What # defenseman is Chris Tanev?

What # defenseman is Chris Tanev?

Results are only viewable after voting.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Despite being the worst team in the entire NHL the past 3 seasons, the Canucks actually have a positive goal differential when Chris Tanev is on the ice. He does this while going against the toughest competition on the team, with the toughest defensive zone deployment (among defenders). \

I actually really hope Tanev gets traded to a team like Toronto, he will get appreciated there and the results of this poll would be drastically different.

1st, 2nd and a prospect good for you?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
1st, 2nd and a prospect good for you?
I think trading Tanev would be a colossal mistake for the Canucks, this current regime has yet to bring in a top 4 defender in their four year tenure despite trading a countless amount of assets trying.

I still think Tanev can play at a high level for 3-5 more years and using him to ease in defenders like Hughes and Juolevi will be incredibly valuable.

In a vacuum that's an excellent offer though and if this regime had a clue on how to pro scout defenders I would strongly consider it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's a shutdown #2. His issue is he can never stay healthy. He's also probably better utilized as the 2nd guy on a top pairing allowing his partner to have more offensive freedom, than being asked to be the best defender on his pairing.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
I still think Tanev can play at a high level for 3-5 more years

He has missed more and more games since 14-15 and only played 40 games this season.

How is he going to play 5 years at high level, playing 20 games a season?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
He has missed more and more games since 14-15 and only played 40 games this season.

How is he going to play 5 years at high level, playing 20 games a season?
That's a valid point, I do believe with a lesser work load Tanev can remain healthy for longer. Tanev has more so suffered freak injuries, he doesn't really have any nagging reoccurring injures that make him miss time with the same thing.

I don't really see his level of play dropping for 3-5 year is what I meant.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's a #2 when healthy. That's not always the case. No less than a #3. He'd be an awesome partner for a guy like OEL or Josi or Rielly.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He's definitely in that 31-62 range of NHL D-men when he's in the lineup. If he could produce even 30 pts a season, he'd be a #1D.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think on a contender he could anchor the 2nd pair, but on a poor team he could get by on the top pair. I voted #3, but that's really only in the "if I could build the perfect team, where would he play" type scenario. 2/3 I suppose.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
2nd pairing guy.

Outside of a number 1 dman, there's no real quantifiable way to say just what is a number 2,3,4,5,6 dman. It's much easier to identify the differences of a 1st pairing dman vs a 2nd pairing dman.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
2nd pairing guy.

Outside of a number 1 dman, there's no real quantifiable way to say just what is a number 2,3,4,5,6 dman. It's much easier to identify the differences of a 1st pairing dman vs a 2nd pairing dman.

Their are different levels of a second pairing guy just like how there is different levels of a first pairing guy. Slavin is a first pairing guy, but so is Hedman and Karlsson. Thats why theres the 1-6 thing. 3=high end 2nd pariing, 4 = low end 2nd pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->