What Are The Worst Draft Picks in NFL History?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Post this video:

Bad picks aside some of the those fan reactions are both funny and cringe worthy. They all acting like bunch of experts. Reading a mock draft a day or 2 before the draft doesn't make you an expert. Some of those fans are probably the same Knicks fans who booed Porzingis and now they worship him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't get enough of the Ken O'Brien pick.

:gasp:

"Noooooooo!"

"Obviously the Jets know something the people up here don't."

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It's the NFL version of the 2003 NBA Draft.

Mandarich revived his career and at least became respectable on the same level as say Kwame Brown. But he is still a bust.

Ki-Jana Carter I would give a slight pass due to be injured in his first preseason game. Unless you're Greg Oden, you can't really predict something like that to happen.

Cleveland taking Tim Couch and Courtney Brown, in back-to-back years at #1 is horrendous though.

When did Kwame Brown become respectable? From what I recall after the debacle in Washington he bounced around from team to team as a bench player and then was gone

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Wow there are so many to name.....

The problem is, some guys have been EXTREMELY hard busts but weren't as hyped up. Guys like Mandarich - I mean at least they played for the team, but the media circus around them was incredible so they stick out more.

There's a ton of dudes though that never even played a single game for their teams. But most of them are names no one recognizes at all anymore.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
When did Kwame Brown become respectable? From what I recall after the debacle in Washington he bounced around from team to team as a bench player and then was gone

He ended up mentoring Bynum in LA and stared for them and a few other teams. Ended up averaging 6.6 PPG and 5.5 RPG, not #1 pic numbers but still good enough to maintain a bench spot.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Should also mention he isn't an All-Pro anyway. He's been to a total of one pro bowl and misses a fair share of pressure kicks.

How many pressure kicks has Janikowski even attempted? Al Davis probably was thinking taking Ray Guy in the first worked out so why wouldn't this. Old Al Davis in a nutshell is him trying to rehash all the great picks that he made in the '70s but not having Ron Wolf there to tell him these are all terrible picks. Of course he was senile too.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Wow there are so many to name.....

The problem is, some guys have been EXTREMELY hard busts but weren't as hyped up. Guys like Mandarich - I mean at least they played for the team, but the media circus around them was incredible so they stick out more.

There's a ton of dudes though that never even played a single game for their teams. But most of them are names no one recognizes at all anymore.

Ted Gregory, NT, Denver Broncos 1/26 1988. Fresh off two Super Bowl blow outs, Dan Reeves expresses a desire to beef up the team and drafts Ted Gregory sight unseen. "I'm bigger than he is!" after meeting him 6'1" turned out to be 5'9". Gregory was also covering up a bad knee. Gregory gets traded to the Saints in his first camp plays three games and manages one sack... on John Elway.

Compounding The problem Reeves takes OT Gerrald Perry in the 2nd round. Mediocre player and frequently subject of sexual assault investigations during his tenure here.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Kwame Brown is a big man in a league that has been devoid of big men. He didn't bounce around because teams were trying to unlock his potential, it was because they needed a big man.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I get that he's an all-pro kicker that is still with the team so there are definitely worse picks out there, but was anybody else going to take Janikowski in the first round?

Actually, there was a rumor that Janikowski was going to be taken in the high 2nd round. St. Louis was looking at him at the 31st pick. It's a strange pick, but remember this was before the draft picks had a cap on salary.

Though I didn't know about Gruden leaving due to the pick? Where is that story?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Actually, there was a rumor that Janikowski was going to be taken in the high 2nd round. St. Louis was looking at him at the 31st pick. It's a strange pick, but remember this was before the draft picks had a cap on salary.

Though I didn't know about Gruden leaving due to the pick? Where is that story?

Gruden wasn't happy Al Davis usurped authority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad