What are the looming issues for Dubas that you believe are key?

Pick 3 issues that are key to Dubas' success as Leafs GM.

• Total voters

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Almost no posts in the last 7 pages about "looming issues for Dubas", just comparing him to Lou and occasionally pissing on Babcock.:laugh: I wonder how much different this discussion might be after the playoffs. Which of the players we see as expendable now will earn a reset? Which of the core will disappoint us? Will they have a solid run to support Keefe and KD or will they get bounced early and the pitchforks come out? Things are going to shift.
An early bounce puts Dubas in the crosshairs. He will be forced to make a big impactful move. Failing that, he will get canned. The board has been reset. The chance to get the team healthy has accelerated expectations by a year.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
It was more about getting a defenseman who could move the puck up the ice and effectively exit the zone from the right side, since that was a huge weakness that had been heavily exploited by Boston for two playoffs in a row. Also important was the fact that he only makes 2.75m, because Colorado was one of few teams that could afford to eat half of his cap hit.
Big fail. Barrie can move the puck but only north of the neutral zone. He is terrible at exiting the dzone.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Handling Mo’s contract situation.

Acquiring a top-pairing Dman under a flat salary cap for what will probably be a few years is no longer an option.

I’m just glad that the Leafs acquired a competent backup with starting potential because Freddy is also as good as gone after next season with the salary cap staying flat.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I've yet to hear any other possible option.

He didn't get "bent over" by our RFAs. This isn't an actual option. Regardless of what false things you want to believe about their worth, Dubas got the best deal possible. The only alternative would have been trading them under value, which would fall under the "severely downgrading the team in some other ridiculous way" category.

Except he quite literally did. He was a 35+ contract with a NMC thanks to our good pal Lou.
PM didn't hold all the cards , he didn't want to play his final year here and Dubas could have leveraged that into Marleau giving him an expanded list of teams he'd go to , instead he caved like the weak bitch he is and let Marleau dictate the terms of his departure

he did get bent over in all the rfa deals , the entire league knows it , the agents know it , there's just a small group of people like yourself who refuse to accept the facts

hell you can't give me the comparable's for Marner's deal that yo say you've posted countless times lol and the only comparable people could find that even comes close to AM's deal is Malkin who signed his 2nd deal over 10 years ago , however AM didn't accomplish as much as Malkin did so his contact really isn't comparable

funny how all the insiders were saying the other rfa's agent were waiting for Dubie to take it hard again in MM's negotiations and even when he did their GM's just said because Dubie's a bitch doesn't me the rest of us are so his deals are just outliers and not to be used as comparable's

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
do you have anything to back that up? From 16-19 (they don't have data for 2020) he was in the 86th percentile for zone exits with possession
Games I watched. Barrie not only didnt move the puck, he often blew the zone. I would love to see stats that counter that because it was really obvious.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He is terrible at exiting the dzone.
He is not. His final 3 years in Colorado, he was one of the best in the league at it. The Barrie acquisition checked a lot of boxes, and he was an important and underrated part of our defense, especially when everybody else started dropping like flies.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
He is not. His final 3 years in Colorado, he was one of the best in the league at it. The Barrie acquisition checked a lot of boxes, and he was an important and underrated part of our defense, especially when everybody else started dropping like flies.
I'm talking about his games on the leafs. Has a great shot, strong offensively but definitely weak in zone denial and zone exits. That is the kind of dman the leafs need...albeit a good point shot would also be good.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
PM didn't hold all the cards , he didn't want to play his final year here and Dubas could have leveraged that into Marleau giving him an expanded list of teams he'd go to
Yes, he did hold all the cards, thanks to Lou. Marleau didn't want to play here specifically because he only wanted to play in San Jose and be close to his family. San Jose could not afford to take him at 6.25m. The only alternative was to send him to somewhere that would buy him out. Carolina was one of the only teams if not the only team that could afford to do that.
he did get bent over in all the rfa deals
He did not. I addressed this in my previous post.
hell you can't give me the comparable's for Marner's deal that yo say you've posted countless times
Well you mentioned Kane, so: Analyzing Dubas's performance - (Full Analysis)
however AM didn't accomplish as much as Malkin did so his contact really isn't comparable
Matthews was actually not that far off from Malkin pre-signing, and a better goal scorer, even though Malkin started in his D+2 season, and got to play with Crosby a bunch.

Reactions: Menzinger

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm talking about his games on the leafs.
I don't have those numbers handy, but I see no reason why one of the best in the league at it over a significant sample would suddenly become "terrible" over an offseason. Seems like you're basing this on nothing. Also, we're talking about the acquisition, so what happened this year hadn't happened yet. He was one of the best in the league at something we were absolutely horrible at on the right side, that had contributed to 2 straight playoff losses.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yes, he did hold all the cards, thanks to Lou. Marleau didn't want to play here specifically because he only wanted to play in San Jose and be close to his family. San Jose could not afford to take him at 6.25m. The only alternative was to send him to somewhere that would buy him out. Carolina was one of the only teams if not the only team that could afford to do that.

He did not. I addressed this in my previous post.

Well you mentioned Kane, so: Analyzing Dubas's performance - (Full Analysis)

Matthews was actually not that far off from Malkin pre-signing, and a better goal scorer, even though Malkin started in his D+2 season, and got to play with Crosby a bunch.
you keep Dubas didn't get bent over but you can't come up with any comparable deals , Kane signed for 11.09% or about 9m at today's cap and even going back over a decade people have to spin real hard to try to make the case Malkin is somewhat a comparable to Mathews

so i'll keep asking , what comparable's deals out are there for Marner and Mathews that justify your belief that Dubas didn't get bent over ?

Last edited:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I don't have those numbers handy, but I see no reason why one of the best in the league at it over a significant sample would suddenly become "terrible" over an offseason. Seems like you're basing this on nothing. Also, we're talking about the acquisition, so what happened this year hadn't happened yet. He was one of the best in the league at something we were absolutely horrible at on the right side, that had contributed to 2 straight playoff losses.
I was basing it on watching the games. It was something I was looking for because the leafs have been unable to execute them for a few years. Perhaps you can point me to a game where we see a player with the name Barrie on his back who has a puck on his stick while crossing the defensive blue line. For that matter, I would probably like to see a clip of Barrie already not past the blue line while the puck is being moved out.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
you keep Dubas didn't get bent over but you can't come up with any comparable deals , Kane signed for 11.09% or about 9m at today's cap and even going back over a decade people have to spin real hard to try to make the case Malkin is somewhat a comparable

so i'll keep asking , what comparable's deals out are there for Marner and Mathews that justify your belief that Dubas didn't get bent over ?

Braydon Point 3 years at 6.75 million compared to Marner is a good example.
MM - 300 g, 291 points
BP- 295 g, 262 points, 33 more goals

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
you can't come up with any comparable deals
I literally just linked you to a comparison between Marner and Kane.

Not sure why you're looking for super recent comparables when they are extremely rare talents. Marner also got a reasonable amount more than Rantanen. You can find a comparison between Marner and him in that same thread.

Except you already know all this, because we've had this same discussion countless times.

Reactions: Menzinger

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
MM - 300 g, 291 points
yes he is but the Deker needs to come up with a comparable to justify the contract Dubas gave Marner

poor guy keeps saying Dubas signed M and M to fair market deals but he can't back it up with any comparable's that signed similar contracts

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
As an outsider I personally feel Matthews should have gotten the deal he got as a 40g scorer

Marner though...

I think Toronto is best moving Marner for Assets and cap space instead of the common theme of moving guys like Johnsson and Kapanen, guys who if in your middle/bottom-6 help in a playoff series more than you know.

Marner at his cap hit moved would allow JT to take more offensive risks and likely increase his totals (he did always do better with worse linemates lol), as well as allow room for a defensive signing

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
How would the Leafs acquire this top pairing RHD?

Genuinely curious.

I’m curious as well. That’s why I said just hang onto the money if no one is available. We don’t have to spend for the sake of spending.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
MM - 300 g, 291 points
Marner has a better contract but your numbers are a bit misleading. There are no ufa years, it is a much shorter contract and Tampa players are all about 2mm below market on term deals. They may rule the day they didnt lock that fellow in longer.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
The Leafs aren't going to trade their best right winger. He plays well with Matthews and Tavares, can play the PP and PK. Marner can also fit the puck in the tight spaces, which many players can't. If anything Nylander, will be traded before Marner.

I also prefer Marner over Nylander, especially because he also kills penalties. However, I doubt that we can properly balance the 4 lines and our defence with $33 million being spent on just 3 forwards.
I’ve said it before, I hope I’m proven wrong.
Also, until the Leafs make a serious run in the playoffs (and not just for one season), I don’t consider us to be true Cup contenders. I know this is just my opinion.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I literally just linked you to a comparison between Marner and Kane.

Not sure why you're looking for super recent comparables when they are extremely rare talents. Marner also got a reasonable amount more than Rantanen. You can find a comparison between Marner and him in that same thread.

Except you already know all this, because we've had this same discussion countless times.
and as i just told you Kane signed for almost 2 million less at today's cap so tell me again how using Kane justifies Dubas paying Marner almost 11m ?

also i have no idea how you figure he should have gotten more than Rants but i guess your getting desperate since you've run out of bs to try to prove our rfa's weren't overpaid

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
As an outsider I personally feel Matthews should have gotten the deal he got as a 40g scorer

Marner though...

I think Toronto is best moving Marner for Assets and cap space instead of the common theme of moving guys like Johnsson and Kapanen, guys who if in your middle/bottom-6 help in a playoff series more than you know.

Marner at his cap hit moved would allow JT to take more offensive risks and likely increase his totals (he did always do better with worse linemates lol), as well as allow room for a defensive signing
You do not move a potential 100 point forward at age 22 for cap space.

You can replace guys like Kapanen/Johnsson. You can't replace elite players at any position easily.

Yes his contract kind of sucks, especially compared to Nylander, but trading him only makes us worse.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
It was more about getting a defenseman who could move the puck up the ice and effectively exit the zone from the right side, since that was a huge weakness that had been heavily exploited by Boston for two playoffs in a row. Also important was the fact that he only makes 2.75m, because Colorado was one of few teams that could afford to eat half of his cap hit.

You’re right. Good points.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->