What do isles fans drive?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I succumbed to the pull of the RF. It's a total go-kart. I'll be turning 60 in a few months and I got a sports car. Go figure. Anyway, if I suddenly stop posting here, you will all know that I got SUV'd (not to be confused with sous vide). 0% financing and a good deal, so I was able to keep my current AWD sedan for bad weather, heavy rains on the highway, multiple passengers, cargo, etc.. :)

You should bring it to my house to let me test drive it.

Its the least you can do. Sheeessshh

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
You should bring it to my house to let me test drive it.

Its the least you can do. Sheeessshh
I don't get scared easily when driving, but I think I'll hold off on tackling NYC/LI highways in my new tiny car for a while! ;)

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Here's the new BRZ which will be available sometime next year. The bumped it up to 228hp, which is pretty good for a 2900 lb car (very similar numbers to an old Saab that I once had). No turbo either, which is good IMO. The styling is nice from some angles, merely non-offensive from others.

2022-subaru-brz-125-1605671264.jpg
Not a fan of the new model. Glad I got mine right before the body switch. The extra 23 HP isn’t worth it. The new model has grown on me a tad since they released pictures but it’s still way down looks wise from the original.

Attachments

• F1AC8F02-DC4E-424D-8A7E-4B87E647D152.jpeg
    F1AC8F02-DC4E-424D-8A7E-4B87E647D152.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 4B3E597F-25FD-4BF2-A1B2-3B4A6FAC9B7D.jpeg
    4B3E597F-25FD-4BF2-A1B2-3B4A6FAC9B7D.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 7

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
A Miata and a Saab, eh? Interesting. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
I said it was a Miata and a Saab, not an automatic transmission. :sarcasm:

And these particular cars are kind of like Subaru where they also make the WRX STI. The Saab that I had was the original '99 Viggen (stock photo below of my exact car - they only made that one color in a 2 door the first model year). It had around 230hp and weighed under 3000 pounds and could beat an M3 or an S4 from 40-80mph.

a2661ab58a8478d709a18f31df449134--saab---collector-cars.jpg

Yeah, I know there's the Miata stereotype, but it's the RF hardtop with the performance package (black BBS wheels, Recaro seats and Brembo brakes), so it doesn't look girlie at all (NTTAWWT). I considered some V8s, etc., but decided I wanted a high-revving 4 cylinder engine with manual transmission that I could thrash through all the gears. I figure what's the fun of a crazy fast car that hits illegal speeds in 2nd gear, unless you take it to the track?

And again, they're both manual transmissions, not automatics. :dainty:

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Not a fan of the new model. Glad I got mine right before the body switch. The extra 23 HP isn’t worth it. The new model has grown on me a tad since they released pictures but it’s still way down looks wise from the original.
Nice car! Yeah, the new BRZ was appealing to me in a lot of respects, but the looks just didn't move me. I typically don't care that much about looks, but the Miata RF has the vibe of something from Italy in the 1960s.

Reactions: TheWhiteWhale30

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

Beauty, always been a fan of the BRZ. My bud has one and has let me drive it a few times and I loved it. Just wish it had more torque in 1st.

Reactions: TheWhiteWhale30

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
View media item 4435If you want a sports car get a real sports car
Very nice! The Mazda stretched the limits of my practicality though. I had looked at a really nice low miles Honda S2000 previously but couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a 15 year old car as cool as it was. And I didn't want a ragtop either. The MG is great, but I'm guessing that's more of a weekend car (ie, maybe 2000 miles a year, if that)? I was looking for something I can count on for 5-10k miles a year. I wanted reliable, high-revving, naturally-aspirated 4 cyl engine, great handling, and a few other things. The Mazda checked all the boxes. I didn't want a convertible per se, but I've actually enjoyed the retractable roof.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Very nice! The Mazda stretched the limits of my practicality though. I had looked at a really nice low miles Honda S2000 previously but couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a 15 year old car as cool as it was. And I didn't want a ragtop either. The MG is great, but I'm guessing that's more of a weekend car (ie, maybe 2000 miles a year, if that)? I was looking for something I can count on for 5-10k miles a year. I wanted reliable, high-revving, naturally-aspirated 4 cyl engine, great handling, and a few other things. The Mazda checked all the boxes. I didn't want a convertible per se, but I've actually enjoyed the retractable roof.
More like 300 miles a year! No highways. A trip to the local hardware or to grab a cup of coffee, maybe to get a haircut. but that's it. Truth be told it's a glorified go-cart and no safer than a bike but it is a blast to drive.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
View media item 4435If you want a sports car get a real sports car
I thought you might enjoy this article that just came out this week:

The Search for the Greatest Sports Car of All Time

It's long - I didn't read the whole thing yet. It seems like they picked individual cars to represent a genre of cars. So, for the sports sedan they have a classic '88 BMW M5 (the beautiful squared one) as representative. And for FWD hot hatch they have an Integra Type R (no argument there). Of course a Cobra (drool - I've gotta go buy a Powerball ticket...). And to represent the classic British/Italian roadster? A 2020 Miata. ;) You might not agree with the choice, but I'm guessing that the "pure driver's car" description applies to your car too.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Reactions: nyisles

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I know it - great site! In 2018 I wanted to bid on this car so badly but it was out of my price range by pretty much the entire selling price. Then the guy who bought it sold it on BAT last month and made almost $50,000 after getting to drive it for two+ years!

1972_nissan_skyline_c10_1533762132daced2a8ba3b973Screen-Shot-2018-08-08-at-2.01.00-PM.png

1972 Nissan Skyline 3.2L

Modified 1972 Nissan Skyline KGC10

Im a huge fan of Preludes -- when you look at how much $$$ these cars are going for -----

The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Im a huge fan of Preludes -- when you look at how much $$$ these cars are going for -----

The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer
Preludes are nice. And yeah, the prices for a lot of those old cars are nuts. A long time ago when used low mileage 1st generation NSXs were going for under $30,000 I wanted to buy one but didn't have the funds. Those things are through the roof now. It makes sense that the old video game cars are appreciating now that the kids who played those games have jobs.

I love looking at all the cars, but I'm a sucker for the older Japanese models. The GTR I posted above, old Datsun 510s, S2000s, Mitsubishi Starion (the one with the turbo and the flared fenders)....

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Picked up a 21 Explorer ST right before Christmas. It does a great job of being practical but not a complete bore to drive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad