Movies: What are your best and worst Best Picture Winners?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I think the best of the best are pretty evident. I'll shout out The Silence of the Lambs though.

I'll note my FAVORITE win is probably Parasite in the sense that is was completely deserving but I didn't think it would actually happen. My personal tastes rarely line up with the actual winner.

These two are real standouts to me not just on merit but on the fact that they're a type of movie the Academy rarely recognizes — somewhat gnarly thrillers.

I'll throw in a plug for All About Eve and Amadeus too.

As for bad, I don't hate CODA, but it's one of the blandest and most forgettable winners ever. It's like saying the best dessert is a plain scoop of vanilla ice cream. I've never been a fan of The Artist, which is another one that picked up the big award and then seems to have been immediately memory holed. I think Million Dollar Baby and A Beautiful Mind are bad movies.

And I know it's going to take shit here as a bad movie (because it always does), but Shakespeare in Love is good.

Reactions: Zeppo

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The last time the movie I thought was best that year won best picture was No Country For Old Men. It’s not one of my all time favorite greatest movies…but it actually lined up that year with the winner. Parasite was real close though...just liked The Lighthouse a tiny bit more. On the Waterfront, The Godfather and Unforgiven would all be way up there. Rocky is one of my favorite movies ever…I don’t care if people are mad it won. Silence of the Lambs would probably be my favorite of all winners.

Crash was the worst. Any criteria.

Reactions: Elvis P

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
About 20 years ago, I decided to watch every best picture winner. I stopped about 7 or 8 short, mostly early pictures that were hard to find at the time. The one I remember being clearly the worst was the 1931 winner Cimmaron.

Zeppo

Sep 8, 2006
Best would be All About Eve. Worst is more difficult, so many bland and forgettable ones, but I'd probably hate Forrest Gump if I tried to rewatch it.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Best: The Deer Hunter
Worst: Dances With Wolves. With an honorable mention to The Full Monty as the worst film ever nominated for in the Best Picture category (it did not win).

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad