Celebrity Death: What celebrity death either hit you the hardest or made you sad?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Glenn Frey.

In 2013, the History of the Eagles Tour was making a stop in Winnipeg.

I wasn't going to go, but, something made me change my mind.

I'm so glad went.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Yeah probably Gandolfini for me. It was very sudden and I'm a big fan of the Sopranos. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Williams were sad too. Both were talented and Williams was such a hilarious person in interviews.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah probably Gandolfini for me. It was very sudden and I'm a big fan of the Sopranos. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Williams were sad too. Both were talented and Williams was such a hilarious person in interviews.

Its funny you say this because I actually remember there was a thread on imdb message board back when I visited it, and it was titled something like "I'm really concerned about James Gandolfinis weight" where the guy was basically saying hes seen pictures and he had gained an insane amount of weight since sopranos had ended. Of course the guy got torn to shreds and told to mind his own business. 6 months later of course it got bumped. I actually didn't watch a ton of sopranos but apparently it was even written into the last season of the show that he was gaining weight and looked terribly unhealthy.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Usually the ones that die really young.

Yelchin was one that I was bummed about due to dying in such a terrible way at a young age.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Its funny you say this because I actually remember there was a thread on imdb message board back when I visited it, and it was titled something like "I'm really concerned about James Gandolfinis weight" where the guy was basically saying hes seen pictures and he had gained an insane amount of weight since sopranos had ended. Of course the guy got torn to shreds and told to mind his own business. 6 months later of course it got bumped. I actually didn't watch a ton of sopranos but apparently it was even written into the last season of the show that he was gaining weight and looked terribly unhealthy.

I knew he had weight issues but I wasn't aware it had got worse after the Sopranos (if true). Anyway, that is indeed what they talked about as a possible reason. Still it was sad because it was sudden and not related to mental issues or drugs. Was only 51 too (had to check, i actually thought he was closer to 60).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Glenn Frey.

In 2013, the History of the Eagles Tour was making a stop in Winnipeg.

I wasn't going to go, but, something made me change my mind.

I'm so glad went.

I have more respect for Frey then Henley. Saw the doc on Eagles and while Fry comes of as an *******--he knew he was being an ******* and decided 'Here are the rules--you dont like it? **** off'

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
I know this technically counts an anime response, but I have to say, the late Koji Wada.

Digimon fans worth their salt know his contributions to the franchise, and not to mention his death was officially announced on 04082016.

Heh, reminds me too much of the term "spirit cooking", for starters, and I am NOT happy one bit.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This year: Bowie
Recent years: Robin Williams and Leonard Nimoy
In my lifetime: Steve Chaisson. I had interacted with him quite a few times in the Raleigh area. He frequented the golf course that one of my best friends at the time worked at and never had any problem talking with what I'm sure were a couple annoying teenagers, and even had us join him to play a round of golf once or twice. One of the nicest guys I ever met.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

fourth season episode "the strong, silent type" the guys hold an intervention for chris and in one scene, he responds to tony (gandolfini) saying something like "the way you eat you'll have a heart attack by the time you're fifty" which sadly was exactly what happened, off by a year

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
what made Amy Whinehouse's death sadder was that we all saw it coming. She was a regular in Camden Town here in London and she was seen all the time and how she changed was just shocking

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
This year, definitely Gordie Howe. Not just because I'm a Wings fan, but when the tributes started pouring in, it was obvious what a genuinely beloved man he was. He was as kind and gentle and humble off the ice, as he was a dirty SOB on it.

Whenever a celeb dies you get all the "they were such a great person" tributes from all and sundry, even when they were complete *******s, and everyone knew it. With Howe it was obvious that the tributes were genuine and heartfelt. That and seeing him in his last years with the dementia which was so sad. My own grandfather had dementia and it's just awful, seeing a once great man not even knowing which way is forwards is just horrible.

So yeah, Gordie. I'm sat here with watering eyes just typing this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->