What brand of hockey should this team play?

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
"Five years ago we came in here and reset this organization and it's time to do it again," Gillis said. "When I took this job we decided on a style of play [skill, speed, puck possession] that resulted in great success, and clearly the landscape has changed and we have to address those changes".

"I don't think the style of play is any longer a one-off; I think it's a trend and we have to address it".

Both of those quotes are from Gillis at the year-end press conference last Thursday, it appears Gillis believes the league is moving away from a skill and speed oriented style, and towards a crash and bang style. He mentioned the landscape has changed, and that the Canucks need to evolve and get bigger and younger.

Honestly, this is the first offseason in a long time I think Gillis has it wrong.

When I look around the league at the teams doing really well, those who are succeeding in the playoffs, I see a lot of speed and skill. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, Ottawa, Detroit are all built with the same system gillis wants to change. Heck, San Jose beat us with skill while we were outhitting them and trying to be the bigger team. Yeah, Boston, Anaheim, and LA are all big teams that have had success, but all of those teams also have tremendous skill and speed.

And why would the league want to move away from skill and speed which are the exciting parts of the game? These are the part of the game that fill the seats, generate revenue, and grow the sport. The end to end style is so exciting, and makes this sport different from other sports like football basketball and baseball. Who would generate more audience and popularity in the finals, Pittsburgh v Chicago or LA v Boston?

If Gillis moves out skill and brings in size and banks on the league going in the direction of LA and Boston instead of Chicago or Pittsburgh, he is wrong. We have a ton of skill and speed, we should play to our strengths and get even faster and more skilled. We already have decent size, any more and we will sacrifice other aspects of the game,

What do you guys think! Is Gills right in his assessment, or is he out to lunch on this? What aspects of the game should we focus on to give us the best chance of success? For me, it's speed and skill. Speed skills!

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
"Five years ago we came in here and reset this organization and it's time to do it again," Gillis said. "When I took this job we decided on a style of play [skill, speed, puck possession] that resulted in great success, and clearly the landscape has changed and we have to address those changes".

"I don't think the style of play is any longer a one-off; I think it's a trend and we have to address it".

Both of those quotes are from Gillis at the year-end press conference last Thursday, it appears Gillis believes the league is moving away from a skill and speed oriented style, and towards a crash and bang style. He mentioned the landscape has changed, and that the Canucks need to evolve and get bigger and younger.

Honestly, this is the first offseason in a long time I think Gillis has it wrong.

When I look around the league at the teams doing really well, those who are succeeding in the playoffs, I see a lot of speed and skill. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, Ottawa, Detroit are all built with the same system gillis wants to change. Heck, San Jose beat us with skill while we were outhitting them and trying to be the bigger team. Yeah, Boston, Anaheim, and LA are all big teams that have had success, but all of those teams also have tremendous skill and speed.

And why would the league want to move away from skill and speed which are the exciting parts of the game? These are the part of the game that fill the seats, generate revenue, and grow the sport. The end to end style is so exciting, and makes this sport different from other sports like football basketball and baseball. Who would generate more audience and popularity in the finals, Pittsburgh v Chicago or LA v Boston?

If Gillis moves out skill and brings in size and banks on the league going in the direction of LA and Boston instead of Chicago or Pittsburgh, he is wrong. We have a ton of skill and speed, we should play to our strengths and get even faster and more skilled. We already have decent size, any more and we will sacrifice other aspects of the game,

What do you guys think! Is Gills right in his assessment, or is he out to lunch on this? What aspects of the game should we focus on to give us the best chance of success? For me, it's speed and skill. Speed skills!

Skill and tenacity.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I really hope it's something like LA v Pittsburgh in the finals to highlight the fact that speed trumps size.

I'd rather see San Jose or Chicago go the distance if they idea is to promote skill and speed over physicality. If Detroit downs Anaheim and San Jose wins over LA. It will go a long way in showcasing that skill oriented teams can not only still compete but also win in this league.

Whining, diving, biting, and general classlessness.

Might as well, since we aren't getting calls unless we do.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I really hope it's something like LA v Pittsburgh in the finals to highlight the fact that speed trumps size.

That would mean Chicago did not win the west, with there skill, so it would set a dangerous president for us going into our new division with LA.

Would be better in the long run if Chicago ***** slapped LA in 4. But that might be hard for fans to stomach.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Play winning hockey.

I remember Aquaman said that five years ago when asked about the style they should play - "My favourite style of hockey is winning" or something to that effect.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013

I'd rather not see LA in the final round again. Doesn't Anaheim have more size? Anyway, I'd rather Anaheim or Chicago.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Gillis is right in saying the league is headed in that direction. It doesn't make sense to de-emphasise skill from a marketing point of view you say!? Clutch and grab dead puck era, trap era etc - it didn't make sense then either but they let it happen. Post lockout they opened the game up but they sat by and let it regress to the 5 goalie era. It doesn't make sense, but they don't seem to care to fix it.

I hope the attacking, attractive, skill teams can win this year. It's not a given they won't. Detroit is hanging in there, 50% chance. Chicago is through one round albeit vs a weak team. NYR vs Wash is the only other def vs skill matchup left (the rest have been similar vs similar).

Gillis is wrong, skill teams can do well, at least during reg seasons.

Gillis is right, skill teams haven't done as well during the playoffs as their reg season results imply.

Gillis is right the team needs a reset. He did a great job the first time, recognised the strengths and weaknesses, redefining the team's play style, coaching etc. He's going to have to rethink this team.

Gillis is wrong if he thinks he can turn this team into a big corner grinding team. I hope he goes back to fitting the style to the players not trying to force the players into an incompatible style. It might be less playoff compatible but better to get 100% from what you have than 50%.

Gillis is right this the 6 goalie system, grinding in corners and hope for a break works - if you have the right players. We don't have a team to grind through it, yet we dump and chase? We'd be far better counter attacking before those teams can set up with speed not dump and grind.

Whatever coach we get next should determine who stays and who goes.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Winning. If how you play is more important then if you win you don't understand competitive sports.

Winning isn't a style, you win by chosing the most effective style for your team and executing it better than your opposition.

King of the ES*

Skill will always win out. You can't "manage" your way to a Stanley Cup, which should be this franchise's sole goal. The Canucks didn't have a certain style of play this year, they just weren't that good in general. It's not the same experience watching the Canucks as it is watching the Hawks or the Pens, and that's because the former is far inferior to the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad