What are the looming issues for Dubas that you believe are key?

Pick 3 issues that are key to Dubas' success as Leafs GM.

• Total voters

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
When there's a seismic shift in cap-space cleared out towards one $11 million player, yes, the lion's share of the blame is directed towards the GM.

Incredible logic trying to solve a problem with the forward group that never existed in the first place.

More cowbell I guess?

What an incredible opportunity there was to solve the RHD problem...

Tisk tisk.

Rookie GM mistakes I guess.
Which would you rather have:

John Tavares @ $11M

or

Jordan Eberle + Brock Nelson @$11.5M

Look at what Lou has done to the Islanders cap situation since he got there. Add in Lee and Pageau at another $13M and you have a lot of long term deals at big money for guys entering their 30's.

I'm pretty happy that my rookie GM got me John Tavares thanks..

I'm also interested to know which RHD you would have had him sign for us instead of a guy who had one of the best seasons ever for a leafs center.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas spent $11 million in almost his first month on the job.

I'm sure it was an exciting time for him but he went right to the MLSE treasure vault and literally blew all the bucks on what?

A forward?!

We needed defence didn't you hear?! Specifically an RHD!!

Do you remember what you're chirping Lou for? Remember?

It'd be cool if everyone could keep up with their own arugments/criticisms.

At the very least let's at least try?
On July 1, 2019 Dubas addressed their need for a RHD when he traded Nazem Kadri for Tyson Barrie. Yes I know the trade didn't work out how everyone wanted it to when it was announced, however at least Dubas was attempting to fix that problem.

Reactions: kb

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

John Tavares @ $11M

or

Look at what Lou has done to the Islanders cap situation since he got there. Add in Lee and Pageau at another $13M and you have a lot of long term deals at big money for guys entering their 30's.

Would you prefer one used BMW/Audi over two Toyota's that are newer?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
On July 1, 2019 Dubas addressed their need for a RHD when he traded Nazem Kadri for Tyson Barrie. Yes I know the trade didn't work out how everyone wanted it to when it was announced, however at least Dubas was attempting to fix that problem.

I'm talking about at the time he took over the team.

Clearly he thought there was $11 million to spend.

He decided it was best used on a forward when the team already had no problem scoring.

What they had a problem with and still do is defending..

Dubas decided to blow up the team, salary structure, and his own future negotiating leverage with his own RFA's by handing an $11 million contract out to a forward.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

John Tavares @ $11M

or

I'm also interested to know which RHD you would have had him sign for us instead of a guy who had one of the best seasons ever for a leafs center.
Did you ever read these stories about the major role Dubas played in getting Tavares? Obviously that's something we would expect since he's the GM. However it shows what a complete opposite he was to Lou Lamoriello and the mistakes he did when they meet with Steven Stamkos in June 2016.

How the Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Tavares - Sportsnet.ca

The inside story of how the Maple Leafs won the John Tavares sweepstakes - Sportsnet.ca

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Lol Nelson is 28, Tavares is 29, and Eberle is 30. Give me the BMW/Audi that still performs like a beast with a broken hand for half a season.

I like having two productive players than a risky one that's prone to breaking down.

How many games did JT play vs. those two? Did he outscore those two players?

Who got more out of their $11 million this year? The Islanders or the Leafs?

You're talking a lot. Back it up with something now.

"Lol" doesn't count I'm afraid.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm talking about at the time he took over the team.

Clearly he thought there was $11 million to spend.

He decided it was best used on a forward when the team already had no problem scoring.

What they had a problem with and still do is defending..
On the same day Tavares signed we also heard the news that Los Angeles was signing Drew Doughty to an 8 year contract extension worth $11 million AAV, that meant he would not have become a UFA on July 1, 2019. So there was one less RHD that would have potentially become available.

The only other RHD who was set to become a UFA 1 year later would have been Erik Karlsson. However he signed an 8 year $11.5 million AAV extension with San Jose on June 17, 2019.

So please name the other RHD who were available for Dubas to sign as UFA's?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
On the same day Tavares signed we also heard the news that Los Angeles was signing Drew Doughty to an 8 year contract extension worth $11 million AAV, that meant he would not have become a UFA on July 1, 2019. So there was one less RHD that would have potentially become available.

The only other RHD who was set to become a UFA 1 year later would have been Erik Karlsson. However he also signed an 8 year $11.5 million AAV extension with San Jose on June 17, 2019.

There's an option available to GM's that's called:

Not spending $11 million for no reason.

It exists.

Who knew?

Reactions: shanwhatplan

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

It exists.

Who knew?
You previously mentioned how Dubas should have spent that $11 million on a RHD and in the two examples I said mentioned how Doughty and Karlsson were never going to be available.

When there's a seismic shift in cap-space cleared out towards one $11 million player, yes, the lion's share of the blame is directed towards the GM.

Incredible logic trying to solve a problem with the forward group that never existed in the first place.

More cowbell I guess?

What an incredible opportunity there was to solve the RHD problem...

Tisk tisk.

Rookie GM mistakes I guess.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You previously mentioned how Dubas should have spent that $11 million on a RHD and in the two examples I said they were never going to be available.

This was in response to posters suggesting that Lou should have had the defence solved during his time here, specifically at the RHD position.

Would you like quotes?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This was in response to posters suggesting that Lou should have had the defence solved during his time here, specifically at the RHD position.

Would you like quotes?
I also mentioned how Dubas addressed the RHD situation when he traded Nazem Kadri for Tyson Barrie.

So please tell me what did Lamoriello do to fix their RHD situation?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I also mentioned how Dubas addressed the RHD situation when he traded Nazem Kadri for Tyson Barrie.

So please tell me what did Lamoriello do to fix their RHD situation?

Maybe he would have spent the $11 million Dubas decided to blow on a forward on defence instead ?

Who can know at this point?

All we know for certain is Lou managed the team fiscally responsibly whereas Dubas bankrupted it against the cap and we've had to shed picks and soon to be players to afford his gross over-spending.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
At the 2018 trade deadline Lou didn't end up trading for Ryan McDonagh since it was reported how Toronto was interested in him and help on defense was a need. Instead he gets traded to Tampa Bay and is apart of the Atlantic Division. What was Lou's only trade leading up to the deadline that year, oh that's right it was trading a 2nd round pick for Tomas Plekanec which was a complete waste.

mcdonagh cost a first, so that would of been no Sandin

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Having a franchise #1C available on free agency is rare and JT is a good player and local GTA kid so the lure was great. The fact the Lou Lam just handed Dubas a franchise #1C in the Matthews, begs the question of need here to some extent. The Leafs could have moved Willy to the middle and gone with Matthews -- Nylander -- Kadri down the middle and saved $11 mil cap.

If the goal was to double down on #1 C and follow a Pittsburgh strategy of "strength down the middle" and build your forwards around those 2 pillars then a good case could be made that spending that money when that opportunity existed as elite centres make their wingers better. I agree that signing will have consequences cap wise that need to be factored in and can't be blamed on past management when you can't control your spending habits.

Dubas biggest mistake was the near $18 mil he has invested in wingers Nylander and Marner. Many people including hockey employed ones including former NHL GMs have suggested that if you want JT then it should come at the expense of one of those players to be re-invested in a top 4 Dman. Leafs have 1/2 their cap invested in 4 forwards and a defense that looks like a dog breakfast going forward and a flat cap for the next 3 years.

The question will always remain can you build a Cup competitive team when you have sooooo much cap money $$ invested in soooo few players all forwards. Leafs could have passed on JT and rather invested those cap $$ in a #1Dman like Drew Doughty and kept the 3 Amigos and been in a much better position today. IMO

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Giving Patrick Marleau 3 years and $6.25 million AAV when he was 37 years old is not managing the team responsibly.

Also giving Zaitsev and Matt Martin 7 and 4 years, respectively, is not fiscally responsible.

Looking at the cap situation the Isles are in now further seems to demonstrate, to me, that Lou would have not been much better with the cap. He may have saved a few million on the cap with the big 3's contracts, but it evident he would have signed bloated contracts on depth players which would negate the savings on the better players.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Yet somehow the team developed into a winner *EDIT* by Leafs standards.

With veteran defencemen occupying the hotspots, no less.

The Bruins completely exploited and dominated the Leafs' weakness on RHD in Lou's last days as GM. He had 3 years to fix it and did nothing.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

The only other RHD who was set to become a UFA 1 year later would have been Erik Karlsson. However he signed an 8 year $11.5 million AAV extension with San Jose on June 17, 2019.

It exists.

Who knew?

Trade for a RD?

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Amazing how common sense and facts aren't a requirement for posts.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Trade for a RD?
Wasn't an option, really. Who exactly do you trade for top flight D - especially if you don't have Tavares?

Do you trade Matthews? Marner?

When you do a lineup without 2 of Tavares, Matthews, Marner, it suddenly looks like a 20th place team.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad