What are your expectations for Hextall this off season?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Please try to remain realistic with this.

As the thread title suggests, what are your expectations for Hextall this off season. You can be as vague or as specific as you like.

My expectations as a whole are to continue to remain on the same course the franchise has been on over the last few years. It has and will continue to be difficult to remain patient. However, if Hextall continues to work on drafting and developing young talent, and stays away from the "splash moves" and over spending on contracts I think the organization will start to turn things around very soon. Obviously getting the gift of the 2nd overall pick will speed up that process just a little bit.

Getting into more specific details. I would like to see Hextall tread carefully with how he attacks the goal tending position. If Steve Mason is willing to come back on a two or three year deal at or only slightly above his current AAV of 4.1 million then I would like to see that happen. If Mason insists on getting four or more years on the term and over 4.5 million in AAV I hope Hextall will go in a different direction. My plan B would be Jonathan Bernier or Brian Elliott on a two year deal in the neighborhood of a 3 - 3.5 million AAV range. My biggest objective with the goalie position is to not commit several years to anyone this off season and re-evaluate the position in two years.

As far as forwards go, this is where Hextall is going to have to do the bulk of his work, and he may have to get creative in the process. Between trades, the expansion draft, and buy outs I believe Hextall must find a way to get rid of two of the three following players: Matt Read, Dale Weise, Michael Raffl. We simply have too many spots and cap tied up in 3rd/4th line players who are redundant in skill level, production, and role.
I also would like to see Jordan Weal get re-signed but at a reasonable cost. He obviously played and produced very well down the stretch of the season but I don't think that is cause for him to get a long term commitment and/or significant raise. I would like to see him get a prove it two year deal for no more than a 1.5 million AAV. I would refrain from signing any high end free agents at the forward position, and probably wouldn't look to sign any at all for that matter. If Lindblom comes into camp and earns a spot you figure out a way to make room for him but I am counting on him to be a Flyer to start the season and I don't think spending some time in the AHL first is the worst thing that could happen to him.

The situation on defense is pretty simple and my expectations are to basically stay the course. MDZ and Schultz are gone. The top 5 should consist of Provorov, Ghost, Morin, Gudas, and MacDonald (stuck with him). This leaves one spot up for grabs between either another rookie or a veteran signed in free agency. To me Brandon Manning makes for a good 7th D or a nice addition to the Vegas Golden Knights. If Manning is gone I would look for Hextall to sign a veteran to fill that role. At this point I think I would prefer to allow Hagg, Sanheim, and Myers to compete for a job in camp rather than sign a free agent to fill a top 6 role but part of me is concerned about bringing in two rookies into top 6 roles this year. I am not even going to get into what I expect Ghost's new contract to look like as I think that might be Hextall's biggest challenge of the off season besides maybe goalie.

The Team would ultimately looks something like this:

Weal - Giroux - Voracek
Filppula - Patrick/Hischier - Simmonds
Schenn - Couturier - Konecny
Bellemare - Vecchione - Weise

Provorov
Ghost
Morin
Gudas
MacDonald
Sanheim / Hagg
Manning / UFA

Mason / Bernier / Elliott
Neuvirth

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Please try to remain realistic with this.

As the thread title suggests, what are your expectations for Hextall this off season. You can be as vague or as specific as you like.

My expectations as a whole are to continue to remain on the same course the franchise has been on over the last few years. It has and will continue to be difficult to remain patient. However, if Hextall continues to work on drafting and developing young talent, and stays away from the "splash moves" and over spending on contracts I think the organization will start to turn things around very soon. Obviously getting the gift of the 2nd overall pick will speed up that process just a little bit.

Getting into more specific details. I would like to see Hextall tread carefully with how he attacks the goal tending position. If Steve Mason is willing to come back on a two or three year deal at or only slightly above his current AAV of 4.1 million then I would like to see that happen. If Mason insists on getting four or more years on the term and over 4.5 million in AAV I hope Hextall will go in a different direction. My plan B would be Jonathan Bernier or Brian Elliott on a two year deal in the neighborhood of a 3 - 3.5 million AAV range. My biggest objective with the goalie position is to not commit several years to anyone this off season and re-evaluate the position in two years.

As far as forwards go, this is where Hextall is going to have to do the bulk of his work, and he may have to get creative in the process. Between trades, the expansion draft, and buy outs I believe Hextall must find a way to get rid of two of the three following players: Matt Read, Dale Weise, Michael Raffl. We simply have too many spots and cap tied up in 3rd/4th line players who are redundant in skill level, production, and role.
I also would like to see Jordan Weal get re-signed but at a reasonable cost. He obviously played and produced very well down the stretch of the season but I don't think that is cause for him to get a long term commitment and/or significant raise. I would like to see him get a prove it two year deal for no more than a 1.5 million AAV. I would refrain from signing any high end free agents at the forward position, and probably wouldn't look to sign any at all for that matter. If Lindblom comes into camp and earns a spot you figure out a way to make room for him but I am counting on him to be a Flyer to start the season and I don't think spending some time in the AHL first is the worst thing that could happen to him.

The situation on defense is pretty simple and my expectations are to basically stay the course. MDZ and Schultz are gone. The top 5 should consist of Provorov, Ghost, Morin, Gudas, and MacDonald (stuck with him). This leaves one spot up for grabs between either another rookie or a veteran signed in free agency. To me Brandon Manning makes for a good 7th D or a nice addition to the Vegas Golden Knights. If Manning is gone I would look for Hextall to sign a veteran to fill that role. At this point I think I would prefer to allow Hagg, Sanheim, and Myers to compete for a job in camp rather than sign a free agent to fill a top 6 role but part of me is concerned about bringing in two rookies into top 6 roles this year. I am not even going to get into what I expect Ghost's new contract to look like as I think that might be Hextall's biggest challenge of the off season besides maybe goalie.

The Team would ultimately looks something like this:

Weal - Giroux - Voracek
Filppula - Patrick/Hischier - Simmonds
Schenn - Couturier - Konecny
Bellemare - Vecchione - Weise

Provorov
Ghost
Morin
Gudas
MacDonald
Sanheim / Hagg
Manning / UFA

Mason / Bernier / Elliott
Neuvirth

I'm in the minority on this, but I don't think we're stuck with MacDonald. People saw Ghost being scratched and tried to link it with Macdonald. One had nothing to do with the other. If 3 kids come in and earn a spot, Macdonald will be the 7th dman or sent to the AHL. While his usage was crazy this past season, that had more to do with MDZ turning into a terrible player than it did with how the organization views 47.

Look no further than 2015-2016 season on how they view him. He was sent down for "cap reasons". Even though they claimed he's a top 3-4 dman, teams will not send top 4 dman to AHL to save 900K. They could've made numerous other moves besides that one. Striet goes down in November, which opened up 5.5 in cap space. They didn't call Macdonald up.

Vinny and L. Schenn get moved in early January opening up space and a spot on the blueline and they still didn't call Mac up. Not until late February when MDZ hurt his wrist and was out for the year did they call him back up. Even this pat season he was a healthy scratch until MDZ became terrible.

Bottom line is, MDZ abysmal play this year was the reason MacDonald was used in a "top 4" role. He was a top 4 defenseman on that roster because everyone after him was worse. If they viewed him as a top 4 guy they wouldn't have sent him down for months with several opportunities to bring him back. He will not play over any kids that earn a spot. Hopefully the worst case scenario is, this is his last season and it's in a minimal bottom pair role, and the best case being, he's shipped off somewhere or sent to AHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The other thing about MDZ is even if he was playing well, he couldn't have played with Provorov because he cannot play the right side.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
The other thing about MDZ is even if he was playing well, he couldn't have played with Provorov because he cannot play the right side.

But he could've played with Gudas. They were a sick pairing in 15-16. I doubt he would've did 9-53 as a pairing but if we had the 15-16 version of MDZ, I feel like this year would've went a lot differently, which thank god it didn't because he's now gone (a year ago we were panicking and trying to figure out a way to circumvent a contract to keep him away from LV) and we got the #2 pick.

hrocks66

Nov 22, 2015
i have this guy blocked, why do his threads show up??

is there a way to do that also?

thanks

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
hextall-chelios-o.gif

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
i have this guy blocked, why do his threads show up??

is there a way to do that also?

thanks

I don't think there is a way someone here longer would know better...u see what is posted because someone that u don't have blocked quotes that user...

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
i dont have anyone blocked.
it is possible to just not open a thread or just not pay attention to someone you dont like? there are folks who get on my nerves here but I dont have anyone on ignore.

I totally understand not ignoring people that are just akward, (Hatcher, Deadhead)

But this guy has been blatantly trolling this board for the last week. Hell, he even references himself as a Leafs/Flyers fan. I don't even know how thats possible.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hextall needs to get to the bottom of who is the best defensive center: Kesler, Toews, Kopitar, or Cooturirrier. Maybe start a poll on HFBoards about it. If the answer isn't to his liking, since this site consists of too many over-informed people and is just a small slice of the hockey fan pie, start one on the comments section of a Carchidi article. If that doesn't work, poll some random people outside of a CVS in Arkansas.

hrocks66

Nov 22, 2015
Hextall needs to get to the bottom of who is the best defensive center: Kesler, Toews, Kopitar, or Cooturirrier. Maybe start a poll on HFBoards about it. If the answer isn't to his liking, since this site consists of too many over-informed people and is just a small slice of the hockey fan pie, start one on the comments section of a Carchidi article. If that doesn't work, poll some random people outside of a CVS in Arkansas.

it's probably an good time for a cvs Arkansas poll
i hear the ice is soft and thin right now

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

Not sure that's even a valid poll. Where's Bergeron?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
To answer your question, this team needs to at least make it through the first round otherwise I think you will see some key changes. (Either coaching (I hope) or personnel)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

It's funny to see him highlight a comment where someone says a Couturier dies not even belong with those guys, then see the poll results and he is right there with them.

The oddest thing is that he said that he thinks Couts is #6-10 in the league....so is making a poll to prove that he isn't 2-5 such a big deal?

Anyways, I am just happy I avoided any infractions the last few days!

:laugh:

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
honestly not a clue, with the expansion draft who knows what happens this summer, there could be a suprise, or just signing our RFAs and enjoying Nico or Patrick it's a crap shoot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad