What are the benefits of marrying someone without ever living with them first?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’m almost sure I saw a study within the last decade that showed they followed like 1,000 people who didn’t and did live together and found over 10 years there was no difference in the divorce rate for couples who didn’t live together before vs those who did

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I’m almost sure I saw a study within the last decade that showed they followed like 1,000 people who didn’t and did live together and found over 10 years there was no difference in the divorce rate for couples who didn’t live together before vs those who did
I would be interested to see that. Wonder if the people who hadn't lived with each other beforehand had strong religious beliefs and don't typically get divorced based on their religious views.

iGetThatBread

Mar 18, 2018
I would be interested to see that. Wonder if the people who hadn't lived with each other beforehand had strong religious beliefs and don't typically get divorced based on their religious views.
He said the divorce rates weren't different, not that they don't get divorced. Can you read before posting please?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
He said the divorce rates weren't different, not that they don't get divorced. Can you read before posting please?
Please use some common sense before posting thank you. If the people who didn't live together before was because of religious views, and chose not to get divorced based on religious views, it would skew the results. They weren't getting divorced in the first place, therefore should not count in the study.

iGetThatBread

Mar 18, 2018
Please use some common sense before posting thank you. If the people who didn't live together before was because of religious views, and chose not to get divorced based on religious views, it would skew the results. They weren't getting divorced in the first place, therefore should not count in the study.
So basically the only demographic that wouldn't live together before being married shouldn't be counted in the study about living together before marriage.

And I'm the one that should use common sense huh.

Only in detroit...

Reactions: Daveed Diggs

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
So basically the only demographic that wouldn't live together before being married shouldn't be counted in the study about living together before marriage.

And I'm the one that should use common sense huh.

Only in detroit...
who says thats the only demographic? do you any evidence of that? are you claiming only religious people don't live with each other before marriage?

iGetThatBread

Mar 18, 2018
who says thats the only demographic? do you any evidence of that? are you claiming only religious people don't live with each other before marriage?
What percentage of people who choose to live separately do so because of religious reasons? I'd wager a solid 90%

What do you think?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I think because generally the ultimate reasons for divorce surface years down the road and aren’t necessarily things you might “pick up on” early on by living with the person. The marriage/divorce stats have been very tricky in the last decade plus because people are getting married way way later. In 1998 a high number of first marriages that occurred at age 35 or later ended in divorce. Now that number is way lower. I guess back in 1985 if you weren’t married by 35 odds were you definitely had some shortcomings about you. That isn’t as much a lock anymore although I tend to find a woman who isn’t married by that age still tends to have something about them that isn’t right

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I moved with my girlfriend out of state after knowing her for just 30 days. It was tough at the beginning, but I am glad we did it. We have now been married for 14 years. I would recommend anyone thinking they might marry someone, to live with them first. It is extremely helpful to understand "married life" before you make a commitment to that person.

Reasons to not live together first?

Excitement of marriage. I lived with this woman for almost 4 years before we got married. When some Newlyweds have a big adjustment period after the ceremony, where they are going to begin living together, our life was relatively unchanged. "Yay, we're married!.....I'll take out the trash while you unload the dishwasher. Are we doing chicken again tonight?"

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Well if you’re a pathetic loser, like say GFOP, maybe if you never live together she won’t notice how f***ing awful you are until after the wedding.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
You can still provide wisdom, you do know all, don't you?

That would be the Old Man that knows all...I just understand all.

So your piece of wisdom for the day is: Any honest expression of love is never sinful...no matter what any dogma would say otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad