What are the most important things to learn young

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
The The thread that was for the guy wanting to know about a program for his son made me think of this. What are some of the main points you want to get across to your young one I am expecting my first kid in May (it's a boy) and I want to teach him young. What is the most important things to teach young. We all know skating is the main part of todays game but I have been thinking and I want to make sure he is very defensively conscience whether he be a forward or defensemen. Should I start teaching positioning with and with out the puck at that y oung of an age or could that cause him to over think his every move in games.

happyhab*

I never took my kid skating until he was 6, but since he was 2 he would watch games and we would play all the time in the living room or basement, but the rules were he has to pass the puck ( my brother would jump in aswell) and jokingly all the time we would say " why would you shoot their, there was a man open right there" and he actually started picking up passing real fast,finally he started skating and picked it up reall fast went to A right away then AA the next year and now AAA.

All 3 years he was the only kid who just knew how to pass, springing guys on breakaways from his own end. 2-0 passes, just alot of passing.

Also, we would only play with him if he played hard, meaning giving it is all, it taught him how to work hard he knew that the results of the game were not important, it was how hard he tried that was important.

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
besides teaching your son good skating. positioning i think is the biggest thing a kid needs to learn. its god to instill in them young that there is more to hockey than just lighting the lamp. but when they are young just teach them proper positioning and proper techniques in all areas. when he grows each year teach him to be more defensive and responsible dont wanna over whelm he kids when they are young.

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
The most important thing a young child playing hockey can learn is to have fun.\
Positioning will come later. Hell up untill about 7 years old they all group together and chase the puck. Just let him/her have fun and be creative while not forcing a specific position on them.

Oilmageddon

Oct 7, 2009
Having not started hockey until I was 16, I found keeping my feet moving the hardest thing. I always catch myself coasting or I find had I been moving I would have gotten to a loose puck. Anyway I still struggle with this one!

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
A mistake lots of parrents make is forcing their kid into hockey as soon as he can walk. So some advice from random guy on the internet is: Take your kid to games, let him watch and when he tells you that he WANTS to play, start then.

Some kids start when they are 3, and then hate it because they have always been forced too.

But when he does want to play, a important thing is to always keep your head up.

Dump and Chase

Hand of God
May 6, 2010
Since you asked what is most important to learn I will cover what I think is the most important to TEACH. For young kids in hockey the MOST important THING is FUN. Create an atmosphere of fun and the kids will love hockey and keep coming back. Make hockey into a chore and they will quit as soon as their parents will allow them to make that decision.

The most important thing to teach is skating and don't let anyone tell you any different. Start with a proper stance and work from there. They need to bend their knees and squat at the hips with the upper body fairly perpendicular (don't get sticky in this just make sure the kid isn't bending at the waist.) The goal here is to build a proper stance because that is where balance comes from.

Once their stance is solid work on lengthening their stride, glide turns, crossovers and stopping. These are the building blocks.

If he is < 7 or 8 years old don't be pushing any strategy. It will take away from skill development which is key right now. Skill development is the primary goal at this age if you consider the mandates of USA hockey and Hockey Canada who sells their program model worldwide.

Shooting, passing and taking a pass are are secondary skills to develop but the main focus should continue to be skating for many years.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
A mistake lots of parrents make is forcing their kid into hockey as soon as he can walk. So some advice from random guy on the internet is: Take your kid to games, let him watch and when he tells you that he WANTS to play, start then.

Some kids start when they are 3, and then hate it because they have always been forced too.

But when he does want to play, a important thing is to always keep your head up.

Easy for you to say! I don't know if I'll ever be afford to take a kid to more than maybe one or two hockey games a year here in Toronto.

mooseOAK*

I really don't think that kids spend enough time shooting the puck having seen many players able to skate like the wind but have nothing when they get to the net.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Obviously the most important thing is that they have fun, if a kid loves hockey it can be a fantastic part of his life, something he sticks with till he's an old man and a great way to stay in shape, build friendships, get the competitive spirit flowing, learn toughness and sacrifice and effort, etc. But push him overly hard and he might end up resenting/hating the sport, and get very little out of it.

If your kid is very motivated, loves the sport, and eager to improve, I'd mostly have him work on his skating. I'm not saying neglect everything else, but the guys who are great skaters when they're young become great players for life. Shot, hands, positioning, etc., all of these things are easier to pick up when older, but it really helps to have skating nailed down when younger, rarely do you see a guy who is great with the puck but a poor skater at 14 become a great skater by 18, but plenty of speed demons who are weak with the puck at 14 become great all around players by 18. And what I mean by great skating is mostly great edge control:

- Kids should be able to turn hard with lots of weight on their inside edge/skate (too many guys just use the outside skate with their inside skate basically tagging along for the ride, a real sign of poor edge control/balance, you turn harder and more effectively with both edges engaged). Being a fast, balanced, instinctive skater in game situations is all about being totally comfortable using both edges of both skates
- Perform hard 2 footed stops in both directions (again, this is really all edge control)
- Maintaining a good athletic stance at all times (knees/ankles bent, head up, feet shoulder width apart or wider if contact is coming)
- Quick acceleration with toe starts from a stop/out of a turn
- Strong crossovers in both directions, going backwards and forwards
- A powerful full-speed forward stride, with fairly full extension, toe flick, and rapid return to the neutral position right after the push
- Learning to maintain speed in a variety of situations

Or just read the Cole's notes version :)
1. Having Fun
2. Skating

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
Stick handling with your top hand
Being very good on your edges
loose bottom hand
Mechanics of the three different shots
different types of the three different shots ( body turned to the side wrist shot, body turned towards the net wrist shot etc.)
importance of practicing
Absorbing passes
stick handling while skating with the puck
always have your feet moving
Stick handle with your head down until you can stick handle with your head up (Unless there is hitting)
THE BACKHAND
Being hungry for the puck
How to be accurate when shooting

These are the things I learned after starting hockey 5 years ago that I wish I knew when I started.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The most important thing a young child playing hockey can learn is to have fun.\
Positioning will come later. Hell up untill about 7 years old they all group together and chase the puck. Just let him/her have fun and be creative while not forcing a specific position on them.

Sportsmanship

How to lose gracefully and how to win with humility.

Since you asked what is most important to learn I will cover what I think is the most important to TEACH. For young kids in hockey the MOST important THING is FUN. Create an atmosphere of fun and the kids will love hockey and keep coming back. Make hockey into a chore and they will quit as soon as their parents will allow them to make that decision.

The most important thing to teach is skating and don't let anyone tell you any different. Start with a proper stance and work from there. They need to bend their knees and squat at the hips with the upper body fairly perpendicular (don't get sticky in this just make sure the kid isn't bending at the waist.) The goal here is to build a proper stance because that is where balance comes from.

Once their stance is solid work on lengthening their stride, glide turns, crossovers and stopping. These are the building blocks.

If he is < 7 or 8 years old don't be pushing any strategy. It will take away from skill development which is key right now. Skill development is the primary goal at this age if you consider the mandates of USA hockey and Hockey Canada who sells their program model worldwide.

Shooting, passing and taking a pass are are secondary skills to develop but the main focus should continue to be skating for many years.

all of these points are golden. The MOSTMOSTMOSTMOST important point you should take is that learning how to be a good teammate/person and having a good attitude will carry a person WAAAAAAAAYYY beyond any sport

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
Good skating skills were most important. Stick skills can be learned but if you don't know how to skate well its all for nothing.

bdbowti

Oct 27, 2010

I saw this first hand when my son and daughter were taking skating lessons. There were a couple dad's with very young kids that had their own little hockey skates and everything. The kids wanted nothing to do with skating and half the time one of them played around on the arcade and walked around the rink. The other one just cried and sat on the ice most of the time. But they kept bringing them to every class and the same thing happened. I felt bad for the kids since they obviously didn't want to skate and were being forced into it. My son loves it and wants to play and it is evident when he hits the ice.

I also work with a guy that played at a high level when he was younger and is very good. However he quit because his father forced him all along to play and he eventually hated the game. He now comes out every once in awhile for our league play but he never seems to have any fun.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Skating. Heck, even get the kid figure skating lessons.

and working hard (and of course enjoying it)

Sounds lame but it's true, figure skating helps a kids skating 10 fold. Also power skating classes if they offer it around your area.

other than skating I'd say the next most important thing is hand-eye coordination or stick handling, as in skating without looking at the puck. (also helps with passing and positioning)

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Having made it as an official, at every level of the game, start out with the skating and make sure he has fun.

Don't try to live your dream through your son.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
Having made it as an official, at every level of the game, start out with the skating and make sure he has fun.

Don't try to live your dream through your son.

please that is not my intention I am not going to force it on my son first I want it to be something me and him have to do together and to keep him active. I live in the south (Georgia). So Hockey isn't the main sport at all it's Football and Baseball by a long shot. Me and my wife have both said that we are not going to force it on him I always wanted to play and my parents couldn't afford it so I didn't get too. I grew up loving Hockey and I imagine my son will do the same just like I played football and wrestled because I loved it. It was what me and my dad did together I had a football in my hand and was wrestling my dad since as long as I can remember and probably still would if his knees would still hold up. I just want him to have something of his own that he can have fun doing like I did

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Stopping. I'd be in the NHL right now if I learned to stop before I was like 15. Crashing into the boards isn't the most effective method.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad