What did this year really tell us?

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
So, what did we learn about the Red Wings this year? Did they speed up or slow down the rebuild? Did any player take the next step? Which players took a step back? What direction moving forward? Who will be behind the bench moving forward? These are just a few items from this years team that I would like to touch on. So, here is my review of this year’s Red Wings:

First and foremost, I think this year really told us a lot about our players and what they will be moving forward. The Mantha trade was the first sign that Steve is keenly aware of who he wants on this roster moving forward and who he will move if given the chance. Let’s take a look at the players:

Larkin- I think Steve sees a lot of himself in Dylan and I think he is here long term. He is what Steve wants for the face of the franchise. A steadying demeanor, someone that won’t embarrass the franchise, and an above average talent. Will he ever be “the” offensive force on this team, I have to say no, but he will be a solid top 6 player who will represent the Wings very well.

Bertuzzi- Not signing him long term last year, to me, says he will be moved at some point. I love the player, he produces when on the ice, but for some reason just seems to be put on the back burner when it comes to the Wings. I really think once he is healthy and producing, he is the next big trade the Wings make to get a younger more creative player with picks.

Vrana- Now here is a guy I think Steve is going to sign long term and really sees him being a huge producer for the Wings. When we first got him, I thought we would only have him for a short time then trade him. I have changed my mind on that since he put the Wings sweater on. This is the type of talented player Steve craves. If you can keep him engaged somewhat on the defensive end, the kid is a star. I think he is here long term.

Fabbri- Great trade and signing for the Wings. If he can stay healthy, he will be very valuable for the Wings. Does he stay long term? No, I see the same thing with him that I do with Bert. Get him healthy and producing again, then move him for younger players and picks.

Zadina- I really think the system has neutered him. This is a highly creative player who just seems to be focusing on defense, defense, defense right now because the coaching staff is holding him hostage on that fact. Play defense or else, seems to be the message from the staff. At least that is how I am seeing it right now. Get this kid a playmaker and turn him loose. Once Blash is gone, I can’t help but think this kid is a huge part of our future.

Veleno- The Wings brain trust seem to really like this kid and I think he is our next Glendening, which isn’t a bad thing, I guess. He will be a solid third/fourth line center who is a valuable commodity on a winning team, which I hope we are down the road. I see him as a long-term Red Wing.

Ras- Here is a conundrum for me. I really like the kid and think he has a bright future but can he be a solid 2nd/3rd line center? I think he was one player that really stepped up his game this year and showed huge strides for his future, but what is the ceiling here? If he continues to take steps, I think the brain trust likes him and will keep him. If he shows a leveling off then I think his size will entice some other team to offer a deal we can’t refuse. Not sure if he is long term?

Erne- Always liked the energy and effort from this guy but until this year, he really didn’t warrant much, if any, ice time. This year, however, was a big eye opener and showed why Steve likes him so much. He is definitely a Stevie guy, so I think he sticks around and won’t ever cost too much.

Hronek- He was my pick to be the player that stepped up the most, especially after scoring 10 goals over the off season in a European league. I was really expecting offense, offense, and more offense from him. I thought he would be a top 10 scoring defenseman this year. What we got was actually a better defensive player who just never got the offense going the way I thought. Is he a long term player? Boy, it’s hard to say with all the other young bucks coming up but he’s still young himself. My thought is, he might price himself out of the equation in the future. So, no to long term here.

Cholowski- He is another player that seems to be being played by the coaching staff. Defense or else! The problem here is he actually did play some pretty decent defense but his offense suffered greatly. He seemed to be more hesitant to rush, force action, and take command of the puck when he finally was allowed to come up. My hope is he will find the balance needed because we could use a talented LHD like him in the future. Again, long term, I just don’t know yet.

Svechnikov- I think he is a big no as a future Wing or in our plans at all. It seems that Steve is just begging Seattle to take him in the expansion draft. I think there is a talent there but the Wings have his head so messed up, I can’t even fathom him being around next year.

Smith- I love this guy and I think we need this guy. I have been screaming for the last two years that he has more offense than people give him create for and he keeps other teams in check when he is in the lineup. For years, other teams have taken liberty with our bigger names and I just don’t see that when Smith is on the ice or bench. Plus, the other players seem to really like the kid. Long term? I could see him here for 4-5 years.

The older guys on this roster: Panik, Neilson, Greiss, Stecher, etc… aren’t long for the Red Wings jersey and the younger guys Berggren, Raymond, Grewe, etc… will all most likely be our building blocks but Seider is the only Rock Solid prospect you can hang your hat on. The others, we will have to wait and see who steps up and who fails.

The Timeline:

I think the timeline is right on target, but I also think if Steve wants to, he could move the timeline up quickly. All the young guys got a lot of experience and showed they can play in the NHL. They were all about a line up too far than they should have been, but the experience was good. With the money, picks, and prospects moving up Steve could really jump start this team as soon as next year. I know that the next two drafts are loaded on top but really, I think this team is already past finishing in last place for next year or the year after. This is, unless Steve decides to rid himself of the talent we actually do have right now: Bertuzzi, Vrana, Larkin, Fabbri for picks. He could then sign some older average guys to fill out the roster this coming year, filter in some younger guys, and then lose, lose, lose for the high picks. This summer will tell which way Steve is headed. For me, I would rather full speed ahead but if we go the other route, I am fine with it.

The Coach:

Well, the decision on the timeline will mostly affect the coaching decision in my mind. If we are going to tank, first make sure we tank really well, but might as well keep Blash around and destroy his coaching record even more. Again, I am in the camp for a new coach, new FA players, bringing in the younger guys to fill in, and lets get this rebuild jump started. I guess we will know soon what the direction will be.

The Future:

If Chris Illitch is on board with helping this team out and not selling, I see a bright future for the Wings, but I have to contain myself and be a bit more patient than I am used to being. The young guys will have some more hurdles to jump, FA players may pass on us that I want them to sign, and Steve is a more patient guy than myself, so all this is weighing on me. In the end, I think we are very solid playoff team in 2 years and the winged sweater will be back to respectability.

Just my opinion and wondering what others on board are?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think this year showed us that Yzerman is a good evaluator of talent more than anything.

His discount FA pickups kept us out of the basement and made us competitive most nights. Yzerman picked a lot of the right guys at the pricepoint they came at. It gives me hope that if or when he's allowed to spend more money that he'll get the right guys at $3 mil, $5 mil and $8 mil.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
That we took steps back. Mantha is gone, Larkin looks even worse. We now don't know Bertuzzi's future. Svechnikov hasn't improved much. Also, Zadina and Rasmussen didn't look as good as hoped. So the pieces already in place prior to 2021 didn't do much to inspire confidence going forward.

It also showed last season was an anomaly. Jimmy Howard was such a JAG. While still a bad team, the 2020 Red Wings would have been better with two competent goalies. They had that in 2021. Much more respectable record.

On the positive, Seider looked good and I'm hearing good things about Raymond. But just looking at the current NHL product, the Red Wings are still a mess.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This year told me that this team has pretty much no current player I would put list as a true "core" player.
Agreed. And that Yzerman is willing to make whatever moves are necessary.

And that I can't wait to see Seider next year. Other kids might get their start as well, and other kids might take the next step (or even jump) in development, but Mo is a prospect worth getting excited about.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That the Wings/Hawks rivalry is still alive.

upload_2021-5-14_12-42-5.png

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
This year proved we need elite talent from whatever source (draft, FA) we can get it. There is no one on the roster and only 1 player in the organization (Seider) I'm at all excited about. To me, Seider is the only piece in the organization that is untradeable. He's the lone piece that provides any hope. I've seen little from Raymond to say he's an elite, but I've also seen little of Raymond period to make a true assessment. Perhaps he arrives in the fall and completely changes my mind, it's TBD.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
This was a hard year. I usually cope by keeping an eye on the draft and with no OHL I was completely blind. I've never watched less hockey, I'm 40 years old. This year tells me I hope my kids give half a shit about hockey going forward.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This was a hard year. I usually cope by keeping an eye on the draft and with no OHL I was completely blind. I've never watched less hockey, I'm 40 years old. This year tells me I hope my kids give half a shit about hockey going forward.
Yep. Stuck at home for a year, and zero instances of watching 3 consecutive periods of any team.

I know things take time, but until there's a streaming package at reasonable cost and an on-ice product worth streaming, this message board is as far as my investment goes.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If there is one thing I've always trusted with Yzerman, it's his talent evaluation and roster decisions. The guy was giving Scotty Bowman and Ken Holland roster and player advice when he was still a player.

"The guy was giving Scotty Bowman and Ken Holland roster and player advice when he was still a player."

I don't doubt this happened, but can you refresh my memory, with examples, thanks.

Reactions: 14ari13 and David D

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
"The guy was giving Scotty Bowman and Ken Holland roster and player advice when he was still a player."

I don't doubt this happened, but can you refresh my memory, with examples, thanks.

I think that is something all top tier players do. Most GMs will keep the KEY guys in the loop with stuff like this.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think that is something all top tier players do. Most GMs will keep the KEY guys in the loop with stuff like this.
Yes, that's a given & I understand that. What the quote is referring to is SY giving Kenny & Scotty player advice etc. I'm sure all C/A's & vets do so to varying degrees, but I'm asking for specific examples as alluded to by @Schroedingers Cat (awesome user name btw).

Reactions: David D and Oddbob

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That we took steps back. Mantha is gone, Larkin looks even worse. We now don't know Bertuzzi's future. Svechnikov hasn't improved much. Also, Zadina and Rasmussen didn't look as good as hoped. So the pieces already in place prior to 2021 didn't do much to inspire confidence going forward.

It also showed last season was an anomaly. Jimmy Howard was such a JAG. While still a bad team, the 2020 Red Wings would have been better with two competent goalies. They had that in 2021. Much more respectable record.

On the positive, Seider looked good and I'm hearing good things about Raymond. But just looking at the current NHL product, the Red Wings are still a mess.

I couldn't disagree more. Wings took a step forward. They produced a better goal percentage. They have more kicks at the can this draft and next draft. Zadina and Rasmussen looked good during this injury riddled season. Larkin was meh, but also injured. In just a few games, you can tell Veleno is already starting to look like a promising 3rd line NHLer with great defensive awareness.

I like Vrana better than Mantha so far... and the extra picks are just the cherry on top.

Sure, Cholo and Svech won't have a future here. Not everyone can make it.

Sadly, Wings won't be picking top 3 this draft.

Last edited:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

It was so long ago I can't find any proper sources anymore, but I'm pretty sure I read in the 90s/early 00s that Yzerman was a big part of the Shanahan and Murphy trades and spent a lot of time actively scouting around the league. He gave a lot of ice-level input to Holland.

Reactions: 14ari13

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That we're still at least 2 years from the playoffs. We have lots of players with potential, but not the right mix of players, currently, to realize that potential. Still need lots of things to work out well for us, in terms of injuries (lack thereof) and prospects able to make the jump to the NHL.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It was so long ago I can't find any proper sources anymore, but I'm pretty sure I read in the 90s/early 00s that Yzerman was a big part of the Shanahan and Murphy trades and spent a lot of time actively scouting around the league. He gave a lot of ice-level input to Holland.
That's cool, I was just wondering what key players he had input on, so that suffices.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I couldn't disagree more. Wings took a step forward. They produced a better goal percentage. They have more kicks at the can this draft and next draft. Zadina and Rasmussen looked good during this injury riddled season. Larkin was meh, but also injured. In just a few games, you can tell Veleno is already starting to look like a promising 3rd line NHLer with great defensive awareness.

I like Vrana better than Mantha so far... and the extra picks are just the cherry on top.

Sure, Cholo and Svech won't have a future here. Not everyone can make it.

Sadly, Wings won't be picking top 3 this draft.
No they didn't. They were average at best. They both need a big step up to be important contributors on this team. As for Larkin, he's been meh the last several years.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
No they didn't. They were average at best. They both need a big step up to be important contributors on this team. As for Larkin, he's been meh the last several years.
Rasmountain seemed to pick his game up after the departure of Mantha...Zadina needs to work on his eye-hand coordination...Larkin looks like a slightly better version of Helm (speed but no hands or creativity).

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Vrana 11 games played on awful Detroit: 8 goals 3 assists Mantha: 14 games played 4 goals 4 assists Everybody called me stupid when i said that Mantha is nowhere near as talented as Vrana. He can be legit superstar with Detroit and is already our best player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->