What are your memories of the 2008 playoffs?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Honestly, while it's one of my favorite cups because Datsyuk and Zetterberg answered all the questions about them, it wasn't as compelling to me as previous victories.
Detroit ran over Nashville. Over a Colorado team that wasn't that good. Over a Dallas team that wasn't very good.
And then they beat upstart Pittsburgh.

In 97 - you had the colorado series and the legion of doom. And it was the first one ever.
In 98 - you had the "Believe" thing happening for Vladdie and Sergei. This town was f***ing madly in love the Red Wings then. It was ridiculous.
In 02 - You had injured Yzerman leading Detroit back from 0-2 vs Vancouver. You had injured Yzerman taking out Chris f***ing Pronger to decapitate the Blues. You had the 4-3 win over Colorado, the statue of liberty save, the stick measurement. Coming back from down 3-2 and then winning game 7 7-0. The finals were a bit of a dud, but it was 1-1 when Lariionov scored his triple OT goal. For some reason, the 02 cup is the one that sticks with me.

Reactions: Spitfire11

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Honestly, while it's one of my favorite cups because Datsyuk and Zetterberg answered all the questions about them, it wasn't as compelling to me as previous victories.
Detroit ran over Nashville. Over a Colorado team that wasn't that good. Over a Dallas team that wasn't very good.

In 97 - you had the colorado series and the legion of doom. And it was the first one ever.
In 98 - you had the "Believe" thing happening for Vladdie and Sergei. This town was ****ing madly in love the Red Wings then. It was ridiculous.
In 02 - You had injured Yzerman leading Detroit back from 0-2 vs Vancouver. You had injured Yzerman taking out Chris ****ing Pronger to decapitate the Blues. You had the 4-3 win over Colorado, the statue of liberty save, the stick measurement. Coming back from down 3-2 and then winning game 7 7-0. The finals were a bit of a dud, but it was 1-1 when Lariionov scored his triple OT goal. For some reason, the 02 cup is the one that sticks with me.

I'm not surpriced at all that Ken Holland's greatest build during the cap era doesn't impress you. Not. Surpriced. At. All. ;)

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I remember the league not doing everything in its power to give Pittsburgh the cup, so different than the next year.

Also remember Fleury starting the series by falling on his butt, and then ending it by falling on his butt

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'm not surpriced at all that Ken Holland's greatest build during the cap era doesn't impress you. Not. Surpriced. At. All. ;)

What's sad is that you can't take an honest comment without turning into a personal shot.

Ken's Holland rebuild was fantastic.
But I'm talking about compelling moments on the ice.
The 08 cup run doesn't seem to have as many magic moments as 02, 98 and 97.

Maybe with 98.
But passing the cup to Vladdie....

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think he's still living with issues from the concussions.
From what I know, those symptoms are with you for life in one form or another. He's never going to be 100% again. That's sad as hell.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What's sad is that you can't take an honest comment without turning into a personal shot.

Ken's Holland rebuild was fantastic.
But I'm talking about compelling moments on the ice.
The 08 cup run doesn't seem to have as many magic moments as 02, 98 and 97.

Maybe with 98.
But passing the cup to Vladdie....

Fine. Everyone was special on their own way.

2009 loss feels still like I never get over it... until we win the next one.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Fine. Everyone was special on their own way.

2009 loss feels still like I never get over it... until we win the next one.

Well, if I remember right, you were too young to be a fan much before 08, so this answer is easier for you.
In a lot of ways 08 is to you what 97 was to a million other Red Wings fans.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
The 2008 playoffs were Kronwall's 'break out' so to speak. Didn't start destroying guys until the Nashville series and carried it through those first 3 rounds.

Helm being a late season call up and making the playoff roster

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario

In 98 - you had the "Believe" thing happening for Vladdie and Sergei. This town was ****ing madly in love the Red Wings then. It was ridiculous.
In 02 - You had injured Yzerman leading Detroit back from 0-2 vs Vancouver. You had injured Yzerman taking out Chris ****ing Pronger to decapitate the Blues. You had the 4-3 win over Colorado, the statue of liberty save, the stick measurement. Coming back from down 3-2 and then winning game 7 7-0. The finals were a bit of a dud, but it was 1-1 when Lariionov scored his triple OT goal. For some reason, the 02 cup is the one that sticks with me.

Agreed on all points, great summery. 2008 was nice with Datsyuk/Zetterberg answering the critics but overall itwas a fairly easy and unmemorable run to winning the Cup.

1998 was a big one for Osgood, letting in what could have been backbreaking centre ice goals in every series but coming back with big games.

2002 is the one that sticks with me as well. So many great moments, being at that game 7 is my favourite memory as a Wings fan.

2009 would have been a great one too, finally beating the Ducks in that 7 game series, the Blackhawks OT winner, and repeating over the Penguins despite the injuries. It still stings after almost a decade.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I'll always remember the 2008 playoffs as when the Red Wings were just a machine...like in '97. They absolutely dominated Colorado in the semifinal. Zetterberg deserved that Smythe. Spin o rama back hander against the Avs. Steals the puck and draws 4 Stars to give Datyuk his hat trick. The 5-3 Conn Smythe shift against the Pens. Franzen was a beast that playoff year. Such a bummer not closing it out the Cup in game 5....I had to work the night of game 6 missed the game and caught the celebration on TV.

2009 would've been sweet but it just wasn't their year. I remember when they lost Game 6 I wasn't confident for Game 7 at all. The hunger just wasn't there.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Agreed on all points, great summery. 2008 was nice with Datsyuk/Zetterberg answering the critics but overall itwas a fairly easy and unmemorable run to winning the Cup.

1998 was a big one for Osgood, letting in what could have been backbreaking centre ice goals in every series but coming back with big games.

2002 is the one that sticks with me as well. So many great moments, being at that game 7 is my favourite memory as a Wings fan.

2009 would have been a great one too, finally beating the Ducks in that 7 game series, the Blackhawks OT winner, and repeating over the Penguins despite the injuries. It still stings after almost a decade.

Yeah, 09 was definitely a more compelling run, based on on-ice action. That would have been huge.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
zets and franzen. from 2008-2010 they played lights-out stuff in the playoffs.

datsyuk is my favourite player from that era, and an awesome 2-way player totally deserving of his selkes, but as far as man-to-man defence goes, zetterberg was king. and it really stood out in the 08 finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad