What are the worst injuries you ever saw?

Wachovia Center

Dec 2, 2006
Malarchuk is easily the worst, normally, this kind of stuff doesn't gross me out, but I almost threw up when I saw it.

diablo73

Feb 9, 2007
Salmings skate to the face has to be up there, When all was said and done looked like the blade of Zorro had made it's mark. Non hockey, has to be Moises Alou snapping his ankle rounding first. His damn foot was twisted 180 degrees. OUCH!!!

1penzfan

Aug 18, 2005
Apex, NC
I don't think this one has been mentioned. Kevin Stevens got knocked out on his feet in a game vs the Islanders and fell face first onto the ice. He had to have his facial bones reconstructed. He was never the same as a power forward after that incident.

Vanek At The Disco!

Nov 2, 2005
Not an injury to hockey player but still in a hockey game...

Espen Knutsen's shot that was deflected by Derek Morris to the stands that killed a young girl in 2002.

What was most screwed up about this was how it was handled by the American media, particularly the disgraceful SI cover.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
No the Goulet injury was not on an icing call. Chicago was in Montreal and he received a pass from Roenick and while on a bad angle on the left wing he lost his footing and slammed head first into the boards. He had that wafer-thin helmet on so that didnt help but Goulet never played again int he NHL. He stated that when he went home he had such bad post-concussion syndrome that he couldnt even remember any neighbours.

As for Cherry, I'm pretty sure he likes Goulet. He wasnt a fighter but he took a lot of abuse in his career. I've never heard him make a crack about him
That rings a bell. Thanks, Phil.

I was just teasing about the Cherry/Quebec thing, anyway ;)

Chevy Cheveldae

I don't think this one has been mentioned. Kevin Stevens got knocked out on his feet in a game vs the Islanders and fell face first onto the ice. He had to have his facial bones reconstructed. He was never the same as a power forward after that incident.

yup i remeber that one, iI can still remeber the replays in my head..just horrible

http://www.foursport.ca/May1.htm

Stevens skated in and attempted to hit Pilon but instead was met by Pilon's visor which promptly knocked Stevens unconscious
Imagine getting dropped face first onto the ice from a 6-foot height, without the use of your hands or arms to cushion the blow
n a 4 ½ operation doctors cut an incision below his hairline from ear-to-ear, which was later closed with over 100 stitches, peeled back his skin and reassembled the bones in Stevens face with the use of metal plates

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Person or on TV?

Anyways, both cases : Trent McCleary.
Yes, Malarchuk was gruesome to watch (the blood)...

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I'm only listing things I saw first-hand/live and not replays or videos:

1) Kris Draper having his face obliterated by Claude Lemieux
2) Jiri Fischer collapsing on the bench. I was certain he was dead and I'm still amazed he didn't die
3) Steve Yzerman scattering his eye after taking a puck to it
4) Chris Pronger collapsing after taking a shot to the chest. I thought it was worse than it turned out to be.

The scariest non-NHL injury I saw live was the Mike Utley paralysis.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet was the Gordie Howe/Lou Fontinato fight. From every description I've read of it Howe pretty much crushed half Lou's face in with about 6 punches.

Raoul Duke*

Trent McCleary taking that puck to the throat.

Brett Lindros having his head pushed down with Eric Lacroix's left hand as he drilled him head first into the boards. I thought for sure B. Lindros was paralyzed - he "only" had to retire from the NHL at 20.

Alex Mogilny's broken leg in the playoffs and CBC showing the replay over and over without mercy...

ralphie86

Plays With Squirrels
Nov 21, 2006
Pennbrook University
UND-Denver

1. Robbie Bina getting his neck broken after being hit from behind by Geoff Paukovich well after the whistle at the WCHA Final Five.

2. Brock Trotter having his Achilles tendon completely severed on a clean hit by Matt Smaby at the Ralph.

hockeyismylife

Feb 18, 2007
Canada
The Malarchuk incident is by far the worst I have ever seen and I don't think I will ever see something that bad again. I normally have a pretty strong stomach but I get sick just thinking about it.

endlessdream83

Aug 5, 2006
It's nowhere NEAR as bad as the worst ones mentioned here, but I remember Andreas Dackell getting pummeled into the glass by Lindros about eight years back... ironically, his visor (which was for protection) dug right into him and left a LARGE scar across his whole face. Fairly gruesome, but they were able to interview him either later that same night, or a few nights later, and Dackell was joking about it (and Lindros was apologetic too), so I guess it wasn't too bad. Still one of the uglier injuries I've seen in my 13 years of watching hockey!

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Which injuries are the worst you ever saw? I have my list but I know there are others.

Brian Savage getting checked with his head down by Ian Lapperriere in 1999 almost breaking his neck, in fact I think he did some damage to it

Trent McCleary blocking a shot right in the throat from a slapshot from the blueline, seeing him collapse as he was being carried off was scary

Clint Malarchuk almost died in his crease after his throat was cut by a skate

Bryan Berard getting an errant stick in the eye by Hossa (it was an accident on a follow through on a shot, Hossa was sorry) Berard lost his eye (right eye?) and I'm not sure how good his vision is right now maybe someone knows

Steve Moore, with a broken neck

Bill Masterton hitting his helmetless head on the ice. There is no known footage of thise but I coudl be wrong but I think it was a clean bodycheck that made him fall right? Not sure who the player was. Masterton is the only NHL player to die from an in ice incident

Ace Bailey ack in 1933. Yeah I know no one saw this one but we almost feel like we have. Bailey's career was over and he forgave Shore for clubbing him over the head

Nick Kypreos lying in a pool of his own blood after a fight

If you've got any more just let me know. Which one's do you think are the worst?

Masterton just fell on his own.... he slipped and fell backwards, then got up to skate off the ice then he collapsed and died. It was a freak accident with no check at all.

I have seen alot of players get messed up but the most recent one i saw that really scared me was when Rene Bourque caught that skate blade to his neck like a roundhouse kick....thankfully Rene was ok but that could have been a lot worse then the Malarchuck thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad