What ballot of HOFer will Marc-Andre Fleury be?

What ballot will Fleury be for the HOF?

• Total voters

Crow

May 19, 2014
What resume? No individual awards and the 3 cups where 2 of them he sat on the bench for. He's not a HoFer period.
I have a feeling people will forget that or how very mediocre he was overall in favor of his longevity. Great example of a compiler. Patrick Marleau in goal form until this year. That said this year will go a long way. Finally an individual accolade of some type.

Last edited:

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Pretty easily Luongo, Brodeur, Lundqvist

then arguments can be made for Price, Miller, and Rask. Vasilevskyi is right there though not a lot of time
Brodeur, Luongo and Miller aren't millenials.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That was a vote done by the NHL and its mediocre writers. The HHOF selection committee is a completely different group of people and aside from some recent choices like Lowe / Housley, have done a pretty good job at keeping the hall reserved for the best of the best.
You really think so?

I'm not sure how to connect that when they added many what people call compilers. What Fleury is doing is in their vein, yet with also a surprisingly his best career years unquestionably are now this year and Vegas's first year.

I'm not sure who exactly voted on that all decade team but these lists do often have common members. There were some active HOF voters on the NHL top 100 list a few years back. Their mentalities aren't at all different. They value things people who say things on here shouldn't be valued all the time. Sure, plenty of things individualized wise he was a bad or average goalie a lot of years, but to HOF voters they see him as a winner in those years.

The Goalie standard has been strict but nobody in recent eras has had a case. I think Luo and Hank are probably in too. But Thomas was just an odd case of playing too little. CuJo has wins like Fleury will have, but had no cup success and no big great story rebound elite years like Fleury right now. The HHOF loves and rewards players with wins and cups and I would but shocked if they keep passing off on a player that fits their little details that gets so many other undeservers in.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Probably will be 1st ballot. But should be maybe a 2nd ballot guy. He's got all sorts of media hype lining up behind him already, and he does have quite the fascinating story and career arc to accompany his various accolades and statistical merits. I just think the consistency has been far too rollercoaster to call him a slam dunk 1st ballot HoF guy. Especially considering some of the others who aren't in there.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Right place at the right time.

Probably 1st ballot but he is like 25th in GAA and 31st in save % since he entered the league (min games)

No individual awards.

Reactions: Paul4587

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
You really think so?

I'm not sure how to connect that when they added many what people call compilers. What Fleury is doing is in their vein, yet with also a surprisingly his best career years unquestionably are now this year and Vegas's first year.

I'm not sure who exactly voted on that all decade team but these lists do often have common members. There were some active HOF voters on the NHL top 100 list a few years back. Their mentalities aren't at all different. They value things people who say things on here shouldn't be valued all the time. Sure, plenty of things individualized wise he was a bad or average goalie a lot of years, but to HOF voters they see him as a winner in those years.

The Goalie standard has been strict but nobody in recent eras has had a case. I think Luo and Hank are probably in too. But Thomas was just an odd case of playing too little. CuJo has wins like Fleury will have, but had no cup success and no big great story rebound elite years like Fleury right now. The HHOF loves and rewards players with wins and cups and I would but shocked if they keep passing off on a player that fits their little details that gets so many other undeservers in.

The HHOF will see him as most of us do. A guy who was lucky enough to be a drafted to a team who went one to draft two of the top 3 players of the era right after him. Those two players carried the team to three cups, only one of which he was the starter. The one time he was he starter; he really wasn't impressive save for the "secret service save" during that playoff run he had .908 SV% and a 2.61GAA... so not like he was a big reason why they won . & after that he'd have a 4 year stretch where he was arguably the worst playoff goalie in NHL history or one of them.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
3 great seasons and people are using the term generational lol.

A majority of his career he was average to below average. He shouldn't be in, but he will be on numbers alone. He's a product of his environment imo.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The HHOF will see him as most of us do.
Lol, what rational makes you think that? Guys who get to that voting point aren't with that mentality at all. Ex players/long term media guys still go with the team and winners mentality.

All evidence shows how they value wins, piling up stats, and cups despite you significant you were to your peers or team. That's how you get so many HOFers people call bad choices.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lol, what rational makes you think that? Guys who get to that voting point aren't with that mentality at all. Ex players/long term media guys still go with the team and winners mentality.

All evidence shows how they value wins, piling up stats, and cups despite you significant you were to your peers or team. That's how you get so many HOFers people call bad choices.

The fact that they have been super stingy when it comes to goalies. They want to see some actual individual success with them. Yea he has a bunch of wins but playing with Sid & Geno will do that to you - look how good Matt Murray was in PIT and once traded he regressed significantly. Piling up stats? He ranks below 20 in his career, look at the poster a few posts above.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Absolutely 100% 1st ballot

No doubt in my mind what so ever

Sincerely asking: what are you basing that on? To date Fleury has zero Vezina nominations. Not zero Vezina awards. Zero nominations. Maybe gets his first this nomination this year? And if he wins one, is that enough? As mentioned before, for the last few decades, the HOF has elected about one goalie every 5+ years. That is really strict. Do you have a case for Fleury above Thomas, Lundqvist, Luongo, Rinne, Quick, Price, Bobrovsky, CuJo, Kiprusoff, etc.?

EDIT: And, again, I like Fleury. I have yet to see someone make the case for him above all of those guys though.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
His case is basically WINZ and CUPZ, he has 1.5 cups on the most dominant team of a decade and zero personal awards. This will be the first season in his career he's even been nominated for the Vezina and he played 36 games. It's going to be unbelievably stupid when a guy who was at best maybe the 10-15th best goalie of his era will be a first ballot HOFer.

I wouldn't even go as far as Hall of Very Good, it's more like Hall of Good with Longevity. Chris Osgood doesn't belong anywhere near the Hall and Fleury is just Osgood 2.0.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
He is a poor man's Osgood

That's ridiculous. Look at his regular and postseason stats since he got to Vegas. Regular Season: .917 % and 2.41 GAA; Playoffs: .924% and 2.23 GAA.

Heck, go back even a few years before then. Since 2014, he has mostly flourished.

Maybe it was being freed from Dan Bylsma's brand of hockey, maybe it was him seeing a sport psychologist, maybe it was him maturing ... or having players more capable at defense on the ice in front of him. Whatever the reason, it's clear that the stat-compiler label hasn't applied to him for a while, unless you're talking about shutouts — he has the most in the league (23) since the start of the 2017-18 season (one more than Vasilevskiy).

Goalies who ride others' coattails do not lead the league in shutouts over a four-year span ... wait, I just checked to see total shutouts since the 2014-15 season, and when you factor in the years when Matt Murray was supplanting him in Pittsburgh, it turns out that Fleury widens his lead in shutouts — he has 39 since then, and Rask is second during that seven-year span, with only 29.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
The Fleury slander is laughable, easily a top 3 goalie of his generation. 1st ballot HOF and possibly better with age. Pens fans slam this guy while Caps fans wish they had a goaltender as clutch as Fleury for a decade.
Incorrect, Fleury took the first win of the conference finals (with a shutout no less) and all eight before that. Murray played the rest, but it was Fleury who took most of the wins.
This. Hard to argue with a Cup but the hook on Fleury was pretty rough and unwarranted, guy absolutely stole the series versus the Capitals and badly outplayed Holtby in the process. The Capitals were the better team that year, difference was in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->