What brand of hockey should this team play?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The thing that pissed me off, probably the most, about Gillis's press conference is his stance that this team needs to react to the trends. I fully disagree with that. The trends are what they are because some teams took this approach and they won with it. Now other teams are taking a similar approach, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are successful. St. Louis was bounced in round 1 this year, and was swept in round 2 last year, and they're probably the epitome of a defensive but gritty team.

IMO the most successful teams dictate their own style and don't just react to what other teams are doing.

The trends Gillis talks about have to do with refereeing standards and not how other teams play.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The thing that pissed me off, probably the most, about Gillis's press conference is his stance that this team needs to react to the trends. I fully disagree with that. The trends are what they are because some teams took this approach and they won with it. Now other teams are taking a similar approach, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are successful. St. Louis was bounced in round 1 this year, and was swept in round 2 last year, and they're probably the epitome of a defensive but gritty team.

IMO the most successful teams dictate their own style and don't just react to what other teams are doing.

They need to be ahead of the curve. Also wouldn't hurt if our owners were in the old boys club with Burke, Jacobs, Tannenbaum, Snider.

StringerBell

Attacking offense with an emphasis on puck support and pressure defense. I'm tired of watching the perimeter based puck possession that doesn't allow players to go to contested scoring areas. I also hate watching our defensemen give up the blueline every time on the rush. Stand up and pressure the attacking forwards! Don't be afraid to make hits there like you did two years ago.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

This is simplistic.

For every successful team that "dictates trends" you have 4 other ones where the fans are all crying and screaming about how ineffective and unadaptable their coach is.

Seeing that the parameters of the game (ie. the standard of officiating) are changing and moving to adapt to those changes should not piss you off unless you expect the Canucks to live some storybook sports movie ******** instead of reality.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
"New" NHL teams:
- obstruct down low with no penalties
- collapse in front of goalies
- heavy forecheck

Teams in New Pacific Conference
- BIG forwards
- lots of C depth

The New system should
- have a new top pairing puckmover for quick transitions
- have defensemen pinch
- big forwards who can cycle (sorry Sedins)
- offensive dmen who can jump into the slot when Sedins are cycling

Basically we need a Mike Green and some Joel Wards in our bottom six. Team defense should become a priorty however the best defense in the "New" NHL is a puck possession game based on cycling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->