What are Kiprusoff's eventual chances of HHOF?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm pointing out that Gartner's lone strength (goal scoring) wasn't even on par with another weak HHOF inductee.

But nice way to avoid my larger point.

I am not a part of this discussion, I can "avoid" whatefver I want to. Just had to point out that your point was awful.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Don't confuse consistency with greatness. One does not equal the other.

Gartner had ONE 50-goal season and ONE 100-point season, and they happened in the same year, which looks all the more ridiculous when you consider that his prime spanned the highest scoring era in league history. He did not excel in the playoffs. Never voted to a post-season all-star team. Never won an award, much less a Stanley Cup, which is quite ridiculous when you consider that he played in the league for 21 seasons alongside numerous HHOFers (Sundin, Gilmour, Murphy, Messier, Leetch, Anderson, Modano, Stevens, Langway). At least Dino scored at a better-than half a game clip (0.51 GPG); the same can't be said for Mike (0.48 GPG).

A compiler in every sense of the word.

He is one of the worst HHOF inductees, if not, the worst.

Im not confusing consistency with greatness, greatness is kind of subjective anyways so what you think is great or not great isnt necessarily right. But regardless, when you're good enough to be one of only 6 guys in the history of the game to score 700+ goals, I dont give a damn if you did it in one season or 30 seasons, you accomplished something rare and outstanding.

Ciccarelli was short of 700 obviously hitting just over 600 but my argument is the same for him. Like I said, it doesnt matter what your opinion of him is or what anyone else's is either because thats subjective, he achieved something that to this day not even 20 people in the history of hockey have achieved. If you put it in to perspective how many people have played hockey, break it down to how many have made the NHL, and then break it down to them both being in the company of a mere dozen give or take, then give them a little more credit. Claiming that either one is the worst or even one of the worst inductees is ridiculous.

I know I already said Im done but now Im done.:D Everyone gets one.

This thread was about Kiprusoff and it got derailed. Ive said all I need to say any ways. Agree, disagree, whatever you want.

Last edited:

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Gartner played 200 more games than Ciccarelli. Don't you think that may have deflated his numbers? Also, a 50-goal season is an arbitrary number. Gartner also has 6 45+ goal seasons (includes his 50 goal season).

Also, both Gartner and Ciccarelli deserve to be in the Hall, and both are way better players than Kiprusoff. Kiprusoff had two seasons where he was elite, but he has been a lot closer to average since 05-06.

Kipper has had four seasons where he was one of the five best goalies in the league, and therefore, 'elite.'

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
It is weird though - since Brodeur, there literally is not a single "HoF lock" goaltender in the league - while there are numerous forwards and defensemen. That's weird. There is probably an all-time high of "good" goaltenders in the league, but none have made that clear leap to "great" yet. Thomas is probably the closest.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
The correct question is will he get his number honored by the Flames?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It is weird though - since Brodeur, there literally is not a single "HoF lock" goaltender in the league - while there are numerous forwards and defensemen. That's weird. There is probably an all-time high of "good" goaltenders in the league, but none have made that clear leap to "great" yet. Thomas is probably the closest.

IMO, the only thing preventing Thomas from being a lock is "games played" which translates into more "career wins." He could be a mediocre goalie for a few more seasons and he's a lock, so long as he plays a few more seasons. And he's been anything but mediocre this year...

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
It is weird though - since Brodeur, there literally is not a single "HoF lock" goaltender in the league - while there are numerous forwards and defensemen.

This situations might probably lead to the HoF induction of someone like Osgood....

popculturereference

Feb 1, 2009
Kipper has had four seasons where he was one of the five best goalies in the league, and therefore, 'elite.'

Would you care to elaborate when these four seasons happened?

His first two seasons were definitely elite. But, are you thinking of 06-07 and 09-10? He was certainly not one of the top-5 goalies those seasons, regardless of what the Vezina trophy voting says.

GuineaPig

Jul 11, 2011
Montréal
Here's where Kiprusoff ranked in ES Sv% amongst all goalies playing 20+ games, froom 2003-04 to 2010-11:

2nd
3rd
2nd
22nd
45th
10th
35th

There's definitely a case for him being top 5 in at least three seasons, and arguably 2009-10 as well.

popculturereference

Feb 1, 2009
I am willing to concede, and say that 06-07 was an "elite" season. In my original post, I said as much. However, I don't see that fourth elite season, which MessierThanThou claimed. In 09-10, you had a few goalies who were certifiably better (Miller, Vokoun, Howard), and some goalies who were on the same level, but were either better or worse depending on personal preference (Bryzgalov, Nabokov, Brodeur, Lundqvist). Plus, this is before factoring in goalies who lacked a large number of games played, but were much better in their short time (Rask, Halak). If you want to discount the last category of goalies, then you would have to concede Kiprusoff's monstrous 03-04, where he played in even less game then the two goalies named.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Extremely low.
But hey... if Cujo gets considered...

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
This situations might probably lead to the HoF induction of someone like Osgood....

Yeah, a guy who wins two Stanley Cups, carries his team to another final (and should have won the Smythe), and is among the All-Time wins leaders regular season and playoffs?

Oh, he also has comparable playoff statistics to Roy and Brodeur, and only a handful of goaltenders EVER have better playoff winning percentages.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah, a guy who wins two Stanley Cups, carries his team to another final (and should have won the Smythe), and is among the All-Time wins leaders regular season and playoffs?

Oh, he also has comparable playoff statistics to Roy and Brodeur, and only a handful of goaltenders EVER have better playoff winning percentages.

The important thing to ask is did Osgood really win those Cups? We have the luxury of being around long enough to have watched those recent games. Was Osgood great in 1998 and 2008? No, he wasn't. It is commonly thought that he was more a product of his team than the other way around. He didn't lose the Cup for them, he just didn't win the Cup for them.

You also have to ask yourself if there was anytime Osgood was considered an elite goalie in the NHL. His Vezina trophy voting record is horrible for a goalie that some consider to be a HHOFer. That needs to be considered

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009

We had this discussion several times on this boards.
Read the threads.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What do you think are Kiprusoff's chances of eventually making the HHOF. Assuming he plays at least another 5 seasons, including this one. Does he have any chance if he made a couple deep playoff runs and won a Cup (not that I'm predicting such)?

Regular season and playoffs combined...

54.00 W% (304 W - 259 L)
2.45 GAA (1,401 GA/572.2667 GMS [34,336 MINS.])
91.35 SV% (14,803 SVS/16,204 SA)
1:12.44 SO-to-GP (572.2667 GMS [34,336 MINS.]/46 SO)

Vezina
First Team All-Star selection

As of now? No.

All selections don't mean that much anymore

also when you look at a guy like Andy Mood and the fact he is not in the hall with 372 wins and several cup apperances

kipper does not have a chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->