What are your All-Time favorite Penguins Power Play Units?

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I thought this might be interesting to compare across eras. What are your favorite Pittsburgh Penguins power play units?

I was thinking about this after a different thread on the main board asked about using 5 forwards on the power play.

I recall particularly liking Lemieux - Jagr - Straka - Lang - Kovalev when that unit was put together due to the cycling and skill. I think Lemieux and Kovalev were on the points.

We have had some incredible skilled players over the past 30+ years for this unit.

Also, would this be the top cross-era option: Lemieux - Jagr - Crosby - Malkin - Coffey ?

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyone remember what the powerplay config was for 1992-1993?

Incidentally, it‘s a shame Coffey never got a shot with a prime Jagr.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
And the greatest cross era would be:

Lemieux: Left Circle/half wall
Jagr: Right Circle/half wall
Stevens: Slot
Coffey: Right Point
Zubov: Left Point
cut.jpeg

I loved Zubov for the short time he played for the penguins.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Anyone remember what the powerplay config was for 1992-1993?

Incidentally, it‘s a shame Coffey never got a shot with a prime Jagr.

Had to settle for prime Gretzky and Mario. Poor bastard. Lol.

But yeah, Coffey would have been sweet to watch with Jags.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
So many...

I’ll go with

Lemieux
Stevens
Tocchet
Francis
Murphy

All I know is we’ve been blessed to have amazing players and lines here.

Many can argue Lemieux - Francis - Jagr as the top overall line. They had a great year the one year.

My absolute favorite line was Stevens - Lemieux - Tocchet. They were unstoppable. I never saw a line to this day have as many scoring chances as they did. Those guys gave Lemieux more room than anyone and no one did as much as fart in Lemieux’s direction or they were going to get their ass beat.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
A healthy dose of...

Lemieux, Stevens, Tocchet, Francis and Murphy. Jagr/Mullen mixed in as well.

Pittsburgh Penguins Stats | 1992-1993

I seem to remember laughing about Jagr and Francis at some point being on PP2, but that may not have been the norm.

When Zubov was there, the crowd pretty much yelled at him to shoot whenever he touched the puck. What a weird situation that was.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Before Mario got all pissy that he didn't get to handle the puck enough and they traded for that f***ing tosser, Kevin Hatcher.

I hated that trade so much, still hate it now.

I hated that trade then and still hate it now. I remember at the time thinking please God I hope we got Derian and then when I heard Kevin I was like motherf***er shit piss f*** god damnit.

I loved Zubov.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I seem to remember laughing about Jagr and Francis at some point being on PP2, but that may not have been the norm.

When Zubov was there, the crowd pretty much yelled at him to shoot whenever he touched the puck. What a weird situation that was.
Zero patience crowd, Zubov was fantastic at weaving through and finding the open man, they just wanted to pound shots at the net and shove in rebounds, Zubov was trying to create poetry.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
1996 was scary good and almost automatic at times.

IIRC it was a revolving combo of Mario, Jags,Nedved, Sandstrom/Naslund (Before being traded to Vancouver)/Murray also saw sometime up front with Zubov and Francis on the point, that team lead the NHL in pretty much every offensive statistic possible.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I hated that trade then and still hate it now. I remember at the time thinking please God I hope we got Derian and then when I heard Kevin I was like motherf***er shit piss f*** god damnit.

I loved Zubov.

Before Mario got all pissy that he didn't get to handle the puck enough and they traded for that f***ing tosser, Kevin Hatcher.

I hated that trade so much, still hate it now.

I was absolutely ecstatic when they traded for Zubov and I was so enraged when they traded him away. :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad