What are the best blade patterns for wrist shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBrisebois43

Jan 3, 2005
I just want to get some opinions on the best blade patterns for taking good wrist shots. I'm currently using the Leclair pattern and it isn't that great for my style of play. (coming in from the off wing and taking hard, high wrist shots)
Thanks alot in advance.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't think there's a specific "This one's for wristers, this other one's for slappers" blade. Generally speaking, if you want some more loft in your shot, you're going to want an open face blade.

Here's a handy little chart: http://www.hockeygiant.com/bladechart.html

Here's a handy site which explains the pros/cons of different blade options (types of curves, face angles, lies, etc): http://www.epuck.com/storeDir/homepage/bladetool/start1.html

A lot of the good players I know love the Drury curve, but I (probably because I suck) can't do anything with that type of curve. It all comes down to preference.

But if you just want to add some air under your shot, then you might want to try out a Sakic curve (slightly open face) if you've been using a Modano curve (closed face), etc etc.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I am one of the few people I know that uses the Easton Shanahan curve. It is very flat near the heel but its curved and squared off at the toe making it really easy to roof the puck from in close. I rely heavily on wrist/snapshots as well, and I find that this pattern suits my style perfectly, but the length and squareness ends up sacrificing a bit in the stick handling department.

I've also recently been using the Bauer P12 Gagne pattern, which is quite similar to the Shanny curve if youre not an Easton guy.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
ya...I love the Shannahan pattern...except like snyergy said, it's makes stick handling a little bit tougher. That being said, it's still my favorite curve, and is generally the only curve I've played with since I was 15 or so...I'm 23 now, so 8 years with basically the same blade...nothing wrong it in my opinion.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Jokinen, Lindros and Hossa are all some of my fav ones. I really like Lindros, its the only curve i really feel comfortable doing everything with, but I definitely think wrist shots are good with that curve.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
synergy27 said:
I am one of the few people I know that uses the Easton Shanahan curve. It is very flat near the heel but its curved and squared off at the toe making it really easy to roof the puck from in close. I rely heavily on wrist/snapshots as well, and I find that this pattern suits my style perfectly, but the length and squareness ends up sacrificing a bit in the stick handling department.

I've also recently been using the Bauer P12 Gagne pattern, which is quite similar to the Shanny curve if youre not an Easton guy.

I've used the Shanny curve for a long time, but switched to a Sakic about a year ago, I find the Sakic to be much better for wrist shots, more control when it leaves the toe of the blade, but that's just my opinion.

Sticks of Fury

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
Just started to use the CCM thornton blade. It's a mid curve deep. I am beginning to like it more and more. In the beginnng I was using a bauer lindros blade since the blade seems more natural looking. Symmetrical. I could visually imagine where the puck is on my blade and aim better. But the thornton blade is more curved and I think it gives a more boost to the wrister since I deduced it is like a sling shot once you get it from the flat part of the blade to the toe than it does from the Lindros blade. I do not follow through that hard but I let the blade guide the shot. I always thought that I would over shoot it to the left but so far it is working well for me.

Chris

Oct 24, 2004
On the other hand, I used a Thornton blade for the longest time. It felt like crap. As soon as I switched to a Lindros, everything seemed to fall into place - I was getting wrist shots off faster and my slappers seemed to actually be quicker.

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
My favourite curve is definately the Lidstrom curve...I love that open blade. I've used it for a few years now.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
BuppY said:
Sakic easton curve is very good for wrist shots.

That's what I'm testing out in an inline game today. (Inline-Center, or goalie, but I'm only an ice goalie), but anyways, ever tried the Coffey curve...lol

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
I rely heavily on wrist shots in my game as well, but I use the Easton "Drury" pattern and the CCM "Hossa" pattern. It is a mid 3/8" curve with an open face and I like the round toe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad