What are your memories of the 2008 playoffs?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Rafalski should have had the game winner at the Joe.

That cup always had a bittersweet feeling to me because the storybook ending didn't come to fruition.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Having Osgood come in for Hasek during game 4 Round 1 in Nashville, and basically leading the team the rest of the way. I remember being at games 3 & 4 and thinking Hasek just looked off for that series for some reason, other than age, perhaps.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Franzen's emerged late that season. He was dominant from March in.

That always sticks out to me around that time frame.

Osgood supplanting a struggling Hasek and at the time I thought consolidating his place in the HHOF was also awesome. Turns out that might not be the case.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dmac coming back, I met him and we told him how awesome that was and he seemed to appreciate it.

Whenever I think of those playoffs though, I think of how it was kinda Kronwalls coming out party physically. He absolutely killed a few guys first round against Nashville.

And then the number one shift I think of, even more than Zetterbergs 5 on 3 kill is this one.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Ozzie' redemption, Franzen beast mode, Z frustrating Crosby and Dallas Drake's unbridled enthusiasm!
Just relived the greatest hits....

Franzen just going ham against Colorado was a thing of beauty.
Having Osgood come in for Hasek during game 4 Round 1 in Nashville, and basically leading the team the rest of the way. I remember being at games 3 & 4 and thinking Hasek just looked off for that series for some reason, other than age, perhaps.
Ozzy's playoff stats were pretty damn good that year. 3 / 19 shutouts? 1.55 GAA, .930 SV?

Goalies would kill for that statline.

If your goalie puts up those numbers and you don't win the cup you did something very very wrong.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I was at the Joe for Game 5. Before Pittsburgh scored in that final minute, I don't think I had ever been in a building so loud and intense in my entire life.
Sure it all got sucked away when Pit scored, then went to OT and won, but for a moment there believing that we were about to see the cup, that was a great moment.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Z's goal off Fleury's ass. Which ended up being the game winner when Pitts scored on the PP with 1:30 left.

And also "Pushes it forward, backhand try, oh OSGOOD THE SAVE. time will run out, and the Detroit Red Wings are the 2008 Stanley Cup Champions!"

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I was at the game when Val Filppula scored the Bobby Orr style goal. That's when I knew for sure we were going to win the Cup. Definitely remember Dom looking awful and Ozzy coming in to save the playoffs for us. I remember Mule just going off on Colorado, like he couldn't miss and was putting in absurd goals.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I was at the game when Val Filppula scored the Bobby Orr style goal. That's when I knew for sure we were going to win the Cup. Definitely remember Dom looking awful and Ozzy coming in to save the playoffs for us. I remember Mule just going off on Colorado, like he couldn't miss and was putting in absurd goals.

Also, Hank's twisting goal against Colorado. That it finally seemed like it was all coming together again, because we kept scoring goals that for years and years wouldn't go in. Datsyuk off the bad, Hank gets hauled down and tosses a backhand up high and in.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
osgood was the better goalie that season and should have been the starter from game 1 imo. but definitely the most memorable for me was franzen absolutely destroying colorado. honorable mention goes to the wings 9 game winning streak during that playoff run. i think that team was the most dominant wings team during the playoffs of the 4 cup runs

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Dmac coming back, I met him and we told him how awesome that was and he seemed to appreciate it.

Whenever I think of those playoffs though, I think of how it was kinda Kronwalls coming out party physically. He absolutely killed a few guys first round against Nashville.

And then the number one shift I think of, even more than Zetterbergs 5 on 3 kill is this one.

All of this. While waiting for this thread to load, Dallas Drake literally having no regard for his physical well being in that Dallas series was the first thing that came to mind.

I thought the transformation from the Charmin ultra soft 05-06 team into a deep and physical team in 07-08 was incredible with Kronwall really establishing himself and additions like Drake, Downey (in the regular season), Stuart, McCarty and Helm.

Being a big fan of Osgood, it was awesome seeing him get some redemption for those much maligned post Vernon years.

The McCarty story was great. I swear I remember a game from early on in that season where Ken and Mickey discussed how Draper was having a hard time getting a hold of McCarty, then a couple weeks later they showed him in attendance at the Joe. Shortly after that was when he started playing for Drapers UHL?/IHL? team.

Some other small but funny ones:

-McCarty jawing with the Dallas bench after Ribeiro slashed Osgood
-A Channel 4 (I think) bit on how Al Sobotka hosts( or hosted :( ) an annual Spring BBQ for the team during the playoffs, which had Dallas Drake cracking jokes about how much food Johan Franzen can fit on a paper plate
-The asshole Pens fan that found himself behind Mickey in at least games 3 and 4 during the live pre-game stuff before games at Mellon and would say "Detroit sucks". Mickey would then lose it on him.
-Therrien calling Osgood a "good actor"
-The outrage after finding out that Katrina Hancock lady from Channel 4 told the Pittsburgh media the Pens had better fans.
-Brett Lebda dropping an F Bomb during a post game interview
-The Osgood and McCarty interview after the game
-Going to the parade and hearing boos completely drown out Kwame Kilpatricks speech and then Hudler leading a "Let's go Red Vings" chant at Hart Plaza

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Crap these memories are so old that it blows my mind that Franzen is still under contract. Think we see him back next year?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Crap these memories are so old that it blows my mind that Franzen is still under contract. Think we see him back next year?

There is no situation in which I want Johan Franzen returning. Let him enjoy his retirement. I'm not trying to push for a guy to be a brain dead vegetable by the time his career ends.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
There is no situation in which I want Johan Franzen returning. Let him enjoy his retirement. I'm not trying to push for a guy to be a brain dead vegetable by the time his career ends.
Seriously.

Even if he's a piece that puts us into contendership (he's not), I wouldn't want him. He's got a family and a life. This is just a damn sport's team. Everything we know now about concussions and brain trauma say he absolutely should never return.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Zetterbergs no look spinning backhand goal. That's when he became my favourite player

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I mean memories wise nothing really sticks out, it was the last 2 months of senior year for me so a lot was going on.

But watching the highlights of the run, as I do on a yearly basis, the thing that sticks out to me is the physicality(Drake and Kronwall), the Franzen show during the Colorado series, and hank just dominating.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Seriously.

Even if he's a piece that puts us into contendership (he's not), I wouldn't want him. He's got a family and a life. This is just a damn sport's team. Everything we know now about concussions and brain trauma say he absolutely should never return.

I think he's still living with issues from the concussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad