What ballot of HOFer will Marc-Andre Fleury be?

What ballot will Fleury be for the HOF?

• Total voters

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
IMO, one of the most disrespected stars of this generation. Puts Vegas on the map, leads team to playoffs for 3 years, then they signed Lehner long term and give Lehner the starters job, and is put on the trade block.

Then Lehner gets hurt, and Fleury comes out and has a Vezina-calibre season.

What ballot will he be in the HOF? (He is absolutely making it, question is just what ballot)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
First.

Very high profile name, with a very good story/well liked. That'll help be first, even if he may not be among the strongest candidate. Of course depending on who reties the year he does, it could slip to second

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Ideally never.

BTW first ballot.... are you guys OK? Superior goalies like Giacomin, Holmes, Worters, Brimsek and Broda had to wait a long time to get in.
You understand these committees and how they view guys, yes it makes sense.

Superior in ability and individual results but Flower is already boosted by all the things shouldn't matter but do: cup numbers, story, media reputation, etc.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I mean, he's one of the best goaltender of his generation, hands down. He should be a 1st ballot

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Probably 1st, especially if he gets the Vezina this year.

Gotta remember these last few groups have been fairly weak. I don't think there will be a big logjam in the near future, either (especially if not having a 2021 class gets cleared up reasonably quickly).

If Marian Hossa is a very recent first ballot HOFer, I see no reason MAF shouldn't be as well.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This thread wouldn’t exist if he was drafted and played for someone like Minnesota or Arizona instead of the Pens for the first dozen years of his career.

if he’s a generational goaltending then what are Price Lundqvist, Luongo or even Ryan Miller? I take all four of them any day of the week over Fleury.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Five goalies inducted into the HOF in the last ~27 years. Guys like Lundqvist, Luongo, Thomas, Rinne, Price, CuJo, Bobrovsky, etc. on the outside looking in and coming due at some point... maybe. MAF with zero Vezina nominations to date (though obviously could change this year).

Completely serious: I honestly have no idea. But this gets weird when you consider the limited number of goalies that have been admitted over the years. If the trend is going to continue be admitting one goalie every five years or so, I see it being extremely unlikely that he's first ballot.

EDIT: And wouldn't be shocked if he never gets in. Not saying he's not been great at times. And I love the Vegas addendum to his career. But that's stiff competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I used to be a hater (largely cause I hate the Pens), but MAF should be a first ballot hall of famer. Very impressive resume.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
By every objective measure he is slightly above average since entering the league. No major awards considerations. He is the compiler of the goalie position. Being just okay for a long period of time is sometimes enough to get skaters in the Hall but goalies this is historically untrue.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
1st ballot isn't really a thing in hockey, but he could get in his first year of availability depending on his competition.

Yeah, exactly.

I'd say his biggest barrier to being a first ballot would've been a better goalie retiring in the same year, but that doesn't seem like it poses much risk. Can Lundqvist stretch out one more year and is that all Fleury has left? Or maybe Fleury plays 4 more seasons as a backup until he's 40 and that's all Carey Price has left too. Rask??

The 2003 draft class is probably loaded with future HHOFers, so maybe 5-6 of his top peers (Bergeron, Staal, Getzlaf, Suter, Weber, Burns) all retire at the same time and that's what blocks his first go around. 2004 has Ovechkin and Malkin easily ahead of him, and then 2005 has Crosby, Price and Kopitar. Guessing Fleury likely retires before Toews, Backstrom, Giroux, Marchand, Kessel from 2006, a couple of which are behind him anyways and may not actually make the Hall. 2002 has Duncan Keith as a future HHOFer, 2001 probably no one.

Hard to say, but unless four of Keith, Bergeron, Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Price, Kopitar, and/or Toews retire in the same season, I think the committee makes the case for him above the rest. Definitely not saying that's how I would vote, just how I think they will see it (with Backstrom being the most egregious snub for Fleury IMO.)

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
How is MAF a hall of famer???? The dude had three of the WORST playoffs in a row in NHL HISTORY. He's lucky to be in the league.

He's just played a lot of games. He isn't even in the hall of pretty good

Reactions: Voight

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
What resume? No individual awards and the 3 cups where 2 of them he sat on the bench for. He's not a HoFer period.
Third all time in wins, sixth in playoff wins with a chance to move up to as high as third depending on how deep Vegas goes. That's not insignificant.

He was also a crucial part of the most successful first season for an expansion team ever, which is a compelling storyline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->