What are the top 5 moments in Pens history?

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Great list. Going to add this . . . Mario capped game 1 of the 1992 finals with the GWG, but down 4-1, this is the play that got the Hawks on their heels for the rest of that game . . .

This actually tied the game with 5 minutes to go. Comeback started in the 2nd period I believe.

Reactions: TNT87

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Haven't seen anyone mention this one yet. 1999, Game 6, Pens as the 8th seed vs. the powerhouse Devils, down 3-2, Jagr ties it up late and wins it in OT, and we'd win Game 7. Franchise was really on the ropes at this point and relocation looking like a real possibility.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is tough. This is really tough.

1. Drafting Lemieux. Let's face it, Sid is great but Mario IS the Penguins.
2. Winning the draft lottery/Drafting Sid.
3. Lemieux vs Casey enroute to Cup 1
4. MAF dive in Game 7 enroute to Cup 3
5. Lemieux announcing return / Return game. In here you can argue 2 high points, the first shift or the first goal. To me, the first shift was typical Lemieux. The goal was...I mean, I remember cheering THAT loud.

Reactions: ColePens

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Tough to call, but I'll take the easy way out and name my top moment excluding Cup wins:

SCF 2008, Game 5, 3OT win in Detroit to deny them a Cup win at home. I was there and hooooooooooooooly cow was it beyond insane from about the middle of the 3rd until the game-winner in triple OT. Sure we ended up losing, but that game was even better than when I saw the Cup win in '09.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Coach travis already mentioned it but I realized it while o was out today.

Mario coming back against the leafs was amazing. Him scoring 30 seconds in? I literally looked at my friends and one of them said "of course he did that. It could not possibly have been any other way."

Kinda reminded me of this. Sid was not gonna be denied

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Great list. Going to add this . . . Mario capped game 1 of the 1992 finals with the GWG, but down 4-1, this is the play that got the Hawks on their heels for the rest of that game . . .

I'm not a Pens fan (I come in peace, not trolling. ha haaa) but Jagr has always been one of my favorite players ever.

Reactions: KIRK

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Yeah, Mario's first game back in 2001 (?) was surreal. Blizzard outside, "Welcome back 66" projected on the outside of the Mellon arena. Jagr pushes the defense back off the rush, pulls up and hits a trailing Mario with a perfect cross-ice feed for the goal. One of the coolest moments in all of sports.
I forget what year it was, I think '95 when your team beat my team (Rangers) and Jagr/Lemieux put on an absolute clinic. I was amazed. Those two were one of the all time best duos in NHL history.

Pens3peat

Jun 15, 2017

Game tying goal. The Penguins did trail 4-1, but this tied it at 4 with about 5 minutes left. Lemieux scored GWG with seconds left. The Penguins swept them.

Chicago Blackhawks - Pittsburgh Penguins - May 26th, 1992

It would certainly make my top 5 (on ice) moments in Penguin history. Lemieux goal against Minnesota. The "Save." Fleury save against Wings. Talbot cup winning goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad