What are the looming issues for Dubas that you believe are key?

Pick 3 issues that are key to Dubas' success as Leafs GM.

• Total voters

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not sure I agree with this take. The equivalent identical second contracts with today's cap, the Hawks would have been paying them in excess of $9 million each in todays cap landscape.

And that was back when the second RFA discount contract was still an option.

Cap on Chicago’s last win 2014/2015 season was 69 million
They were making 6.3 million each
Cap today 81.5 million

Cap equivalent today 7.4 million

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Cap was $59.3 million when they signed those contracts in 2010. So $9 million plus equivalent.

Going by the year they actually won in 2015, since the debate was about the 2014/2015 season not 2010.
If you use 2010, even though doesn’t apply to discussion, math works out to 8.65 million

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They were 11.1% of the cap each when they signed their second contracts.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-toews

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/patrick-kane

Works out to just over $9 million on todays $81.5 million.

No one but you brought up 2015.

The conversation was between acrobatgolie and I, which You piped into the conversation , acrobatgoalie brought up 2015, thus why discussing that year. Preface of conversation was in 2015, Kane and Toews were on their 10.5 million, which they weren’t yet.
This conversation has run its course thanks,

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas and Hunter were interim GMs during the Kessel debacle and trade on July 1 2015, after paying him his $4 mil signing bonus first, and agreeing to 6 years of $1.2 mil retained salary for one of the better goal scorers in the game. At which point Shanny had seen enough to realize they weren't ready and hired Lou Lamoriello a few weeks later on July 23rd as Leafs GM. They ended up gifting the Pens on their way to winning Cups thanks to Leafs.
When they traded Kessel to Pittsburgh I read that Shanahan was the one who took the lead on making it happen because he wanted to see Kessel get traded. So it was his call to retain the $1.2 million of his contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When they traded Kessel to Pittsburgh I read that Shanahan was the one who took the lead on making it happen because he wanted to see Kessel get traded. So it was his call to retain the $1.2 million of his contract.
Dubas conducted the trade. Lou Lam was brought in shortly after to mentor.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas conducted the trade. Lou Lam was brought in shortly after to mentor.
It's still a fact that Shanahan was more involved because he wanted Kessel traded because of the rebuild.

Leafs ship Kessel to Penguins - TSN.ca

"Phil is certainly a very talented player, but we know that changes had to come," Leafs president Brendan Shanahan said. "What we were doing here as a group wasn't working, and we were setting a bit of new direction for our club and building it differently."

"When you recognize that a group is maybe not going to get to the ultimate place that maybe you want to it to be, you put out the message to the rest of the world at the end of the season that you're willing to make changes," Shanahan said. "The way that our team was assembled and going forward it wasn't going to get much better.
"

Although according to Dubas he said if Kapanen was not included the trade doesn't even happen.

"If Kapanen wasn't in the deal, I don't think we'd be standing here," Dubas said "He's a highly-skilled guy with excellent feet. ... He's a player with a lot of potential."

Also just because Shanahan hired Lou a few weeks later wasn't because of the trade. I remember he contacted Lou a few days after the Devils announced he was no longer going to be their GM and asked if he was interested in coming to Toronto to be their GM, so that was in May 2015.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's still a fact that Shanahan was more involved because he wanted Kessel traded because of the rebuild.

Leafs ship Kessel to Penguins - TSN.ca

"Phil is certainly a very talented player, but we know that changes had to come," Leafs president Brendan Shanahan said. "What we were doing here as a group wasn't working, and we were setting a bit of new direction for our club and building it differently."

"When you recognize that a group is maybe not going to get to the ultimate place that maybe you want to it to be, you put out the message to the rest of the world at the end of the season that you're willing to make changes," Shanahan said. "The way that our team was assembled and going forward it wasn't going to get much better.
"

Although according to Dubas he said if Kapanen was not included the trade doesn't even happen.

"If Kapanen wasn't in the deal, I don't think we'd be standing here," Dubas said "He's a highly-skilled guy with excellent feet. ... He's a player with a lot of potential."

Also just because Shanahan hired Lou a few weeks later wasn't because of the trade. I remember he contacted Lou a few days after the Devils announced he was no longer going to be their GM and asked if he was interested in coming to Toronto to be their GM, so that was in May 2015.

On the last Leafs report podcast they did a retrospective on the Kessel trade to the Pens and Mirtle implied thag Shanahan likely had a dislike of Kessel

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
On the last Leafs report podcast they did a retrospective on the Kessel trade to the Pens and Mirtle implied thag Shanahan likely had a dislike of Kessel
That doesn't surprise me and I believe it goes back to "Salute Gate" which Shanahan felt Kessel was responsible for it happening. There was a video of Kessel telling Phaneuf not to salute the fans when they won that game against Tampa Bay, since they were booed off the ice 2 days earlier in that 9-2 loss against Nashville.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
How come getting an actual penalty killing centremen is never on the need list ??
hmm perhaps someone more effective than Gauthier and someone who isnt Hyman or Marner

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
That doesn't surprise me and I believe it goes back to "Salute Gate" which Shanahan felt Kessel was responsible for it happening. There was a video of Kessel telling Phaneuf not to salute the fans when they won that game against Tampa Bay, since they were booed off the ice 2 days earlier in that 9-2 loss against Nashville.
hey buddy. I hope you had a good day
man... I'm so happy the Kessel and Phaneuf days are behind us... you look at this team now and it's a night and day difference. Shanahan and Co have done an amazing job. I can't wait for the playoffs... I think we're going to surprise some people.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
hey buddy. I hope you had a good day
man... I'm so happy the Kessel and Phaneuf days are behind us... you look at this team now and it's a night and day difference. Shanahan and Co have done an amazing job. I can't wait for the playoffs... I think we're going to surprise some people.
As players I have nothing against Kessel and Phaneuf because they never complained about having to play in Toronto. However them being traded was a good thing because it needed to happen for the rebuild and I agree that Shanahan and everyone he's hired as done an amazing job.

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
A lot depends on our young guys. Robertson, Sandin, Liljegren, Woll, Korshkov, Barabanov.

If these guy can take someone’s job in the next 1-2 years, it makes higher-ticket players like Andersen and Rielly replaceable at a much lower cost. Guys like Kerfoot, Kapanen, and Johnsson become expendable, giving us precious cap space. Their development is crucial to our future success.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Managing team depth and the salary cap is the most interesting dance, and Dubas has been working it from the minute he took the job. Especially with a stagnant cap it will be imperative to make smart moves that surround our star forwards with capable depth and complimentary players. Ultimately, we may be forced to trade one of the 4, but I think Dubas will be damned if he doesnt try literally everything else he possibly can first.

The slightly more acute/commonly discussed topic is the D. We have two fantastic pillars in our defense with Rielly and Muzzin. But otherwise we have the defense of a rebuilding team. Holl seems like a good depth guy who can handle some top4 minutes, but our other long term pieces of Dermott, Liljegren, and Sandin all need time and room to make mistakes in order to develop properly. If we could stuff them into a time machine and get them back in their primes, we'd have a wicked defense core, but instead we need to navigate being a contending team that wants to ice a competent back-end while keeping the kids with upside. The timeline doesn't quite add up, so it will be interesting to see how Dubas navigates their development and what additions/changes he's willing to make in the D-group.

I’m sure posters on here get tired of reading my posts. I believe we missed our chance to be true Cup contenders when we signed Tavares, along with our “big 3” not taking any discounts. This accelerated our rebuild too quickly, where our offence was way ahead of our defence (not enough/basically no money to significantly upgrade our defence). I truly believe either Marner or Nylander need to be traded for help on defence to balance this difference out.
I bleed blue and white, so I continue to hope that I’m proven wrong, and Dubas can make this work.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lou vs Kyle continues through wonderful social media platforms like Twitter.

One of them is a Hall of famer, and the other one is still learning on the job at his first NHL position.
Dubas first job at the NHL when Brendan Shanahan hired him in July 2014 was as the Assistant General Manager. So it's not like he came from Sault Ste. Marie of the OHL and was automatically named the General Manager.

Plus you are forgetting that Dubas was also the General Manager of the Marlies while being the Assistant General Manager of the Maple Leafs.

Reactions: stickty111

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Dubas first job at the NHL when Brendan Shanahan hired him in July 2014 was as the Assistant General Manager. So it's not like he came from Sault Ste. Marie of the OHL and was automatically named the General Manager.

Plus you are forgetting that Dubas was also the General Manager of the Marlies while being the Assistant General Manager of the Maple Leafs.

Yes. I am aware of that. That doesn't get him any closer to Lou's accomplishments and stature. Some day perhaps...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lou vs Kyle continues through wonderful social media platforms like Twitter.

One of them is a Hall of famer, and the other one is still learning on the job at his first NHL position.
The last time Lou actually accomplished something was a long time ago. Hall of famer yes, but lets not pretend he has an amazing resume every year. He also left a huge mess with the Devils, and his work with the Leafs and Isles has been below average at best.
Lou has been pretty awful for a decade.

People are still being attaching to some great things he did 15 years ago, but completely ignore the past 15 years. Pretty much like Babcock, who hasn't done a single thing in the NHL for a decade.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lou is currently a bottom 5 GM in the league. I think he's lost some of his faculties IMO, just like Fletcher's second go around in Toronto.
It's funny how people look at stuff he accomplished years ago, but don't mention his awful work the last 10 years.
You can still be a hall of famer, but be bad lately which Lou has been. Hall of famer doesn't mean your perfect.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lou is currently a bottom 5 GM in the league. I think he's lost some of his faculties IMO, just like Fletcher's second go around in Toronto.

The last time Lou actually accomplished something was a long time ago. Hall of famer yes, but lets not pretend he has an amazing resume every year. He also left a huge mess with the Devils, and his work with the Leafs and Isles has been below average at best.

People are still being attaching to some great things he did 15 years ago, but completely ignore the past 15 years. Pretty much like Babcock, who hasn't done a single thing in the NHL for a decade.

It's funny how people look at stuff he accomplished years ago, but don't mention his awful work the last 10 years.
You can still be a hall of famer, but be bad lately which Lou has been. Hall of famer doesn't mean your perfect.
The only trade Lou made during his time in Toronto that had a major impact was when he acquired Frederik Andersen from Anaheim.

I know he was the GM when they drafted Auston Matthews, however selecting him 1st overall is a decision anyone would have made.

Yes he did re-sign Morgan Rielly and Nazem Kadri to their current contracts, however at that time Toronto had just finished last place overall in the 2015-16 season and it's not like they had any negotiating power on their side like Matthews and Marner did.

In fact when it comes to contract negotiations I remember hearing how Nylander wanted 8 years and $8.5 million AAV since he used Leon Draisaitl as his comparable. Instead Dubas got him to sign for 6 years at $6.96 million AAV.

Finally I know Lou re-signed Zach Hyman once his 2 year ELC had finished. However if Kyle Dubas never traded for Hyman's rights that's something Lou would have never got the chance to do.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

That's the thing about fickle people. They think they can just strip NHL coaches and GMs of their accomplishments, but you can't. Their reach goes far beyond fantasy leagues, video games, and analytics bloggers.

I'm sorry but KD is really new and you can't even come close to comparing him to anyone with lou lamoriello's clout. You don't even have enough years with Lou in TOR to evaluate him as "below average". What did he do to to even get that label? Sign Marleau to a 3 year deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->