What are the Implications if A Young Gun Demands A Trade?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think receiving the lucrative contracts they received should buy the Oilers some loyalty and time from both RNH and Hall. No bridge contract and making $6M a year at 21. Not a lot of organizations do that for their players. Look what Montreal did to PK Subban.

RNH just signed his last year. Do people really think he has asked for a trade already?

Dany Heatley proved this to be completely moot.

I give Hall till the Trade Deadline at the absolute most before he asks for a trade. I'm actually expecting one before Christmas.

The Oilers are just toxic.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
What I would like to see is Taylor Hall holding the organization hostage and say, "Kevin Lowe, please resign or I demand a trade!"

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So lets say we are sitting 0-8-1-1 after 10 and Taylor Hall (eg) asks for a trade. What are the implications from a management standpoint. Of course the team becomes even more of a joke on the ice as I doubt we'd get fair value back.

But what would some of the larger implications be?

1. How would this impact Eakins as the coach? What would it say about him?
2. MacT and management building a team around a star like Hall.
3. Development of the club over the last 5 years?
4. How would the league look at the organization?
5. Is this something we should paradoxically be wanting to get wholesale change at the top?
The last time a player from this team demanded a trade and criticized the organization they buried him in the AHL to teach him a lesson. I can't, with a straight face, say that this organization ever learns from its mistakes so who knows what they'd do if it happens again.

One thing for sure though is if trade demands go public it lowers a players value. Considering this organization hasn't been able to get value on anybody it moves it'll only make it much worse.

If this happens, my guess is the organization gets the media on its side in an effort to smear the player and shift the focus as far away as they possibly can from the reasons the player wanted out. That's what they did with Souray and it worked just fine. As we saw with Katz' form letter to the fans last year during the fire Lowe campaign that they are happy dusting off the things that have worked for them in the past.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So lets say we are sitting 0-8-1-1 after 10 and Taylor Hall (eg) asks for a trade. What are the implications from a management standpoint. Of course the team becomes even more of a joke on the ice as I doubt we'd get fair value back.

But what would some of the larger implications be?

1. How would this impact Eakins as the coach? What would it say about him?
2. MacT and management building a team around a star like Hall.
3. Development of the club over the last 5 years?
4. How would the league look at the organization?
5. Is this something we should paradoxically be wanting to get wholesale change at the top?

1: If Hopkins or Hall demanded a trade, you'd think that Mac-T would have a conversation with the players demanding a trade and convince them to stay if there was a new coach. If the players agreed to stay in town in the event that Mac-T agreed to fire Eakins if they stayed, they might go along with it.... but there's a chance that they'd still say no... because they want to win and they might say they're flat out sick and tired of the same old routine of changing coaches, adapting to new systems and continue to look like losers.

2: Nothing wrong with building around your stars. We knew what we had in Hall when we drafted Hall. He wants to win. It just makes Lowe look like an idiot for allowing the team to tank for so long. I really don't think we tanked on purpose over the past two seasons. The problem was that we gained such a bad reputation for tanking for so long that it made players avoid our city and it took us longer to get the attention of prime free agents. If nothing goes wrong PR-wise, I wouldn't be surprised if quality free agents started knocking on our door if we became a competitive team.

3: Of the club? Including the prospect pool? Nobody is going to knock that. Well at least nobody should. Even if we had to trade Hall and Hopkins, the quality of prospects in our top 20 is a billion times better than it ever was before Hall came here. Remember when JFJ, Dubnyk and Schremp were the top prospects in our system? Where would they fit into our top 20 now? Dubby would be in the top 10 and the other two would be outside of the top 10. With or without Hall and Hopkins we've still got a lot of prospects that should turn into serviceable NHL players and that's something we never had before all this craziness happened.

4: Ron Hextall and Brian Burke would co-host a weekly show where they poke fun at and laugh till they fall out of their chairs at our organization.

5: If the results aren't any better than they were before, something has to give. If the management is unwilling to trade away Hall or Eberle for pieces that make us harder to play against, then it has to be the coaching or management.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The last time a player from this team demanded a trade and criticized the organization they buried him in the AHL to teach him a lesson. I can't, with a straight face, say that this organization ever learns from its mistakes so who knows what they'd do if it happens again.

One thing for sure though is if trade demands go public it lowers a players value. Considering this organization hasn't been able to get value on anybody it moves it'll only make it much worse.

If this happens, my guess is the organization gets the media on its side in an effort to smear the player and shift the focus as far away as they possibly can from the reasons the player wanted out. That's what they did with Souray and it worked just fine. As we saw with Katz' form letter to the fans last year during the fire Lowe campaign that they are happy dusting off the things that have worked for them in the past.

