What can AA get in a trade?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Teams want to pay you for the lackasdaisical AA. The fact that he “can” put his mark on a game is less important than the fact that 75% of the time he will be coasting.

He’s a buy low option for teams not someone they’re gonna bang down the door for.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Teams want to pay you for the lackasdaisical AA. The fact that he “can” put his mark on a game is less important than the fact that 75% of the time he will be coasting.

He’s a buy low option for teams not someone they’re gonna bang down the door for.

Tyler Myers was a buy low guy. AA is guy you throw in to even out a deal. He's not even a centerpiece of a deal anymore.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I don't, he was never the most consistent in the CHL or the AHL, and its not like he's playing an engaged style with Detroit, meaning its more about him taking shifts off which is a personal problem.
Is it that or maybe hes just not really that good and people have figured him out now? I don't know with him any more.

chris05

May 23, 2013
the problem with the wings is that they are not a very good team with a very bad coach who should have been given his walking papers.

Reactions: lilidk

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
I asked on the Carolina boards, how much Detroit would have to add to AA in a deal for Justin Faulk. It wasn't pretty (1, if not 2 first rounders, which no longer makes it worthwhile, IMO).

His best use is probably if somebody like Dellandrea is still there at 24, and you offer AA and 30 to get him.

Ironic you should mention Dellandrea... that's who I was going to suggest trading up to get with our 30th and some other asset (AA). I think Dellandrea is under-rated by some and would be a great pick.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
the problem with the wings is that they are not a very good team with a very bad coach who should have been given his walking papers.

See that's just not right.

They're not a very good team. That much is accurate. Blashill is kinda hamstrung by having a pretty awful roster. Places where he's had a pretty good roster (AHL, Worlds) he's won a title or medaled.

Why is he a bad coach? He can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****? I mean, don't get me wrong. He's not a top ten coach in hockey. But the Wings have problems in the talent department, not the coaches seat. Blashill is a mediocre coach who won't have a lockeroom turn against him, but also won't be able to bleed wins from a dry stone.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I disagree with that. I think AA still has some intrigue to a lot of teams.

He doesn't though. Or if he does it's intrigue of the "we'll wait for him to be waived and then maybe toss him a league minimum deal" or "we'll toss Detroit a sixth or something so when he fails, we're not out a whole lot."

He has "intrigue" to you because you look at his highlight reel play. Other teams and more and more Detroit too have lost or are losing faith in him ever being consistent because of the other 80% of the game.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
He doesn't though. Or if he does it's intrigue of the "we'll wait for him to be waived and then maybe toss him a league minimum deal" or "we'll toss Detroit a sixth or something so when he fails, we're not out a whole lot."

He has "intrigue" to you because you look at his highlight reel play. Other teams and more and more Detroit too have lost or are losing faith in him ever being consistent because of the other 80% of the game.

I'll say it again... AA has good potential to be a good player in the NHL, but to me, it has more to do with what AA controls. I've been watching him closely for years (since his OHL days with London) and I've seen the good and the bad. Much of what I see and have heard is attitude. And, it is too bad, because he has potential. I keep hoping, for his sake, that he out-grows some of his attitude problems, turns the page, and becomes the best AA he can be. Otherwise, all it will be is potential, and that dies fast at the NHL level.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'll say it again... AA has good potential to be a good player in the NHL, but to me, it has more to do with what AA controls. I've been watching him closely for years (since his OHL days with London) and I've seen the good and the bad. Much of what I see and have heard is attitude. And, it is too bad, because he has potential. I keep hoping, for his sake, that he out-grows some of his attitude problems, turns the page, and becomes the best AA he can be. Otherwise, all it will be is potential, and that dies fast at the NHL level.

That's basically what I'm saying. He's rapidly approaching the point of no return. AA has no excuse for being as poorly engaged in games as he is. He has the physical prowess and the confidence that he should be a ****ing star. I mean, when he's truly on... he's a big, fast nightmare for the opposition. He's got silky hands and actually has some good stickwork on D. But he just doesn't utilize his skills. And I really do think that if he's going to make it in the NHL, he needs to get chucked out on his ass by Detroit and picked up by someone else. Not because Detroit is bad or anything... just like how Cleary was a 1st round pick of the Hawks but was terrible until he was a scrap-pile pickup for Detroit and went onto being a vital piece of the late 2000s Cup teams.

AA needs a "hit rock bottom" type of moment and then have the stones to pick himself up after it.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
As a measuring stick, a 24YO Tomas Jurco pulled a late 3rd coming off 1-3/4 seasons of mostly sitting in the press box or being a non factor when dressed.

By that standard, AA by himself is probably worth at least a mid 2nd. However, I think he's more of a deal sweetener if they're trying move up in the 1st round, or trying to acquire a top4 D or D prospect.

That said, I also wonder if AA's contract status and his teams impending need to have to deal with Derrin Ferris drops his value a little.

I'll bet he would've pulled more had they traded him last summer when he was holding out.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

IMO, AA is on track to become another Michael Grabner type. Since speed is becoming the new size in the NHL, AA will probably have a few more seasons to figure it out, but probably won't produce, contribute or play a complete game enough to end up being any more than a low paid and expendable mercenary 3rd line guy with a short leash.

They should have AA spend part of the summer with Kris Draper in hopes he can learn at least the basics in how to take faceoffs, fore/backcheck, and play in his own zone. Then maybe he can get some more of that ice team he feels he's entitled to.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
AA's abilities with Draper's motor would make for a fun player to watch...but I'd be very surprised if Andreas figures that out while still in Detroit.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
See that's just not right.

They're not a very good team. That much is accurate. Blashill is kinda hamstrung by having a pretty awful roster. Places where he's had a pretty good roster (AHL, Worlds) he's won a title or medaled.

Why is he a bad coach? He can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****? I mean, don't get me wrong. He's not a top ten coach in hockey. But the Wings have problems in the talent department, not the coaches seat. Blashill is a mediocre coach who won't have a lockeroom turn against him, but also won't be able to bleed wins from a dry stone.
Should we be happy that we don't have Chelios or Granato as a coach ? I don't see any veteran leadership from players who always bring it and that is coach job

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
IMO, AA is on track to become another Michael Grabner type. Since speed is becoming the new size in the NHL, AA will probably have a few more seasons to figure it out, but probably won't produce, contribute or play a complete game enough to end up being any more than a low paid and expendable mercenary 3rd line guy with a short leash.

They should have AA spend part of the summer with Kris Draper in hopes he can learn at least the basics in how to take faceoffs, fore/backcheck, and play in his own zone. Then maybe he can get some more of that ice team he feels he's entitled to.

That's all good, but HE has to want to do that extra work. My point is that the puck is in his corner, what is HE going to do to change. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water....

Reactions: ShelbyZ

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
That's basically what I'm saying. He's rapidly approaching the point of no return. AA has no excuse for being as poorly engaged in games as he is. He has the physical prowess and the confidence that he should be a ****ing star. I mean, when he's truly on... he's a big, fast nightmare for the opposition. He's got silky hands and actually has some good stickwork on D. But he just doesn't utilize his skills. And I really do think that if he's going to make it in the NHL, he needs to get chucked out on his ass by Detroit and picked up by someone else. Not because Detroit is bad or anything... just like how Cleary was a 1st round pick of the Hawks but was terrible until he was a scrap-pile pickup for Detroit and went onto being a vital piece of the late 2000s Cup teams.

AA needs a "hit rock bottom" type of moment and then have the stones to pick himself up after it.

I hear what you are saying. I'm just hoping he turns it around before the Cleary example happens to him [and Detroit], too. But, I'm also skeptical. That's why I say trade him if you have the chance, because he does have a history of the "'tude" and drive problems.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Should we be happy that we don't have Chelios or Granato as a coach ? I don't see any veteran leadership from players who always bring it and that is coach job

No, that's the player's job. Veteran leadership? That's the job of a guy like Zetterberg, a guy like Kronwall. Blashill's job is to put guys in places to succeed. He doesn't do that quite enough, but that's also because there is no amount of deck chair re-arranging that will prevent DDK from having too large of a role. They have a bunch of guys who are woefully undertalented for the roles they're asked to play. They have a team full of guys who would be good to great on the bottom half of a roster. But since you have to have them play in the top half of a roster, they look like garbage. And their prospect guys aren't ready to jump up there yet.

But there is a big difference between "this guy is terrible and shouldn't have a job in the league" and "this guy is mediocre".

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I hear what you are saying. I'm just hoping he turns it around before the Cleary example happens to him [and Detroit], too. But, I'm also skeptical. That's why I say trade him if you have the chance, because he does have a history of the "'tude" and drive problems.

I hope he will too, but I have no reason to believe that he will. He's had enough "for real, AA, last chance for you to get your ass in gear or you're benched" moments that I don't think the leopard changes his spots. Seriously, I really do hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see where I am. I mean, he's getting into his 3rd full season and "he's doing the same ****. He comes in on Tuesday and ****s around. Wednesday, Thursday, and ****s around. And teams just laugh at him because they know he's gonna ****ing quit. "

(sorry, bout that last line. Devolved into Ron English speech)

Reactions: MikeyDee

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
I hope he will too, but I have no reason to believe that he will. He's had enough "for real, AA, last chance for you to get your ass in gear or you're benched" moments that I don't think the leopard changes his spots. Seriously, I really do hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see where I am. I mean, he's getting into his 3rd full season and "he's doing the same ****. He comes in on Tuesday and ****s around. Wednesday, Thursday, and ****s around. And teams just laugh at him because they know he's gonna ****ing quit. "

(sorry, bout that last line. Devolved into Ron English speech)

"Ron English speech".... LOL! :laugh:

masta8

Apr 26, 2018

If AA ended up becoming a Grabner type, then as a Wings fan I would be thrilled. Considering he has had 3 25+ goal seasons and is a consistent goal scorer. Worth noting Grabner was a lottery pick and AA was a 4th round pick, so if your comparing him to Grabner I would be satisfied. Unfortunately, I am one of the few people on this forum that still have any sort of faith anymore and confident he will bounce back and become more of an impact player. Hopefully he arbitration goes smoothly, but regardless he will have a full training game and exhibition games to work with.

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
If AA ended up becoming a Grabner type, then as a Wings fan I would be thrilled. Considering he has had 3 25+ goal seasons and is a consistent goal scorer. Worth noting Grabner was a lottery pick and AA was a 4th round pick, so if your comparing him to Grabner I would be satisfied. Unfortunately, I am one of the few people on this forum that still have any sort of faith anymore and confident he will bounce back and become more of an impact player. Hopefully he arbitration goes smoothly, but regardless he will have a full training game and exhibition games to work with.

Well, considering how lengthy the last arbitration was, I don't hold out hope.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
That's basically what I'm saying. He's rapidly approaching the point of no return. AA has no excuse for being as poorly engaged in games as he is. He has the physical prowess and the confidence that he should be a ****ing star. I mean, when he's truly on... he's a big, fast nightmare for the opposition. He's got silky hands and actually has some good stickwork on D. But he just doesn't utilize his skills.
Honestly if i were an NHL gm I'd be all over a player with that description. A player most gms seem to have zero faith in. He has the kind of talents you can't teach, and the place he's most lacking tends to come with age. I know he's not a teenager anymore, but maturity still keeps coming to some people, even until 30. He has time to flip the switch. He just needs the right atmosphere, the right coach. The right mindset. And that's a bet with very high potential payoff.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Yeah, cause nothing fixes laziness and a lack of hockey IQ like training camp and exhibition games. I wouldn't hold out much hope for the Creedence.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I would be surprised. Custance said on the Athletic they just aren't getting the kind of offers on AA they would need to move him because other teams aren't sure about him. His inconsistencies worry teams it sounded like.
Even with his consistency issues he's damn productive. And with limited minutes too.

Not quite sure why that's such a problem. We're not asking for a top10 pick here. A late first for a guy who outproduces most people taken in the 2nd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad