what do junior hockey coaches in off season?

TSK1020

are they full-time employees of the clubs? Im assuming they run camps, etc etc?

Is it in similar vein as a high school teacher whereby the bulk of the work is during the season and they have freedom during the off-season more or less?

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Scout, scout, and scout some more.
Run and evaluate try-out camps and travel to all the relevant showcases.
If they have ice in the summer, they usually offer to run informal practices with any players left in town and travel prospective players to town to show them around and see how they fit with the remaining players.
Honestly the hard work of coaching juniors is the summer and if you did well, just stay the course and make minor adjustments.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
It depends if it's a Major team like in the USHL, OHL, Q, NAHL. Or is it Jr A, B, etc? I spent time as an assistant Jr A-level coach in the US. The head coach was also the team's GM and oversaw the aaa youth program. It was a full-time job for him and he was paid accordingly. I would also run the weekly skill sessions for the aaa program, do some scouting. We also ran a summer hockey camp for the aaa program. But I still needed a job that paid a living wage. Also, if you didn't play D1 or high-level D3 college hockey, or as a Pro, you'll be limited to how far you can go as a coach. It's always been and will continue to be about what have you done, more than what you can do to help a player improve. I see a lot of retired NHL players getting into coaching so they can help their own kids.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad