What are the worst injuries you ever saw?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Which injuries are the worst you ever saw? I have my list but I know there are others.

Brian Savage getting checked with his head down by Ian Lapperriere in 1999 almost breaking his neck, in fact I think he did some damage to it

Trent McCleary blocking a shot right in the throat from a slapshot from the blueline, seeing him collapse as he was being carried off was scary

Clint Malarchuk almost died in his crease after his throat was cut by a skate

Bryan Berard getting an errant stick in the eye by Hossa (it was an accident on a follow through on a shot, Hossa was sorry) Berard lost his eye (right eye?) and I'm not sure how good his vision is right now maybe someone knows

Steve Moore, with a broken neck

Bill Masterton hitting his helmetless head on the ice. There is no known footage of thise but I coudl be wrong but I think it was a clean bodycheck that made him fall right? Not sure who the player was. Masterton is the only NHL player to die from an in ice incident

Ace Bailey ack in 1933. Yeah I know no one saw this one but we almost feel like we have. Bailey's career was over and he forgave Shore for clubbing him over the head

Nick Kypreos lying in a pool of his own blood after a fight

If you've got any more just let me know. Which one's do you think are the worst?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Malarchuk is the only one I legitimately can't watch. Very, very scary. If he didn't react the way he did (skating to the bench immediately) he would have died.

Pat Peake's shattered heel during the 1996 marathon OT game between Pittsburgh and Washington.

Dallas Drake's hit to the head on Boyd Devereaux during a 1999-2000 regular season game. Devereaux, I believe, had a seizure on the ice.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
I haven`t seen it (probably none of us has) but Harry Westwick had an open fracture on his leg and still skated of the ice. Must have looked creepy.

And for all of us who have a strong stomach:
http://www.khlokal.de/php/modules/My_eGallery/gallery/fussball/Ewald_Lienen_198.jpg
Granted, it is soccer, but it looks bad. Was at a time when they still had this screwed on metal cleats. Nasty.
Another terrible soccer injury (and probably the worst I ever saw) was Ditmar Jakobs. In 1989 he glided in the goal and he got hooked in a damaged snap hook. Very close to his spine. It took them 20 minutes to get him off. The doctor cut the hook out with a scalpel and cut some nerves during the procedure. He had to retire due to this injury. And because of that incident they chanced how the net is fastened to the goal frame.

Last edited:

shimy1221*

when chris therrien hit that guy in the throat with a slap shot
that was scary....ended the guys career

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Malarchuk, without question.

I can still picture Jacques Cloutier coming in and trying to scrape the blood out of the crease with his skates. :amazed:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Early in his career, Mogilny getting landed on by some other players and his leg getting twisted and broken. That one sticks with me to this day. His temates helped him up and dragged him off the ice, but consideing how much pain he was obviously in, they should have probably let him be stretchered off. Also,Similar incident for Nasland.

Vermicious knid

Dec 24, 2006
I haven't screwed up the courage to watch the Malarchuk clip. The most recent one would be the Bertuzzi hit on Moore. I remember watching that happen with unmitigated horror.

NJrocket24

Oct 19, 2005
NJ
[QUOTE=
Pat Peake's shattered heel during the 1996 marathon OT game between Pittsburgh and Washington.

The sound on that was distgusting. It appened while racing for the icing, this singlehandedly changed my opinion n that rule. Years later I would break my own heel, and play on it for 3 weeks, it is not a fun injury.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Two that haven't been mentioned yet:

Bryan Marchment going head-first into an open penalty box door in Dallas around 1997 while wearing the flimsy Tikkanen-style Jofa helmet. Went into seizures on the ice, and at the time it looked like he was dying.

Don McSween almost getting his hand cut off by Keith Tkachuk's skate blade in 1995. Worse than the Audette injury IMO - bloodiest injury in recent NHL history aside from the Malarchuk injury.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I remember seeing a game as a kid and a Blackhawks player crashed head first into the boards (I think it was Michel Goulet as he was chasing down an icing). I remember it being incredibly scary.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Bernie Parent's career-ending injury. Saturday afternoon late in the 1978-79 season. Stick in the eyehole of his mask. It was like a kick in the nether regions. It wasn't gory but it was painful.

The other was non-NHL. Travis Roy. Boston University.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I remember seeing a game as a kid and a Blackhawks player crashed head first into the boards (I think it was Michel Goulet as he was chasing down an icing). I remember it being incredibly scary.

Yes, it was Michel Goulet in March of 1994, and it ended his career. I don't know if he was chasing an icing, but it wasn't one of those incidents that was used by advocates for instituting no-touch icing. (The Peake incident and Al MacInnis' broken hip in 1993 are among the more frequently mentioned incidents).

Goulet was also wearing one of those old Jofa helmets that MS mentioned. Goulet's injury was that incident that really started the push to get the Jofa helmets removed from the game. I do remember (it's one of those statements that you never forget) that some national safety organization said those helmets offered about the same amount of protection as a painter's cap.

Last edited:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Bernie Parent's career-ending injury. Saturday afternoon late in the 1978-79 season. Stick in the eyehole of his mask. It was like a kick in the nether regions. It wasn't gory but it was painful.

Can't believe I forgot about Yzerman taking a puck to the eye

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
I thought I read somewhere back in 99 I think, someone got a crushed testicle.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Can't believe I forgot about Yzerman taking a puck to the eye

Yes, that was horrendous. Wasn't there a Sunday afternoon game involving the Blues and Wings when Pronger took a shot in the throat? My memory is hazy, maybe I am way off. I just remember the initial ugliness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad