Celebrity Death: What celebrity death either hit you the hardest or made you sad?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Robin Williams for sure. Worked at a newspaper at the time and the vast number of tributes we were being sent in was unbelievable. The guy was beloved.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
This year, Carrie Fisher. I am 46, and I've seen lots of celebrity deaths and always find them sad, so I'm not sure why this one struck such a chord with me. Probalby just growing up such a Star Wars fan, having the youth crush on her, and her not being all that much older than myself. I'm still stunned.

All-time, Len Bias. It hurt that year as a sports fan, but scared me and many people I know into staying away from coke. Lots of times through a basketball season, I'll still think what if.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Robin Williams. Grew up with the guy from Mork and Mindy on.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
As a person who would otherwise easily say "none", Fred Penner is the only celebrity death that hit me at all. Really sad day for me, mostly because I was still somewhat young so I remembered his show but old enough to grasp the meaning his show had beyond the enjoyment for children.

Come to think of it, the death of Fred Rogers hit me pretty hard, too...he had a lot to do with my upbringing, sad to say (from the perspective of how much TV I watched as a kid, since my father was a single parent who wasn't very good at the whole nurturing thing).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ever? Beefheart.

I never wanted to meet him, but he was a transformative figure for me personally, and I just liked knowing he was out there. He approached life and music from a brave and unique perspective, and the world seemed a little less rich when he died, maybe because I felt like what he represented died with him.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Christina Grimmie really hit me hard. Her age, the way it happened and the fact that I had seen some of her stuff on youtube earlier

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
In recent years I'd say Leonard Nimoy/Harold Ramis/Ultimate Warrior from WWF. All three were huge parts of my childhood in different ways.

As a kid, Kurt Cobain

In 2016, Anton Yelchin because he was so young, and had already done like 9-10 really memorable movie roles not including Star Trek.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can't say I've ever been impacted by a celebrity death very much beyond a few minutes of hearing the news. Part of it is because I don't know them on a personal level and the other part is because a number of them die every year, so it's just a natural part of life I've come to accept.

I feel more sorry for the loved ones they left behind, more than anything.

The only cases I can think of that bothered me to a degree...

I really enjoyed Sam Kinison's stand up when I was a teen. I remember pulling into my parents driveway and hearing the news on the radio that he was killed by a drunk driver and I sat there for a few minutes in shock and actually felt pretty angry.

When MJ died it was also a huge shock, and my wife was a huge fan, so I saw how much it bothered her. I personally felt sorry for MJ and how he was raised... it felt like he had his whole life messed up by his father and never found the happiness a human being deserves to have...

Paul Walker dying upset me because I just had my little daughter the year before and the way he died, with his daughter hearing the crash... that got to me. He was also said to have been a really good hearted guy and the world needs more people like that, not less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->