What are realistic scoring forward options for the Stars at TDL?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Of course, this assumes we are in contention in February, not having fallen out of the race.

To me, realistic falls into rentals and longer, expensive contracts, probably from the Eastern Conference non-contenders. Maybe the Pacific Division, but probably not the Central (i.e., Tarasenko) Anyone on this board developed a list of realistic options? We don't need Honka for McDavid type proposals here, please.

Also presume that like in the Armstrong days, our first rounder and a few pieces will go. I think Nill will be told be Galardi to be less protective of Hintz, JD and others this time around, because he wants to see us have some, if not ultimate, playoff success.

Yes, after another 1 goal game, I woke up wondering about this. Thanks in advance.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Duchene is the best player that makes the most sense for us and probably would have the biggest impact outside of Panarin. Nill won't move his 1st rounder though and doubt be moves Dellandrea, Robertson, and apparently even Hintz so the deal is off before it even begins. If he really wants this team to win this is his last chance to show us. Duchene alone isn't enough but man it would make a world of difference to have at least him on the 2nd line.

Reactions: Elysian

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The guys from Duchene or Stone from Ottawa are probably available. The price ? Who knows. Tarasenko probably is too but its in the division and Armstrong is oldschool i don't think he traded within the division.

Maybe we have to settle for something like Nyquist from Detroit who is probably available as well or Zuccarello , Hayes , Kreider from the Rangers ? Simmonds from Philly will also be traded and he might be cheap but also is having an off year.

There's some options out there.

I would actually really like Tarasenko but i don't think its even remotely realistic with an oldschool GM like Armstrong within the division.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The guys from Duchene or Stone from Ottawa are probably available. The price ? Who knows. Tarasenko probably is too but its in the division and Armstrong is oldschool i don't think he traded within the division.

Maybe we have to settle for something like Nyquist from Detroit who is probably available as well or Zuccarello from the Rangers ? Simmonds from Philly will also be traded and he might be cheap but also is having an off year.

We need someone who can carry their own line for the most part is the problem unless we target more than one guy

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I'd think Mika Zibanejad (who is 25 and whose NMC Kicks in next year) is a good 2C at a decent $5.35M hit for the next 3 years. I'd also check to see if Silfverberg, who is not having a great season and is a UFA this year end, is available for cheap.

Yes, I fully expect the idiocy from management to continue and not do anything.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We need someone who can carry their own line for the most part is the problem unless we target more than one guy

Yeah but it doesn't have to be an absolute top guy if thats not available. Someone who could just do what Hemsky did 3 years ago would be enough to improve the team.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Duchene is the best player that makes the most sense for us and probably would have the biggest impact outside of Panarin. Nill won't move his 1st rounder though and doubt be moves Dellandrea, Robertson, and apparently even Hintz so the deal is off before it even begins. If he really wants this team to win this is his last chance to show us. Duchene alone isn't enough but man it would make a world of difference to have at least him on the 2nd line.
I think the choices start to get pretty unimpressive if you start putting those kind of constraints on a deal. That said, even a third tier trade option would probably be an upgrade to this forward group.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Expecting what happened last year to happen this year isn't what I expect. TG and Nill obviously unhappy with team, saw that standing still did nothing, and have to know any of their draftees are not guaranteed to get to top tier. I think TG directs Nill to make a big splash, for a reasonably priced to high end forward, including the first, a shiny prospect (I would give another team any one of JD, Hintz, Gurionav, Ty D, they wanted, plus a first, and maybe something else for the right forward.)

Duchene, Stone, and any one of the NYR guys look good to me, and I doubt either team will be in a playoff push mode.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I already liked Nyquist last year at the deadline when he still had another year left. This year he is an expiring contract so he should be cheaper and he's still young enough he can be re-signed for a couple of years . Still like him this year.

Reactions: Blindsummit

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Aren’t we pretty close to the cap? Not sure how limiting that could be.

Shutting down Methot and/or Hanzal for the season would solve that for this year . Methot is the likelier candidate. I sincerely doubt he plays another game for the Stars .

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
We should shop Roope Hintz to the Hurricanes (they love Finnish boys)

In an ideal world, Dallas is able to get one of these forwards.
1. Mark Stone
2. Matt Duchene
3. Artemi Panarin
4. Chris Kreider
5. Kasperi Kapanen
6. Michael Ferland
7. Jesse Puljujarvi
8. Andre Burakovsky

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
We need to add another dman too. Idk how many more games I can sit through seeing Polak getting top 4 ice time and Honka in the lineup

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Gotta pick priorities. Focus on wingers and hope Johns or Methot can play by season's end.

I'm not sure either of those guys will play another game is the problem. Heika reported yesterday that neither Johns or Methot is close at all and there is no telling when they'll return. I suppose their hope is Carrick can play that spot but we need someone a bit more reliable and that can move the puck. But yes definitely priorities first with improving the forward depth. Defense can be addressed at the deadline or offseason I suppose but forwards need to be addressed ASAP

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm not sure either of those guys will play another game is the problem. Heika reported yesterday that neither Johns or Methot is close at all and there is no telling when they'll return. I suppose their hope is Carrick can play that spot but we need someone a bit more reliable and that can move the puck. But yes definitely priorities first with improving the forward depth. Defense can be addressed at the deadline or offseason I suppose but forwards need to be addressed ASAP
And with the limited cap space and pretty thin cupboard of tradeable assets, I don't know if they have enough to add forward and D.

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We need to add another dman too. Idk how many more games I can sit through seeing Polak getting top 4 ice time and Honka in the lineup

Can't get both imho and forward is way more pressing.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
One thing we all need to keep in mind is our GM literally last week said our depth is the best it's ever been....sooo we gotta remember who we're dealing with here and remember he thinks this team is perfectly fine depth wise apparently..

Reactions: Smelling Salt

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
We should shop Roope Hintz to the Hurricanes (they love Finnish boys)

In an ideal world, Dallas is able to get one of these forwards.
1. Mark Stone
2. Matt Duchene
3. Artemi Panarin
4. Chris Kreider
5. Kasperi Kapanen
6. Michael Ferland
7. Jesse Puljujarvi
8. Andre Burakovsky

That's quite a wish list..

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Nill also does not publicly talk about trades. I think the Stars have depth. The depth is just having to play too high in the lineup. A top 6 player would make the lines look a lot better especially if it is Duchene.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
One thing we all need to keep in mind is our GM literally last week said our depth is the best it's ever been....sooo we gotta remember who we're dealing with here and remember he thinks this team is perfectly fine depth wise apparently..

No that was our CEO who has nothing to do with the hockey side outside of the bills.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Nill also does not publicly talk about trades.

Well, color me intrigued! Is he going to keep us in suspense like last season...and end up doing nothing?

I think the Stars have depth.

No they don't.

The depth is just having to play too high in the lineup.

Which is the very definition of a lack of (scoring) depth.

A top 6 player would make the lines look a lot better especially if it is Duchene.

He would....because we lack scoring depth.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
No that was our CEO who has nothing to do with the hockey side outside of the bills.

He does (still) oversee hockey operations according to that DBD article on the Brad Albert hire. To what extent is his oversight on hockey ops is anyone's guess. He appears to actually not know much about the inner workings or is in denial about it.

Pretty obvious the team needs an exclusive hockey ops person between Gaglardi and Nill whom doesn't report to Lites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad