What did the Kings get for Gretzky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
"On February 27, 1996 he joined the St. Louis Blues in a trade for Patrice Tardif, Roman Vopat, Craig Johnson, and draft picks. While he scored 37 points in 31 games for the team (regular season and playoffs), and they got within one overtime game of the Conference finals, he never clicked with the team or with sniper and good friend Brett Hull on the ice as well as many had expected."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Gretzky

Don Taylor*

So they didn't try to resign him or anything eh.

It was down to Vancouver and New York eh..

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Don Taylor* said:

well, St. Louis...

Toronto allegedly almost got him as well, depending on who you believe

but hey, Roman Vopat :jump:

Wetcoaster

Don Taylor* said:

Another Pat Quinn screw-up.

He stupidly gave Gretzky an ultimatum deadline well after midnight when Gretzky had already gone to bed for the night - and Gretzky was pi$$ed. Quinn pulled the offer off the table. So off to New York. Could you have imagined Gretzky centering Pavel Bure? :eek:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
KingofCrunk said:
I love how someone can get 37 points in 31 games in that era and still be considered to not have clicked with the team. That's amazing.
when your wayne gretzky anything less than 87 points in 31 games is Jim Campbellesque.

Benchguy

Oct 10, 2005
Québec
Reading the topic I remember a question I 've asked my self for some times...

I bought the DVD ultimate Gretzky(great DVD, 2 hour interview with Kiefer Sutherland, greatest moments, records, etc.)
In the DVD , they never talk about Gretky as a Blues, no pics, no comments, no videos...

Anyone knows if Gretzky has something against the Blues ? any regrets going there ?

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Benchguy said:
Anyone knows if Gretzky has something against the Blues ? any regrets going there ?

I heard he never saw eye-to-eye with Mike Keenan while he was there. But really I think the reason its not mentioned, is that nothing noteworthy happened in St. Louis.

Transported Upstater

Wetcoaster said:
Another Pat Quinn screw-up.

He stupidly gave Gretzky an ultimatum deadline well after midnight when Gretzky had already gone to bed for the night - and Gretzky was pi$$ed. Quinn pulled the offer off the table. So off to New York. Could you have imagined Gretzky centering Pavel Bure? :eek:

But Pat Quinn breaks in the rookies!

Transported Upstater

Shootmaster_44 said:
I heard he never saw eye-to-eye with Mike Keenan while he was there. But really I think the reason its not mentioned, is that nothing noteworthy happened in St. Louis.

On that note: Has anyone ever seen eye-to-eye with Keenan?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
GuloGulo said:
"On February 27, 1996 he joined the St. Louis Blues in a trade for Patrice Tardif, Roman Vopat, Craig Johnson, and draft picks. While he scored 37 points in 31 games for the team (regular season and playoffs), and they got within one overtime game of the Conference finals, he never clicked with the team or with sniper and good friend Brett Hull on the ice as well as many had expected."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Gretzky
LA would have been better off finishing the season with Gretzky, then letting him leave in the off-season so they could get the compensatory second round pick.

Johnson went on to play over 500 NHL games. Solid third liner at his peak. Tardif's only other notable accomplishment is he won an NCAA championship with Paul Kariya at Maine. Vopat had one of the most forgetable 133-game careers in NHL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad