What are the Jets waiting for?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I am all for having a plan, a strong blueprint, and a management team dedicated and devoted to seeing it through. Quick fix roster moves can put you behind the 8-ball and do more harm than good. However, there has to be a middle ground here within this long-term plan. It's not a one-way street, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can have a long-term plan but still be proactive within that plan. Gary Lawless recently suggested otherwise. At this point in "the process", I disagree. Quite strongly.

I like Kevin Cheveldayoff, I have faith in him. With that being said, the NHL is a moving parts business. When the doors you ordered don't fit the blueprint of your long-term, forever home, no matter how much you love the design and believe it to look beautiful, you have to change them. When a player or coach doesn't fit, you have to change them, too.

Continue reading...

Sorry for the length, ladies and gents, but there's a lot on my mind. :D

thed00d

Sep 29, 2010
I agree with your rationale here. You have those who are asking for changes to coaching staff and the roster, and then you have those saying "it's a process", "it's only been x amount of games" and to "not hit the panic button".

Are Winnipeg fans supposed to wait around with a team who's expectations are to continually miss the playoffs because "it's a process"? Is Chevy going to finally present a team after 5 years and say this is the one? I don't think so. It is a process, and it started in 2011....we need to see improvement.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
What type of moves are you expecting?

To me the additions of guys like Frolik and Setoguchi are the exact kind of "middle-ground" moves you are asking for, same goes for Jokinen the summer before.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
What type of moves are you expecting?

How about the following "even" cap hit trades:

Buff for B. Schenn and Coburn + pick

Setoguchi for Klesla (Coyotes fan actually came to me on this one) with conditional picks if either don't re-sign

Pavelec bought out in summer, and trade a pick for Hillers rights

All practical moves that improve our roster now and in the future without any serious downside.

thed00d

Sep 29, 2010
I don't know what the right moves are....I don't run a hockey team. On paper this team has improved, but on the ice is a different story.
It's frustrating that a good part of this fanbase is ok with missing the playoffs. I mean, if playoffs aren't the goal each and every year, what's the point?

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This article to me just appears to be some early season fear mongering. It's not like Chevy has done nothing to try and remedy this teams issues, it's just a lot more difficult than this article makes it seem. There is no magic switch to make this team a Stanley Cup contender overnight. The problem with this team right now is poor goaltending, inconsistent goal scoring (coaching maybe?), and poor special teams (definitely coaching), not due to inactivity on Chevy's part.

What has Chevy done about the goaltending situation? First, he signed Pavelec to a long term deal as there were no better options for this team at the time through free agency or trade route. A trade involving a top tier goaltender would require too many assets to be sold off. Even a moderately unproven goaltender (IE Ben Bishop) netted the Sens an excellent return. Chevy also tried to sign Jonas Gustavsson and probably other goaltenders before settling on Montoya. Montoya wasn't a bad choice IMO, as he has yet to prove where he fits in the league as he has played so little games for us. This is one of the reasons he was resigned this year.

What has Chevy done about improving our secondary goal scoring? Part of the middle ground you are referring to has already tried to be addressed by Chevy in the signing of Olli Jokinen and the trades for Setoguchi and Frolik. Are they failures? It's slightly early to say, which is why it's not time to hit the panic button, but I think we can all agree that most of them have failed to live up to their billing so far. Chevy has also mentioned about looking for a trade to improve the teams goal scoring, so I am certain we will see some movement in the future. Just don't expect a blockbuster trade.

The last part comes down to coaching. This seems to be a hot topic for our fans, but I don't expect a coaching change to magically make us into a playoff team unless we are able to sign the next Scotty Bowman. I wont' give an opinion either way on weather Noel should be fired or not, but I will say that I would rather have a coaching change first then blowing up the core of our roster.

Has Chevy made some poor choices? In hindsight absolutely, but I don't think there were many more options available to us as we had to rebuild our depth through the draft because we had none when we inherited this team. We can't all of a sudden trade that away to make us better now. We are stuck with this team through the good times and the bad but there are definitely signs that things will be trending upwards in the future.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Very good read, Matt. I agree with your perspective and I think for the most part I agree with the philosophy long-term of the Winnipeg Jets and Kevin Cheveldayoff.

I think where I differ is the amount of patience I would display with the more easily fixed aspects of this team. I do not think sacrificing another year without playoffs is worth trying to discover if Noel can figure it out, or for that matter to see if Pavelec can magically somehow change his historic ability level and become a league average to above average goalie.

Another season of losing will do nothing for our young core to make them better players. It will do nothing to advance our chances of winning a Stanley Cup, besides perhaps getting a better draft pick that might some day have a positive roster impact.

The changes that Chevy can make, today, to improve our chances THIS YEAR are kind of simple and will not affect the teams long term plan.

Specifically: New coach, trade Byfuglien for a proven centre, and play Montoya while finding a more permanent goaltending solution.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I couldn't have said it better Jet. There are moves that can be made that will not sacrifice the long term outlook of this team at all, if anything help it out. "Sticking to the plan" doesn't mean sitting on our hands.

That being said I fully expect Chevy to do something within the next couple weeks if this continues. Not a panic move, but a calculated move. There's nothing wrong with that.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Very good read, Matt. I agree with your perspective and I think for the most part I agree with the philosophy long-term of the Winnipeg Jets and Kevin Cheveldayoff.

I think where I differ is the amount of patience I would display with the more easily fixed aspects of this team. I do not think sacrificing another year without playoffs is worth trying to discover if Noel can figure it out, or for that matter to see if Pavelec can magically somehow change his historic ability level and become a league average to above average goalie.

Another season of losing will do nothing for our young core to make them better players. It will do nothing to advance our chances of winning a Stanley Cup, besides perhaps getting a better draft pick that might some day have a positive roster impact.

The changes that Chevy can make, today, to improve our chances THIS YEAR are kind of simple and will not affect the teams long term plan.

Specifically: New coach, trade Byfuglien for a proven centre, and play Montoya while finding a more permanent goaltending solution.

I couldn't have said it better Jet. There are moves that can be made that will not sacrifice the long term outlook of this team at all, if anything help it out. "Sticking to the plan" doesn't mean sitting on our hands.

That being said I fully expect Chevy to do something within the next couple weeks if this continues. Not a panic move, but a calculated move. There's nothing wrong with that.

Agree and agree.

I also don't view this as early season fear mongering, more so an opinion formed by myself after observing since the team arrived. I've long been very patient and very optimistic. Those familiar with me will know I was once completely on board with giving Claude Noel the time and resources needed to guide this team to better days. However, I'm not seeing it, I don't see the fit here and for a coach to have yet to form an identity with this team nor gain any sort of consistency. That is very worrisome to me. But, as I've also said, prove me wrong here and improve on the ice and I'll be very happy.

I am 100% all for a long-term approach. I want to get to a point where we are a contending and playoff competitive team year in, year out. I feel we are close, but I believe some tinkering may need done to get there, and in order to do that we cannot just sit tight, "like a rock" and not make any player or personnel moves even if we continue with poor results.

With that being said, I feel the organization right now is at a point where all things considered, from top to bottom, is in a solid position to make roster moves if they're of fit and if they become necessary, also moves like perhaps trading a high draft pick if the deal improves us today and over the long-term. Will we possibly trade a Dustin Byfuglien in order to help change the tide here? I don't know, but I hope we would do those things (in general) if things continue going poorly. Or personnel moves if things don't go well, will we fire Noel?

I suppose my article here was more so than less directed at Lawless' article this morning, which I heavily disagree with. Why it seems like such a horrifying, against the grain concept or idea for this organization to possibly make a key trade or fire a coach, I am really unsure. At some point I believe it has to be done, likely sooner than later, in my own opinion.

Judging by Lawless' opinion, even if things continue going poorly we should just "sit tight", tuck our head between our arms and continue taking jabs. Why? I fail to see where that gets us at this point given our core is locked up to 5-7 year deals paying 190+ million, our prospects and young players are making way, the system is getting stocked, etc. I see us very close to being in a position of strength and in an optimal position to take a step forward here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad