Bruins to have. He needs to be replaced and not sure there is an internal option there.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Since we lost out once again on the marquee free agent what do they do? Most of us on the Bs board are doom and gloom. But I want to see what other fans thinks this team does.

still need some winger help and a LHD.

You dont have much cap space after signing your RFAs beyond filling it with $1M/ELC players

the other option is a cap neutral trade of players.

there are other teams needing to unload some cap so you can get a decent player to fill this for cheap

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
About the only move that can save the season and keep us a legit contender is to sign Hoffman. We have been needing that major second line scoring threat. If we get that type of of upgrade on the wing, I honestly think we can work with the D that we have (with or without Chara).

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Bring up the kids?

Bruins always have great kids to bring up.

And re-sign Chara. He is still damn effective.
There are no great kids to bring up due to terrible drafting. Chara needs to be done. Other than that though.....:laugh:

kelso

Jul 15, 2020
They dont have the cap space after signing Debrusk and Grzelyk/ They might have $3M in space and then needd to fill out their roster

Ok so trade DeBrusk? Who picks DeBrusk over Hall? Bruins are old as f*** so they have a pretty limited window. They had a really good opportunity to do something this year and instead decided to twiddle their thumbs.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
So much is unresolved with unsigned RFA's across the league. Tampa, for example, is in dire shape on the cap - case in point, waiving Tyler Johnson?

Someone on that team will be wearing another jersey in 2020-21.

Free Agency isn't how you build champion teams and there is plenty of time for Sweeney to make a trade move or two.

That being said, I think he would be foolish to go into 20-21 without at least acquiring a top 4 LD to replace Krug.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Ok so trade DeBrusk? Who picks DeBrusk over Hall? Bruins are old as f*** so they have a pretty limited window. They had a really good opportunity to do something this year and instead decided to twiddle their thumbs.

You don't trade Debrusk for one year of Hall. That's why the Bruins were offering Hall 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad