NCAA: What are the most popular NCAA teams in Canada?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm sure it varies by region, but I've always been curious as to what NCAA teams are popular in Canada, and in which areas? Also, how does NCAA basketball/football/hockey compare in popularity to USports basketball/football/hockey?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I would Usports popularity is basically zero, but so is interest in NCAA hockey so those would be on par at about no interest at all.

NCAA Basketball gets a lot of attention for the tournament but outside of that there is very small interest, bigger than NCAA hockey but not huge. Usports basketball is not much bigger than Usports hockey.

As for NCAA teams I don't think there is an overwhelming favorite. I think the bigger teams get the most fans because we don;t have much ties so can choose whichever team you want so much easier to go for Alabama over Toledo.

Some of the teams closer to the border, Washington/Oregon out West, Michigan out East may have more run and ND actually seems to have a lot of fans with older catholics.

It may be different out East in Ontario but this is my experience in Alberta.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
When I went to Alberta some 15 years ago I asked this question and was told Notre Dame with USC and Miami also being in the mix.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Oregon, USC, and Alabama (SEC football and their teams generally are popular). The SEC is well covered here (LSU, Florida, Auburn, etc.)

Oklahoma State with Chuba Hubbard is getting a lot of love now, and especially in his home province of Alberta (he should have more coverage though IMO).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad