What are the chances Toronto's 2020 1st round pick is in the top 10 if they lose to Columbus?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since we now know the first 8 selections of the 2020 draft and even though a placeholder team will need to be drawn for the 1st overall pick, here is what I'm wondering. Hopefully this won't happen but what if Toronto loses their play in series against Columbus, however they don't win the 1st overall pick with that 12.5% chance. Would their 2020 1st round pick still be either 9th or 10th overall? When Kyle Dubas traded Patrick Marleau to Carolina he included their 2020 1st round pick and made it top 10 protected. So in the event Toronto gets the 1st overall pick that this year, that means Carolina gets it automatically in 2021 without any conditions.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the Leafs' lose round 1 they either get the #1 pick (12.5%) or Carolina gets the pick (87.5%) because it is not possible for them to have a top-10 otherwise.
So basically there is no possible way for the Leafs to select 9th or 10th overall based on their point percentage. That's great to know because I don't want Toronto going into the 2020-21 season without their 1st round pick. This is assuming they don't win the 1st pick in the 2020 draft.

Although if a placeholder team didn't win the 1st overall pick tonight that would have guaranteed Carolina getting the Leafs 1st round pick this year, because it wouldn't have been 8th, 9th, or 10th overall, if they happened to lose against Columbus.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'm still hoping they advance at least that far and then relinquish the pick. Guess it's not all that surprising that 'mystery team' will be drafting first overall with the way things have been going though.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

So to understand this correctly, since we were in a playoff spot at the pause, thats why we are not in the lottery if the season is not completed?

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I hate to post anything Steve Simmons says, however I wonder if he's trolling people in Toronto when he says this.

I'd say he's probably just sucking up in case he needs to get a new job in a hurry. Eventually you'd have to think his reputation would be so far in the gutter that even the Toronto Sun would want to wash their hands of him.

Reactions: leburn98

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
Perhaps the best scenario for us, short of winning the Stanley, is to lose in the qualifying round and win the lottery for the 1st pick.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I hate to post anything Steve Simmons says, however I wonder if he's trolling people in Toronto when he says this.

Simmons is trash, but honestly if he wound up in Montreal I wouldn’t mind, I think if we don’t get him I’d rather they did actually.

It would be a great story and frankly I’m tired of either Montreal being good and we suck or we being good and they suck. I’d love to play meaningful games against them to jumpstart that rivalry.

I want to be in the playoffs though, I’m not hoping we lose.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Any chance the Leafs would trade the pick?

I know it's crazy to even contemplate but I have to think they could address their blue line needs rather quickly in some package that brings a legit top 2/4 RD on a great contract (read: underpaid and with term)? They clearly have enough offence and are not exactly hurting on the left side with Mikheyev and Hyman in the top 6, plus Johnsson.

Barrie and Ceci will be gone before next season which means the right side has only Holl and Liljegren as natural RDs - the latter not guaranteed he's a full-time NHLer yet either. They still desperately need a top RD regardles.

Just throwing it out there but I'd think Dubas would listen to serious offers. At least I'd be curious what team would be willing to ante up for an NHL ready potential franchise player.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

It all makes for an interesting, bizarre storyline. A team that is preparing for a play-in is going to ultimately lose there but gain the right to draft first overall. The Habs are one of the biggest underdogs going by seeding.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'd say he's probably just sucking up in case he needs to get a new job in a hurry. Eventually you'd have to think his reputation would be so far in the gutter that even the Toronto Sun would want to wash their hands of him.
Tsn doesn’t have any ethical dilemmas by employing that maggot. Tsn used to be the best,now a bunch of I don’t know what you would call them. No very good anymore in short. I don’t even watch them anymore, zero character in the entire network.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->