Souray didn't just demand a trade. He pretty much claimed malpractice by our medical staff and blamed the whole organization for it. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened 5-10 times a year, but it's incredibly unusual to hear players gripe about it. Be it right or wrong, there's obviously a code in the NHL to keep your mouth shut about that stuff because you didn't hear about anyone pointing fingers at Edmonton about it.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Dany Heatley proved this to be completely moot.

I give Hall till the Trade Deadline at the absolute most before he asks for a trade. I'm actually expecting one before Christmas.

The Oilers are just toxic.

Care to wager since you are so sure? I'll bet up to $200 he doesn't.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

At a start like that, the media won't even be able to save the incompetent regime.

I've pretty much come to the opinion without a complete overhaul of the organization, nothing is really going to change. I wouldn't even know who to bring in at this point. I've argued before that I think Barnett could do a good job minus his personal relationship with the current numb nuts running the team. He's one of the best talent evaluators I've ever seen. That said, his relationship with the current guys might get in the way. So leaving all the retreads to choose from, it's slim pickins.

If a Hall was to demand a trade, the only thing they can really do is what the Sens did with Spezza. You make the best deal. Right now, the first priority should be moving Eakins out and bringing in a retread for the rest of the season and try like hell to pry a legitimate motivator who gets the most out of young players. Blashill is that guy.

I can go on for hours but in to busy watching another 10 minute stretch of guys going through the motions. Hopefully it gets better.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Souray didn't just demand a trade. He pretty much claimed malpractice by our medical staff and blamed the whole organization for it. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened 5-10 times a year, but it's incredibly unusual to hear players gripe about it. Be it right or wrong, there's obviously a code in the NHL to keep your mouth shut about that stuff because you didn't hear about anyone pointing fingers at Edmonton about it.

My guess is if a core player does demand a trade he will try to back it up by telling the media why he's doing it. That's why I brought up the Souray example. We are in a very hot hockey market and it would be the biggest sports story in years here. This of course is on the assumption that it's made public and it happens in the middle of the season.

If it isn't made public then nobody ever needs to know and the organization can just say it was a hockey trade. If it happens at the end of the year then the player can leave town and go hide in Hawaii until the heat dies down.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I also think the reaction will be different depending on who it is from the media and management.

Yakupov demands a trade. There you go another Russian primadonna. Nail wasnt willing to be part of a team philosophy.

Hall demands a trade. Taylor is such a competitor and wants to win right now. Were about building a perennial competitor and that take time. Were sorry it couldnt work out the way we wanted with Taylor.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Depends on the player and the return they get.

Let's be honest, we're all thinking about Hall. This guy wants to win more than anybody, you can see it on the ice, ever since he was a kid he just wants to win championships. It's in his blood, and this guy won't lose here forever. Before the season started he did an interview with Blob Stauffer and said he's basically 25% into his NHL career, assuming he's fortunate enough to have a long career. This guy knows he has to take a step soon if he's going to be a champion, he knows he could already have a ring or two if we picked Seguin over him.

The clock is ticking and I won't even be mad. I respect Taylor Hall and if the Oilers continue to be losers I'd rather see this young man move on and enjoy some damn success, he deserves a shot, he deserves playoffs.

If we lose him I just hope we get something like a #1 dman or goalie in return and that Lowe and the rest of those snakes get fired.

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
Let's be honest, we're all thinking about Hall.

Bingo.

Hall, more than any other player on this team, has been a consistently top player in this league, and it doesn't take a hockey analyst to see that the Oilers are holding him back. He's the ideal choice to be the captain, and he didn't even get that. Making young players captains is not some bizarre concept that would make the Oilers stick out like a sore thumb.

I have zero doubts that if you trade this kid to the Eastern Conference, and throw him next to a centre like Giroux or Tavares, you're looking at a 100 point player.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam

To be fair they also put Souray through waivers twice (IIRC) with no takers, nobody wanted that albatross of a contract.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
What I would like to see is Taylor Hall holding the organization hostage and say, "Kevin Lowe, please resign or I demand a trade!"

Did you think it might actually be Katz that is the cancer for this team? His Seattle and handling of the new arena shows he is just a businessman that only cares about money. Lowe is a putz, but maybe it is the owner that is breeding this cancerous issue.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Absolutely. That's the point I'm making here, that the Souray situation and a theoretical Taylor Hall trade demand are completely different situations.

Never mind that Souray got himself injured fighting like a complete goof. Management could've easily granted his request if he wasn't a Grade A moron.

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
solutions:

1. bring local kids back, Mike Green, Dion Phanuef (I am sure ur guys like him, er? ).
2. Isn't Dan Bylsma available? yes, u know what we r saying.
3. off season, some players shouldn't miss to lure, Matt Niskanen, Brooks Orpik, Johnny Boychuck, Michael Nuiever ( better than Ben),
4. need to pull a trade with LA or Chi type top Dman.
5. P.S. : Wings coach Mike Bab "COOK" :D:D:D will be on the market next year.
:):):)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad