What are the highest cap hit send coming out of ELC?

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
What are the highest cap hit send coming out of ELC? How much will this Impact McDavid's and others contract negotiations.

Given that Kane / Toews got 10.5 each and Kopitar got 10, McDavid may hover beyond 12.

BUT... there's a catch. He might be claiming so much cap space so that a decent team cannot be assembled around him. So he may give a discount for that. If he wants to stay in Edmonton. He may be able to get 12M easily at the arbitration.

I expect Edmonton to propose a smaller 1-2 year deal to clear Eberle and Pouliot contracts. Something like 9x2.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Given that Kane and Toews got 10.5 each and Kopitar got 10, McDavid may hover beyond 12.

BUT... there's a catch. He might be claiming so much cap space so that a decent team cannot be assembled around him. So he may give a discount for that. If he wants to stay in Edmonton. He may be able to get 12M easily at the arbitration.

I expect Edmonton to propose a smaller 1-2 year deal to clear Eberle and Pouliot contracts. Something like 9x2.

Those weren't from ELC they were from RFA. They had another contract (RFA) before those numbers.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
So what? If #97 takes Edmonton to arbitration, his RFA status won't factor in much.

IIRC players can't go to arbitration until they reach a certain age or have so much service time. It's one of the reasons why a players 1st contract after their ELC is typical lower than that of any other contract they sign. They have 0 options to try and get fair value aside from getting an offer sheet or playing the KHL card.

As someone mentioned Crosby/Ovi/Malkin would be the 3 largest contracts to come out of their ELCs. Ovi came in at 9.5M/per year, Crosby 8.7M/Per year, and Malkin was also 8.7M/Year.

The next highest I believe are Nick Backstrom at 6.7M/Year and Stamkos at 7.5M/Year, though Backstrom's deal was for a 10 years. If it was signed today I'd see him getting something at around 7.5M.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
IIRC players can't go to arbitration until they reach a certain age or have so much service time. It's one of the reasons why a players 1st contract after their ELC is typical lower than that of any other contract they sign. They have 0 options to try and get fair value aside from getting an offer sheet or playing the KHL card.

As someone mentioned Crosby/Ovi/Malkin would be the 3 largest contracts to come out of their ELCs. Ovi came in at 9.5M/per year, Crosby 8.7M/Per year, and Malkin was also 8.7M/Year.

The next highest I believe are Nick Backstrom at 6.7M/Year and Stamkos at 7.5M/Year, though Backstrom's deal was for a 10 years. If it was signed today I'd see him getting something at around 7.5M.

Yes, you are correct. McDavid may be forced into one year of qualifying offer. :)

But if these top 3, signed in 2008-2009 are of indication, then it all speaks of at least $12M for McDavid ten years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad