U18: What chance is, that WJC U18 will happen?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Only way I see it happening is if the NHL pumps a huge amount of money into it for scounting reasons, so they can build a bubble like at the WJC. TSN probably wont be interested that much financially since the Leafs and Montreal are playing again.

Reactions: DeysArena

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2 hours from my house but across a border .. I was planning on going last April.

Hope it happens but skeptical. Nowhere near the money maker the U20s are.

I'll definitely tune in if it does

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Only way I see it happening is if the NHL pumps a huge amount of money into it for scounting reasons, so they can build a bubble like at the WJC. TSN probably wont be interested that much financially since the Leafs and Montreal are playing again.

TSN has a contractual agreement to broadcast the IIHF U18 event. If there's a tournament in whatever format I suspect the IIHF would want TSN to honor its agreement.

It would be nice for the sake of sport and development if all the Federations/Broadcasters/Sponsors/Pro Leagues came together to ensure this tournament happens.

Reactions: Speyer

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Its is not WCH U20 with amazing popularity in Canada. So, if it will be canceled, not a big deal. Maybe they will move it somewhere to Europe, where there will be COVID on decline.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
TSN has a contractual agreement to broadcast the IIHF U18 event. If there's a tournament in whatever format I suspect the IIHF would want TSN to honor its agreement.

It would be nice for the sake of sport and development if all the Federations/Broadcasters/Sponsors/Pro Leagues came together to ensure this tournament happens.

I am not arguing TSN wont broadcast it if it happens but I dont see them as a player going out of their way to rescue the tournament as NHL hockey is back and the U18's are not nearly as popular as the WJC.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Dreger mentioned the U18s being moved to Dallas a couple weeks ago and then tweeted it again today. Arena availability will be interesting. The Stars conclude their regular season with six road games so perhaps there's a small window to use the NHL rink, but they share the building with the Mavericks and their second half schedule is still TBD.

My buddy's kid just played in a tournament at Dallas' practice rink recently, so perhaps it would enough for the U18s.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nowhere near my house now.lol Czechs are in another pool of death!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Nowhere near my house now.lol Czechs are in another pool of death!
Hopefully Plymouth will get another opportunity to host the event once we get through this pandemic. I had tickets to the event for last year, but the tournament was canceled. As a NTDP season ticket holder, I get first dibs on our seats before tickets are made available for sale to the public. The venue here is very nice for an event of this size -- the U20 WJC Summer Showcase has been held here in the past, as well as the IIHF Women's World Championship.

Reactions: clevelandcane

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Hopefully Plymouth will get another opportunity to host the event once we get through this pandemic. I had tickets to the event for last year, but the tournament was canceled. As a NTDP season ticket holder, I get first dibs on our seats before tickets are made available for sale to the public. The venue here is very nice for an event of this size -- the U20 WJC Summer Showcase has been held here in the past, as well as the IIHF Women's World Championship.
I was quite excited to go last April... I had a nice weekend planned for it where I think we had a match we should win and a match we should lose. It was perfect! I've heard great things about the arena.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I had tickets too. I live near Cleveland so Plymouth is a perfect location.

Odd question... my daughter and I have been to many events at USA Hockey Arena there in Plymouth. Those blowers around the arena... they are horrible. I left with pnemonia one year. It's not the cold, it's the constant blowing of cold air in my face. Am I alone in this? I actually have video of my daughter sitting next to me with her hair blowing all over the place. It's ridiculous. Why don't they blow more towards the ice or up high, not right on the fans?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I had tickets too. I live near Cleveland so Plymouth is a perfect location.

Odd question... my daughter and I have been to many events at USA Hockey Arena there in Plymouth. Those blowers around the arena... they are horrible. I left with pnemonia one year. It's not the cold, it's the constant blowing of cold air in my face. Am I alone in this? I actually have video of my daughter sitting next to me with her hair blowing all over the place. It's ridiculous. Why don't they blow more towards the ice or up high, not right on the fans?
Yes, the blowers can be an issue at times. It's inconsistent - - some evenings they blow hard and it's very cold in our seats, while other evenings it's very comfortable and I will remove my coat. FYI, our seats are right at center ice in front of the press box. I am not sure how it is in other sections.

Reactions: clevelandcane

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Yes, the blowers can be an issue at times. It's inconsistent - - some evenings they blow hard and it's very cold in our seats, while other evenings it's very comfortable and I will remove my coat. FYI, our seats are right at center ice in front of the press box. I am not sure how it is in other sections.
We usually sit just to the side of the press box but we've moved around. Yikes. They need a better system.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Will Canada even send a team at the tournament? And if will, what players are gonna play for it? As far as I understand, Canadian junior leagues are at the middle or even start of the season.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Will Canada even send a team at the tournament? And if will, what players are gonna play for it? As far as I understand, Canadian junior leagues are at the middle or even start of the season.

Canadian kids are so talented, that they need 1 or 2 practices and could play for medals. Dont worry about the quality.

Reactions: illone84

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
I’m guessing OHL and JrA players. Some Q teams may have been ousted by then, so some of those players might be available.

I’ve read that Clarke, McTavish, and Ohtmann are all planning to go. Expect Ceulemans too. Savoie and Sillinger from the USHL are possibilities.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I’m guessing OHL and JrA players. Some Q teams may have been ousted by then, so some of those players might be available.

I’ve read that Clarke, McTavish, and Ohtmann are all planning to go. Expect Ceulemans too. Savoie and Sillinger from the USHL are possibilities.
WHL regular season started and going until mid-May. It should be a competitive team regardless because 2 elite WHL players are in the USHL like you said and should be available.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All players should be allowed to choose. They lost a year. They've lost premium opportunities to be scouted. They shouldn't be beholden to the clubs.

Reactions: chaser17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->