What are the chances this thing gets voted down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
jericholic19 said:
So if the role of the agent is significantly diminished, isn't it possible their fees could drop dramatically? Hardly enticing deal for the player agents.

Why would the fees diminish? Agents represent players for far more than just contract talks. Besides, what believable advise can agents give players that will convince them that there will be a better deal down the road if they turn this one down?

If an even playing field is indeed the best interest of the fans then why aren't revenues being significantly shared?

They are shared as much as any other league will be. Of course, the NHL doesnt have the TV deal that makes up the bulk of the other leagues revenue sharing though.

Even if a small number of NHL prospects are actually offered contract from overseas, those that could be attracted to Europe are the few but very best young players. Teams like Lugano and Ak Bars have shown the ability and willingness (in Lugano's case) to pay these prospects far greater amounts than they would initially receive from the NHL. Potentially losing star quality players like Crosby and Ovechkin is an actual threat and could be a big blow to the teams that draft them (further imbalancing the competitive field).

Can you show me a source other than the notorious Brisson that says Lugano has made that offer to Crosby? Teams that draft a guy who is considering Europe over the NHL - and lets face it, Crosby isnt one of them - do so knowing the risk. A teams own drafting mistake is not a cap related problem.

While it may be true that only a small number would be afforded such an opportunity to make more money overseas, we can't know that for sure until some time has come to pass.

Why havent the European leagues been making such offers already? Why didnt they make any offers to the elite north americans of the 2003 draft class?

FYI, Malkin is also apparently a major threat to remian in Russia. If this is true, then wouldn't it also be plausible for players like Carter, Lehtonen etc..to receive attractive contract offers from leagues other than the NHL?

It's plausable that I will get promoted tomorrow and double my salary. Plausability and reasonable expectation are different.

I don't think its that simple. From what I've read, the players could sue the league if the NHL unilaterally decided to impose a cap if impasse hasn't been declared. The league wouldn't be free to cap salaries as it violates labour laws. If someone can back me up or prove the opposite to be true, it'd be much appreciated.

Obviously the imposition of a cap would be a part of a declaration of impasse.

Also, given that my salary is capped here in the real world, I dont think the players would have a legal means of blocking a salary cap outside of the collective bargaining process. The players would then have the same options I do: Accept my pay scale or look for a job that pays better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->