What are your thoughts on Ruff's upcoming return to Buffalo?

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Lindy Ruff played for the club for 10 years (including several years as the Captain) and coached for 16, he is the franchise.

I don't need a Lindy Ruff history lesson.

No one man is any franchise. He's certainly not rafter material. He's a classic Sabre. There's a distinct difference.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Well you act like you want to compare their careers as Sabres HC and that isn't fair.

I'm not acting like anything.

My point is that the suffering has been worse under RonRon (not commenting now why or fault) than it was under Ruff towards the end. Ruff is going to be welcomed and remembered for the good times he had here because the team has nothing good going for it at the moment and fans will need something to positive or happy about.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Lindy Ruff: INCOMING!

Well, it is finally time to welcome back to Buffalo, a man who many were screaming for the firing of merely 8 months ago.

Many complained about the lack of acknowledgement of fan-fav Jason Pominville upon his return with the Wild earlier this month, so.....

How do you want to see the Lindy situation handled tomorrow in-arena, by fans and/or the Sabres game-day presentation people?

An aside: I always wish the TV broadcasts would show more in-arena pre-game stuff, but their broadcasters often talk over it. I usually strain to block out what Duff, etc are saying so I can see what's going on in the arena....so I hope SOMEBODY who goes to the game, records the crowds reaction when Lindy appears on the bench as well as what happens in-arena if and when there is any honoring of him or acknowledgement.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Lindy Ruff holds a much different place in the history of the Buffalo Sabres franchise than Pominville.

That being said, I expect that whatever they do or do not do, there will be much complaining.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's basically guaranteed to get a standing ovation whether the Sabres do a little jumbotron tribute or not.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Good for Lindy. He's returning triumphant, with his new last place team.

:rolleyes: The team was doing good before Lehtonen got injured yet again, he has a 3-1-1 record and a ridiculous save percentage. I doubt anyone looked at the roster and assumed they were going to be very good this season. The team doesn't have much offensively beyond the top line (sound familiar?).

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
:rolleyes: The team was doing good before Lehtonen got injured yet again, he has a 3-1-1 record and a ridiculous save percentage. I doubt anyone looked at the roster and assumed they were going to be very good this season. The team doesn't have much offensively beyond the top line (sound familiar?).

So it is still never Ruff's fault and always players?!!? Does Ruff ever get out more than what he is supposedly given?!!? Do teams ever play better due to his coaching?!?

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Name in the rafters?? Wow.

He'll get a nice ovation, mostly deserved, and he'll likely get a win. That's plenty.

I actually do think he will get his name in the rafters someday. While not deserving it as either a player or coach when you combine the two and all of his years of service he deserves it. Odds are he probably will come back after he is done coaching in some sort of Sr adviser position as well.

As for when he comes back I hope everyone gives him the recognition he deserves. Just because he had to go, does not mean there should be ill will. Mind you once the puck drops F-him. Sabres first.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I think Lindy will/would get an ovation whether the Sabres are 2-10-1 or 10-2-1. I also think he deserves it.

I was a big fan of Lindy and agree that it was time for a change. I think he always did the best he could with what he had to work with. Coaches get stale, scenarios become unmanageable and messages get ignored. Perhaps he was kept on too long, but that does not, IMO, diminish the contribution he has made to Sabres history both as a player and as Coach.

When all is said and done and his coaching days are over, I think there is a place for Lindy in the rafters of the FNC. Not as a retired number, but as a name on a banner - like the Knox brothers - and like Rick Jeanneret and maybe even Mike Robitaille or Jim Lorentz - guys whose contribution transcended any one aspect of hockey and whose career when viewed in retrospect and in totality represent a major contribution to the Sabre legacy.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I think Lindy will/would get an ovation whether the Sabres are 2-10-1 or 10-2-1. I also think he deserves it.

I was a big fan of Lindy and agree that it was time for a change. I think he always did the best he could with what he had to work with. Coaches get stale, scenarios become unmanageable and messages get ignored. Perhaps he was kept on too long, but that does not, IMO, diminish the contribution he has made to Sabres history both as a player and as Coach.

When all is said and done and his coaching days are over, I think there is a place for Lindy in the rafters of the FNC. Not as a retired number, but as a name on a banner - like the Knox brothers - and like Rick Jeanneret and maybe even Mike Robitaille or Jim Lorentz - guys whose contribution transcended any one aspect of hockey and whose career when viewed in retrospect and in totality represent a major contribution to the Sabre legacy.

Well said.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I feel generally indifferent. Zero doubt that Ruff was a huge, huge part of Sabres history, but I feel the time was right to move on. I have a deep appreciation for his history here and would absolutely give him a hearty applause.

No negative or positive feelings about actually playing his team, though it'll be weird.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Glad Ruff is only here for a day and leaving after the game.

It's just too soon to miss him, he was at least partially responsible for the mess we have now, and his greatest success was with a team Muckler and Nolan orchestrated. I'd still cheer him out of respect, he stayed through a lot of ownership turmoil and did keep the team competitive for most of his career. I wouldn't be upset if people boo'd and threw rubbish at him either, he deserves a fair share of both.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Although he frustrated the heck out of me at times with his bench mgmt and crazy line combo's and dog house losers and winners philosophies, his absence has made me appreciate him more than when he was here.
And I like what he's doing down in the Big D.

I expect (and would give him) a hero's welcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->