What can teams do with the lockout still in effect?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Kritter471, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Kritter471

Kritter471 Registered User

Staff Writer
    Reason I ask is the Stars have announced a "development camp" in Frisco (where their offices are) from July 11-16. The release didn't mention anything about the players I know are NHLPA members (Ott being the biggest name I can think of) but did say prospects such as Trevor Daley (NHL player for 15ish games, not sure if he's a PA member), goalie Dan Ellis (one game of NHL experience, not sure if a PA member) and Junior Lessard (signed a one year contract before the lockout happened, not sure when it expires) will be in attendence.

Here's a link to the release on the Stars webpage.
    http://www.dallasstars.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=2826

I was under the impression that the teams couldn't do anything with their players with the lockout in effect.... How off base am I?

2. Tap on the Ankle

Tap on the Ankle expert analysis

I think any player who has played an NHL game becomes a PA member.

3. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    I agree, but I imagine they are more then welcome to do things with AHL members and the team, which all 3 you mentioned are and unsigned prospects AHL tryout contracts .. Sort of like a rookie camp ..

4. Kritter471

Staff Writer
    When they had this camp last season, they purposely scheduled it the week before the CBA expired and the only notable players included that aren't mentioned this year are Ott and Miettinen (Ott is definitely a PA member, not sure about Mittenhands). My impression was it was because they had to have the guys with two-way contracts in the hands of their AHL teams before the lockout for legal reasons.

Again, if it was just guys I knew weren't PA members (Smith, Eriksson, Lessard [though his contract status confuses me]. et al), I wouldn't find it as strange. But the presence of Daley and Smith with the Stars rather than the new Iowa Stars affiliate or the previous affiliates of Hamilton and Houston is... odd to me.

5. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown Registered User

Home Page:
    That is incorrect. NHLPA members are players listed as NHL players by each team. The NHL teams provided a list prior to the lockout and it determined who has voting rights in the NHLPA for this lockout.

P.S.: Of course, I doubt the NHL can list just anyone, there are rules, but for some players, it was the NHL teams making the difference.

6. Mess

Mess Global Moderator

Home Page:
    Perhaps as long as the CBA is not discussed, and all teams are doing it then it is being allowed .

Usually you are 100% correct that management is not allowed to communicate with union members .. You become a NHLPA member immediately as soon as you have played your first NHL game ..

7. nomorekids

nomorekids The original, baby

Home Page:
    Nashville basically admitted to getting around the rules for their prospect camp by re-naming it "Milwaukee Admirals development camp", though it's still in Nashville, and guys like Suter, Weber, Upshall and Radulov will be there.

8. NYR469

NYR469 Registered User

Home Page:
    rangers did the same thing and had a 'hartford wolfpack camp'

9. Kritter471

Staff Writer
    Yeah, see, that's how they'd go around it. But I don't see a hint of that in the Stars release ("the Stars are prepared to hold..." though I guess they could be talking about the still-forming Iowa Stars AHL franchise).

I assume the Admirals camp was run by Admirals staff, just where they could be observed by Predators management-type-folk?

10. HockeyCritter

HockeyCritter Registered User

If the players attending the camp are fresh out of juniors or played in the AHL last season there's nothing in the rules to say the parent club cannot hold a development camp.

11. nomorekids

nomorekids The original, baby

Home Page:
    I'm sure Trotz and company will be present, "unofficially" observing in the same way they "unofficially" helped coach the Admirals at the beginning of the season.

12. Hedberg

Hedberg MLD Glue Guy

These are camps are officially AHL developement camps

13. 19nazzy

19nazzy Registered User

From the old cba

14. danaluvsthekings

danaluvsthekings Registered User

I think teams might also have these camps run by their minor league staffs because of NCAA regulations as well. I know the college players have to pay their way to the camps and I think the NHL coaches can't be on the ice because of eligibility issues for the players. I could be mistaken but I thought I read that somewhere. In the past, prior to the lockout, the Kings have had these camps as well but none of their coaches have been on the ice if I remember correctly. So that's what makes me think that its more than just wanting the NHL management types to observe. Because otherwise you could always let the coaches on the ice and video tape the sessions to go back over otherwise so they could see the players from both perspectives.

15. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

The Flames are having prospect camp in Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.