What are realistic scoring forward options for the Stars at TDL?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hard part is Robertson is the shiny new toy, probably at peak value, which might diminish as time goes by and the "too slow for NHL" mantra kicks back in. Not sure how other teams would value him vs. our other forwards, or even Bayreuther, Heatherington, etc.

If a team needed a goalie, Otter might be pretty good bait, with us taking a chance that Point will become our eventual starter.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So Heika thinks it's pretty likely the Stars add a top 6 forward and maybe even try to add a top 4 dman too by the deadline if they can somehow remain in a top 3 spot in the division or maybe safely in a playoff spot to where they feel they can compete.

Should note he also thinks that Spezza is done here after this season and that they need to get a younger 2C. Long story short this team needs to throw everything they can at Matt Duchene :laugh: if they have the space they need to throw everything they can at Panarin as well

This team with a top 6 of:
Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Panarin-Duchene-Gurianov (because of his speed, but throw anyone here and its fine)

Is a contender. Easier said than done of course but they need to do everything they can to get to this point. At the very least get one of Duchene or Panarin and maybe someone lesser like Nyquist. After Tavares and Karlsson slipped away, Nill needs to go as hard as he can for at least one of these 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Blindsummit

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By the way i'm going to say something that confused me as well. Stars have terrible depth scoring we can all agree on but looking at every single team in the West that is not in better position than us has similar or sometimes worse problems with depth scoring. Which i didn't quite realize .

No matter where you look be it Colorado that has better primary scorers but no goaltending or Minnesota , Anaheim , etc .

If all of those teams are looking to buy a top6 scorer prices could be insane at the deadline.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
By the way i'm going to say something that confused me as well. Stars have terrible depth scoring we can all agree on but looking at every single team in the West that is not in better position than us has similar or sometimes worse problems with depth scoring. Which i didn't quite realize .

No matter where you look be it Colorado that has better primary scorers but no goaltending or Minnesota , Anaheim , etc .

If all of those teams are looking to buy a top6 scorer prices could be insane at the deadline.

Yup. Guys like Duchene and Panarin are gonna get massive raises if they hit free agency...if we trade for either of them or anyone else I hope we have some sort of extension worked out as part of the deal

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The West has somehow been so terrible this year that despite beeing similarly mediocre than last season Stars are actually in a pretty good position. I mean Anaheim has lost 9 games in a row and still is in a playoff spot. I have no idea how thats even possible. Somehow winning a mediocre amount of games actually makes you gain ground on the last playoff teams or get you into a more solid position.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
What will be our likely cap position before we head into the deadline.

Obviously if we go try and get a player will have to send salary back and probably ask for salary to be retained.

But keen to know how tight we are for cap this year

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What will be our likely cap position before we head into the deadline.

Obviously if we go try and get a player will have to send salary back and probably ask for salary to be retained.

But keen to know how tight we are for cap this year

Without shutting anyone down we're pretty much at the Cap +/- a million or so . Guess when Hanzal and if Methot or Johns come back at all will be clearer after the All-Star break but right now ? Thats only guesswork.

My gut tells me Methot will be shut down and probably Johns too which gives us enough room for a couple of moves.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
If they shut down Methot, Johns, and Hanzal, then the Stars have cap space galore.

But right now, there is literally no wiggle room.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I have to think they have told Johns if we are in a playoff spot near the end of the month or middle of February, they put him on the LTIR. He's not getting any better.

How many can be on your LTIR at one time? Is there a limit?

If Methot and Johns go to LTIR, that frees up a lot of space. This team needs scoring. Our D hasn't been that atrocious this year. That being said, if we are in a playoff position, I'd be ok with trying to get a dman at the deadline too.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

We're reallyyy gonna have to give up quite a bit if we want a guy like Duchene. 1st + probably Robertson + a roster player and then some

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean asking price is allways high at the beginning . Who knows maybe there's a ton of seller and prices go down. Many teams kind of suck this season.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Depth is there and they are playing well defensively. We just don't have second line capable of scoring. Add legit offensive 2C there and the whole team upgrades one tier up.

Problem is that we don't really have anything to give up or we are literally putting ourselves into win now mode.

Robertson as main piece would probably fetch exactly what we need. But that would create hole for scoring winger sport for years to come.

Same thing with Dellandrea.

Hard to believe that Gurianov has any major value. I don't believe he would be key piece in anytrade bringing in top 6 guy.

Interesting DL coming. Just have no idea what going to happen.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Depth is there and they are playing well defensively. We just don't have second line capable of scoring. Add legit offensive 2C there and the whole team upgrades one tier up.

Problem is that we don't really have anything to give up or we are literally putting ourselves into win now mode.

Robertson as main piece would probably fetch exactly what we need. But that would create hole for scoring winger sport for years to come.

Same thing with Dellandrea.

Hard to believe that Gurianov has any major value. I don't believe he would be key piece in anytrade bringing in top 6 guy.

Interesting DL coming. Just have no idea what going to happen.

Gurianov definitely has some value. Any team that saw what he could potentially be capable of at this level took notice I'm sure and has likely kept eyes on him at the AHL level

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
It's Nyquist. If he works out, Dallas should definitely be able to resign him. Put together a respectable run that makes it look like you care about hockey after TDL and you should be in the mix for the big names in the offseason.

Reactions: Blindsummit

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
It's Nyquist. If he works out, Dallas should definitely be able to resign him. Put together a respectable run that makes it look like you care about hockey after TDL and you should be in the mix for the big names in the offseason.

Nyquist is interesting to me. Seems like one of the better value deadline players

joshik

In Duchene we believe
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
Let's trade Benn for Vlad and dump Spezza back to Ottawa with Honka, Dellandrea, Tufte, Cecconi if he has some value and a first rounder for Duchene

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Well I know one things for sure: if a trade is made i can guarantee you they'll want an extension or term involved somehow. No way this team is trading for rentals.

Also find it highly unlikely that Dellandrea is moved. Robertson maybe I suppose, but I don't think Nill has Dellandrea being available at all. Wasn't he the rumored Karlsson deal-breaker? Little different cause Karlsson is a possible rental but still

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Why should the stars be sellers. I think if they can get a legitimate scorer they are a much better team.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
As the season begins to get closer to the end I definitely see it’s a 2C and not just a top 6 scorer we need in a trade, and not just a rental, if one is made.

Spezza, if he’s back on a cheap one year deal, Faksa and Hintz won’t be the answers for 2C.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Duchene of course would be nice but would it be worth it; pieces we may trade as well as what his salary may be? Hayes would be a bit cheaper but do you think he could be a 2C like we could use?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Hoping there are some managers interested in taking on the likes of Shore, Nichushkin, Janmark as a part of the rental price. A team like Ottawa might be interested as they need to hit the cap floor next year. Plus you know they value getting lots of assets.

Shore, Janmark, 2019 1st, Tufte

For

Duchene, Dzingle

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Dzingle - Duchene - Gurianov
Dickinson - Faksa - Pitlick
Hintz - Spezza - Nichushkin

Even if they both walk after the playoffs not much value was lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->