What are the worst injuries you ever saw?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Yes, that was horrendous. Wasn't there a Sunday afternoon game involving the Blues and Wings when Pronger took a shot in the throat? My memory is hazy, maybe I am way off. I just remember the initial ugliness.
No. Pronger took a puck to the chest in that one-in-a-million spot. His eyes rolled into the back of his head, and his heart stopped beating very briefly. Getting a puck in the right part of the chest can be fatal, and you'll hear about such an incident once or twice a year.

J-Zilla

Jan 19, 2007
The Malarchuk jugular incident of 89' was one of the most graphic and disturbing accidents I've ever seen.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Yes, that was horrendous. Wasn't there a Sunday afternoon game involving the Blues and Wings when Pronger took a shot in the throat? My memory is hazy, maybe I am way off. I just remember the initial ugliness.

That was a playoff game I think it was 1997 or 98,game four, five?

He took a Dmitri Mironov slapshot to the chest and his heart stopped beating, or started beating irregularly. End result, he passed out, and was considered to have suffered a impact related minor heart attack.

Here's the more correct version....

http://www.canoe.ca/NHLPlayoffsDETSTLArchive/may10_pro.html

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
No. Pronger took a puck to the chest in that one-in-a-million spot. His eyes rolled into the back of his head, and his heart stopped beating very briefly. Getting a puck in the right part of the chest can be fatal, and you'll hear about such an incident once or twice a year.

Right, OK. Now I recall.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere back in 99 I think, someone got a crushed testicle.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

It was Rich Parent and I think it was during practice when he was with the Blues. I don't know if it was crushed but he did need to have surgery on that part of his body.

I agree with everyone on the Malarchuk and McCleary incidents. The Malarchuk one sffected me so much when I watched it that I had to run to the bathroom to throw up afterwards. Only time an hockey incident affected me like that.

LadyIce

Jul 27, 2006
DC
Pat Peake's shattered heel during the 1996 marathon OT game between Pittsburgh and Washington. The sound on that was distgusting. It appened while racing for the icing said:
Oh I remember the sound too. It was like a bomb going off because he went feet first into the boards. I remember reading that the surgeon had only seen an injury like that from construction workers who fell from buildings! It's too bad he had to retire because he was supposed to have a promising career ahead of him.

Malarchuk's injury was horrible. I saw it once, when it happened, on the news most likely George Michael on the local news. I know Malarchuk said late if it weren't for the actions by the trainers on the ice he would have died for sure.

Chris Clark getting a puck in his mouth. It knocked out 2-3 teeth and crushed his palate bone (the roof of his mouth) and it had to be repaired with a cadaver bone. <<shudders>> They said that since the injury he'd been going to the dentist on non-game day getting root canals to repair the other teeth that were damaged. The fact that he finished his shift is incredible, then he said had it been a playoff game he would have been right back out, is clearly the reason he's the captain. :bow:

Continuing with the "Injured Capitals Theme," Jamie Heward getting Modano's skate blade across his face just below his eye. Ugh! That happened right in front of me. I didn't see the skate get him in the face, but I saw him go down in a pool of blood. He said he tried to get up and skate off because he was afraid he'd lost his eye. He collapsed the first time he tried to get up and when the ref realized he was loosing blood at an insane rate, he tried to help him until the trainer got out there. Heward got himself up again and skated to the locker room. They said he was there until after 1 a.m. getting stitched up. When he went to the plastic surgeon to do repairs, a short surgery turned into a 5 hour surgery because they found he had a hole in his nose. Apparently the skate cut the cartilage on his nose in addition to the deep gash below his eye.

It happened right by Olie and he said he nearly passed out when he say Heward's face.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Yes, it was Michel Goulet in March of 1994, and it ended his career. I don't know if he was chasing an icing, but it wasn't one of those incidents that was used by advocates for instituting no-touch icing. (The Peake incident and Al MacInnis' broken hip in 1993 are among the more frequently mentioned incidents).

I'm almost sure it was, but you're probably right, if it was on an icing Don Cherry would show that replay once a month on Coach's Corner. Oh wait, Goulet's from Quebec, though,.... Never mind. :sarcasm:

The Marchment one (hitting the open door), Hossa on Berard (I was at that game) and obviously the Malarchuk one were some that sprang to mind for me.

One that I'm sure no one remembers was a journeyman named Luciano Borsato who played for the Jets in the late 80/early 90s. He hit Mike Foligno of the Leafs with a knee-on-knee hit and Foligno's leg went 45 degrees the wrong way. Broke his leg at the shin right below the knee joint. Absolutely disgusting.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
It was Rich Parent and I think it was during practice when he was with the Blues. I don't know if it was crushed but he did need to have surgery on that part of his body.

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/parentr.html said:
Suffered scrotal contusion and ruptured testicle; missed eleven games, February 13, 1999.

Ouch! :eek:

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
Not an injury to hockey player but still in a hockey game...

Espen Knutsen's shot that was deflected by Derek Morris to the stands that killed a young girl in 2002.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

The week during the Pelle Lindbergh tragedy, the Flyers were preparing for a game against Edmonton in 1985. Bob Froese got hit in the protective cup during practice, so hard that the cup shattered. Needless to say, Froese was hurt (his backup at the time Mike Bloski wasn't NHL-ready) and Darren Jensen was called up from the minors to play against the Oilers.

SpartaPraha

Jan 30, 2007
Definitely not the most gruesome or violent injury, but the worst I've seen live was last season in the AHL when Jordan Smith, 20 of the Portland Pirates took a puck to the orbital bone. In case you're not familiar with the incident, he had to have his eye removed. The sound of the puck hitting bone was just sickening. This event contributed to the AHL making visors mandatory this year.

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
sorry without a doubt, Malarchuk.....

Throwing off his catching glove, ripping his mask off and grasping his neck as the blood spurted out his jugular....

He was never the same.

(HM goes to was it Henry Boucher (?) up and coming young Minnesota North Star who was attacked from behind and lost an eye)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
sorry without a doubt, Malarchuk.....

Throwing off his catching glove, ripping his mask off and grasping his neck as the blood spurted out his jugular....

He was never the same.

(HM goes to was it Henry Boucher (?) up and coming young Minnesota North Star who was attacked from behind and lost an eye)

Henry Boucha with Dave Forbes (Boston).

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Malarchuk, without question for me.

I lose a lot of sleep thinking about that day.

I watched that game. Scary stuff.

The Mogilny leg-snapping was ugly, as was the hit on Draper.

Another one was the time Mark Howe was basically impaled by the goalpost. I'm not sure but I think that injury spurred the NHL to go to the newer system.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I was at the game in which Travis Roy of Boston University became paralyzed just 11 seconds into his first shift as a college player. Today he runs a foundation to help spinal cord injury survivors like himself.

http://www.travisroyfoundation.org/

As for sports injuries in general, the leg injuries suffered by Joe Theisman and Napoleon McCallum come to mind, stuff I just can't look at. The worst soccer injury I know of occurred when David Busst of Coventry snapped his leg in half in a match against Manchester United in 1996.

The Sharpshooter

Jan 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I would have to say the Malarchuk jugglier vein incident that happened here in Buffalo. I have pics of it in a book on the history of the old Aud.

I guess another one that came to mind was the Pierre Turgeon-Dale Hunter cheapshot incident of the 1993 playoffs. The one where Hunter got a 21 game suspension by Bettman.

Another had to be back in '91 when Flames defenseman Jamie McCoun butt-ended Sabres center Pat LaFontaine in the jaw, thus fracturing it. It looked sick, and Patty missed 23 games w/ the injury.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
This one wasn't nearly as bad a final result as the stuff you guys have listed, but this one was every bit as shocking at first glance. I still cannot figure out how Mike Modano ever walked after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjA_Pd_SXBc

If we're talking soccer, there's nothing worse than at the 1982 World Cup, the West German goalkeeper Harold Schumacher gave a wild flying forearm to the face of French midfielder Patrick Battison. Knocked him out cold and cost him a handful of teeth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l7SBLEEuwM&mode=related&search=

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA

I agree with everyone on the Malarchuk and McCleary incidents. The Malarchuk one sffected me so much when I watched it that I had to run to the bathroom to throw up afterwards. Only time an hockey incident affected me like that.

Thank you.

That has to be a painful injury though.

Malarchuk still gives me an upset stomach.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Chris Therien hitting Trent McClearly square in the throat with a shot.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Most of them have already been mentioned. I only saw the Malarchuk clip years later but it was a very disturbing image. That has to be any hockey players worst nightmare. I know I put my neck guard on the next game.

One that really doesn't deserve mention compared Malarchuk, but since I was there I'll add, was Anton Volchenkov nailing a Florida player (Colton something?) in the rookie tournament in Gatineau, Quebec a few years ago. The player was knocked out cold and went into convulsions on the ice. Massive, clean hit with a very scary result. Definetly the scariest hockey play I've ever personally witnessed.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Jiri Fischer collapsing on the Red Wing bench !

That wasn't really a hockey related injury, more a pre exisiting condition.

But yeah, that was darn scary, even though I didn't see it live they replayed it on The Score immediatly after, and I was sure he was dead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad