What defenseman do the Devils need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
On the surface, what a lot of you guys are saying is reasonable. Our D did not exactly light the world on fire this year.

But I think free agency is deceptive all around. The better moves are usually finishing touches on a contender - the Justin Williams, the Paul Martins, the Matt Niskanens.

Because we're a bubble team, it's tempting to try to force being competitive again by adding goals. From wherever. And I get it. The Palmieri-type deal doesn't happen every day. But it seems like a rush to be relevant, similar to what Minnesota has done the last few years. Maybe we're better off doing more fact-finding out about what we have in the first place.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I don't know if we necessarily need another defenseman, but I'd certainly like to bring Goligoski in.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know if we necessarily need another defenseman, but I'd certainly like to bring Goligoski in.

Yup there is no need. It is more of a luxury item.

And I'm not sure the timing makes much sense to be honest.

No question you can sure-up the defense by adding another solid defender, especially on the left side...But we were 8th in the league in Goals Against last season.

Why do we want to add what would be a very expensive 30+ year old defender, probably at the expense of some of our young players development? So we can be 6th in the league in Goals Against? Come on now...I'm not not even commenting on Goligoski's play...It just doesn't seem like a smart move to write a check for what is going to be well over 5 million per and probably for 4 or 5 years to get that UFA...

It sort of reminds me of how I "needed" a new fishing reel last month. :)

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Depends on the forward additions. If the team stays patient and doesn't make any substantial signings (at least one 20+ goal scorer), I don't really see the point of adding a defender.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Yup there is no need. It is more of a luxury item.

And I'm not sure the timing makes much sense to be honest.

No question you can sure-up the defense by adding another solid defender, especially on the left side...But we were 8th in the league in Goals Against last season.

Why do we want to add what would be a very expensive 30+ year old defender, probably at the expense of some of our young players development? So we can be 6th in the league in Goals Against? Come on now...I'm not not even commenting on Goligoski's play...It just doesn't seem like a smart move to write a check for what is going to be well over 5 million per and probably for 4 or 5 years to get that UFA...

It sort of reminds me of how I "needed" a new fishing reel last month. :)

I think it's less about tightening up our defense to allow less goals (which Schneider needs to be given his praise here more so than anyone I think) and more so tightening it up across multiple pairs, giving way for more offense. By spreading the minutes more evenly with stronger pairings I think that'll open up the game a bit more for our more offense-minded Dmen (like Severson) so that he has more opportunities to jump into the play without it costing us.

The biggest X-factor for me is Merrill. This year wasn't what I'd want from him to be honest but I think he can build on the stuff he did right and turn into a reliable ~2nd pairing guy. But should we run that risk? Maybe his potential just isn't as high as we'd hope, maybe his development has stagnated with all his injuries and being rushed a bit into the NHL. Because down the left-side we should have Greene and Schlemko for sure, I think they are quality top 4 defensemen. The 3rd pairing guy is up in the air though. Do we run with Merrill there, or what about Moore? If we bring Goligoski in then we can probably push Schlemko down to the 3rd pair which would be awesome to have such a good player that far down the depth chart. But then we're pretty much saying Merrill and/or Moore are done here.

There are a few tough decisions for Shero and co to make this summer, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
when forwards score, defensemen score.

Yeah sure.

Let's just watch Moore make millions of mistakes in the defensive zone again next year playing over his head on the second pairing. None of the guys we have are 2LD quality. We add that, it puts guys in proper roles and it gives Severson a stable partner for once.

It's a combination of filling a need and helping the development of our young players.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Still wish we had drafted Provorov

That said, I would certainly take an elite offensive d-man if we could get one, but I don't think it needs to be a priority. Severson, Larsson, Greene, and probably anyone else we play will put up better numbers as our forwards improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad