He's a #8 defenseman.

chris-tanev.jpg

I'm serious. Deal with it.

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
A healthy Chris Tanev is a #2 defender.

In 2014/2015 he was the best defender on a team that finished with over 100 points, he absolutely destroyed incredibly difficult deployment and analytically speaking the only pairing more effective than Edler/Tanev that year was Giordano/Brodie.

The notion that this player is overrated is sheer madness, he's one of the most underrated players in the entire league. Absolutely his trade value is tainted due to his inability to stay healthy. When he's on the ice he's among the best shot suppressing defenders of this generation, and is a top 5 pure defensive defenders in the entire NHL.

Reactions: Tv9924

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Despite being the worst team in the entire NHL the past 3 seasons, the Canucks actually have a positive goal differential when Chris Tanev is on the ice. He does this while going against the toughest competition on the team, with the toughest defensive zone deployment (among defenders). \

I actually really hope Tanev gets traded to a team like Toronto, he will get appreciated there and the results of this poll would be drastically different.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's a top 62 defenseman, so he's a number 2 from simply a numbers game. On a good team, he's probably a 2/3, in that if he's the 2nd best, you probably want your number 3 to be pretty close to as good. Anyone saying 4 is simply wrong. Though it's not surprising given the posters

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
A healthy Chris Tanev is a #2 defender.

In 2014/2015 he was the best defender on a team that finished with over 100 points, he absolutely destroyed incredibly difficult deployment and analytically speaking the only pairing more effective than Edler/Tanev that year was Giordano/Brodie.

The notion that this player is overrated is sheer madness, he's one of the most underrated players in the entire league. Absolutely his trade value is tainted due to his inability to stay healthy. When he's on the ice he's among the best shot suppressing defenders of this generation, and is a top 5 pure defensive defenders in the entire NHL.

Despite being the worst team in the entire NHL the past 3 seasons, the Canucks actually have a positive goal differential when Chris Tanev is on the ice. He does this while going against the toughest competition on the team, with the toughest defensive zone deployment (among defenders). \

I actually really hope Tanev gets traded to a team like Toronto, he will get appreciated there and the results of this poll would be drastically different.
hey mate, this was a really good set of posts. I didn't realize this about Tanev, and I voted 3 but I feel I was wrong now.

Reactions: dim jim

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Oh please gimme a break @dim jim , in the last two seasons tanev has a +.77 rel xGF%. That’s relative to the Canucks. Raw he’s at 46.55%.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Oh please gimme a break @dim jim , in the last two seasons tanev has a +.77 rel xGF%. That’s relative to the Canucks. Raw he’s at 46.55%.
You're the exact type of poster who ruins advanced stats for everyone on this forum. Citing stats without any context, it's almost as useless as googling players stats from hockeydb and posting them.

In 2016/2017 Chris Tanev's most common defensive partner was Luca Sbisa, he was asked to carry around a below replacement level junk defender around, while playing against other teams best players in extremely tough deployment. The fact that he was able to have a positive gf% on the 2nd worst in the league is incredible. Sbisa has been a possession anchor everywhere he has gone the fact that Tanev was able to have close to an equal CFRel% is also incredible considering the context. If you knew anything about CF% would would know the biggest impact on it is QOT.

Tanev's cf% is again skewed by drastic deployment and poor QOT last year, he had some of the lowest OZ% starts in the league. Edler/Tanev when formed together have historically been one of the most effective defensive pairings in the NHL. Chris Tanev is not Victor Hedman he isn't going to carry arounf replacement level junk and make them look like solid NHL defenders, there's a reason why he's a solid #2 and not a franchise level #1 defender.

From 2013/2016 Chris Tanev led the entire NHL by a country mile in CARel/60, this was when he was playing with Edler instead of being asked to carry around replacement level junk.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
You're the exact type of poster who ruins advanced stats for everyone on this forum. Citing stats without any context, it's almost as useless as googling players stats from hockeydb and posting them.

In 2016/2017 Chris Tanev's most common defensive partner was Luca Sbisa, he was asked to carry around a below replacement level junk defender around, while playing against other teams best players in extremely tough deployment. The fact that he was able to have a positive gf% on the 2nd worst in the league is incredible. Sbisa has been a possession anchor everywhere he has gone the fact that Tanev was able to have close to an equal CFRel% is also incredible considering the context. If you knew anything about CF% would would know the biggest impact on it is QOT.

Tanev's cf% is again skewed by drastic deployment and poor QOT last year, he had some of the lowest OZ% starts in the league. Edler/Tanev when formed together have historically been one of the most effective defensive pairings in the NHL. Chris Tanev is not Victor Hedman he isn't going to carry arounf replacement level junk and make them look like solid NHL defenders, there's a reason why he's a solid #2 and not a franchise level #1 defender.

From 2013/2016 Chris Tanev led the entire NHL by a country mile in CARel/60, this was when he was playing with Edler instead of being asked to carry around replacement level junk.
Js past 2 seasons Tanev has had above average QoT. And yeah I will admit he had tough deployment. But in the last 2 seasons he hasn’t been amazing. Just above average results in tough (but not as tough as you are making them out to be) minutes.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I thought this was a poll to see where people saw Tanev as fitting, not a poll to force them to choose the OPs opinions.

At a certain point, choices become pointless. Does it stop at 6D. What about 7D or AHL defenseman? If there was a poll about the cup favourite, you theoretically should include all teams, but no one should really be complaining if the Canucks were left off. You also open the door for the uninformed. Anyone who would vote for 5 or 6 shouldn't be voting anyway becsuse they clearly have no ides what they're talking about

Reactions: 2Pair

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Ideally I think he's a second pairing guy but he can be a great partner on the top pair for a more offensive minded D-man like Rielly on the Leafs.

So I voted #3.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
surprised he wasn't hurt last night against Calgary. dude blocked like a million shots last night I kid you not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad