TV: What decade had the best cartoons?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
60's: Looney Tunes, Jonny Quest, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Speed Racer, Dudley Do-Right, Super Chicken, George of the Jungle...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Except Thundercats, which I never cared for, I watched all those too...Jetsons were actually from the 60s I believe and was intended to be a space age Flintstones, which was derived from Jackie Gleason's The Honeymooners so you KNOW that's old :wally:

I also watched a lot of the shorter-lived series. Robotech, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Pirates of Dark Water, Kidd Video, Captain N, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, Robotix, Gem, Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling, Mister T, Inhumanoids, Galaxy Rangers, Centurions, and God knows what else. Really can't remember them all.

Then there were the little kid shows like The Get-A-Long Gang, Kwiky Koala Show, Shirt Tales, Gummi Bears, Smurfs, Monchichis, etc. Also far too many to remember them all:laugh:

One of my favorites was a 60s cartoon that was still shown in 1979, The Marvel Superheroes. Had shorter cartoons featuring Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Namor the Submariner, and The Incredible Hulk - could swear one episode may have had the X-Men too. I couldn't watch it often as my dad didn't want me to, so I could only do it when he wasn't home (yeah, sometimes as a 4 year old I'd be home alone for short times, much different era back then).

EDIT: yep:

Damn, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch are much older characters than I thought:amazed:

Bolding mine:

Smurfs -- I was a teenager and my brother and sister still in elementary school when the originals of this were on, and I watched it with them. I thought they were pretty funny.

Marvel - But there was a F4 cartoon, right?

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Bolding mine:

Smurfs -- I was a teenager and my brother and sister still in elementary school when the originals of this were on, and I watched it with them. I thought they were pretty funny.

Marvel - But there was a F4 cartoon, right?
Hanna-Barbera had one, yes...a really bad one :laugh: They didn't do this The Marvel Superheroes one. And a lot of the theme songs still kicking around, especially the "Captain America and his mighty shield..." one came from that cartoon. Apparently Stan Lee liked them so much he wished Marvel had composed them.

Here was the show's main intro:

EDIT: I think there was a pre-Hanna-Barbera F4 cartoon done in a similar animation style to The Marvel Superheroes as well, saw some familiar looking YouTube videos. I think I've seen that one a couple times before, too.

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Can't help but notice no one's mentioning Tom & Jerry and all those classic MGM cartoons:laugh:

I was introduced to most of the classical music I know through Tom & Jerry (sad, ain't it? :laugh:) and even my 5 year old daughter loves them. Then there's also Droopy and Barney Bear. Probably some others I'm not able to remember at the moment.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
1980's

One shall stand.....one shall fall
3861183-rpv8uk.gif

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hanna-Barbera had one, yes...a really bad one :laugh: They didn't do this The Marvel Superheroes one. And a lot of the theme songs still kicking around, especially the "Captain America and his mighty shield..." one came from that cartoon. Apparently Stan Lee liked them so much he wished Marvel had composed them.

Here was the show's main intro:

EDIT: I think there was a pre-Hanna-Barbera F4 cartoon done in a similar animation style to The Marvel Superheroes as well, saw some familiar looking YouTube videos. I think I've seen that one a couple times before, too.

Yeah I think the 1967 HB one is what I was remembering.

And yeah those Marvel theme songs... "ain't he unglamorous" "he fights and fights with repulsor rays"

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Can't help but notice no one's mentioning Tom & Jerry and all those classic MGM cartoons:laugh:

I was introduced to most of the classical music I know through Tom & Jerry (sad, ain't it? :laugh:) and even my 5 year old daughter loves them. Then there's also Droopy and Barney Bear. Probably some others I'm not able to remember at the moment.

Osprey mentioned it on Page 1 and I agreed. I should have expanded on that more I suppose. Them (or at least Tom) & Scooby-Doo have always been my favorites.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Voted 90s but on second thought I'm gonna go with 80s, Voltron, He Man, Transformers, Thundercats, TMNT, Inspector Gadget, GI Joe. Loved all of those

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Thats a tough one, definitely not the 80s, thats essentially one big toy commercial. I'm gonna have to go against the grain and say late 90s early 2000s

Beast Wars/Beast Machines
Reboot
Justice League

Then theres the cartoon network nickelodeon stuff. A great time.

I'm a big fan of looney tunes though and I would give my respect to that, if I even knew which decade it was. Unfortunately its the definition of timeless, so I can't.

edit:

well, not against the grain

Ding ding ding.

Best cartoon ever.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What made 80's cartoon the best was the fact you could buy the toys too. The way companies marketed their shows to kids was crazy.
soundwave-robot.jpg

poster-1.jpg

skystriker_raised_iso.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad