What are flyers really lacking?

Select 5 most important ones.

• Total voters

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Interesting. Vorachek did occur to me. The names that jumped out to me as principle focal points go as follows: A signed Stone + Anderson + pick for Konecny + Sanheim + pick, OR - Patrick + Haag + pick.

Could be way off based on how you guys value said players so I accept full criticism of allocable.

You are WAYYYYY off. Like not even in the same hemisphere.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
The top 5 are pretty consistent in this poll; coaching, bad vets out, legit starting keeper, sniper, speed, etc

I agree the heart is gone, I hope it returns with consistency in mgmt + coaching, through respect, defined purpose, solid ground and fresh air.

Would love to see someone other than G step up and be "the guy", Simmer has the heart but JVR pretty much sealed his fate and it shows - I was hoping he would be a mentor for the kids, but that's not happening. Couts is another guy who I think has the "it" factor, I think he will be a stable force for some time, hopefully sooner than later.

Where is the next Kimmo? I feel like Provy can be that guy once he shakes off the mehs from this season's rollercoaster and gets back to business.

Where is the next Gagne or Briere? I really think TK has that potential.

In net, nothing needs to be said.

We've got alot of the tools we need, but nobody who knows how to actually use them! Frustrating to no end.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
While watching the Eagles game today, I couldn't help but wonder how good the Flyers would be if they had the heart and backs of each other the way that the Birds have. No finger pointing, no excuses, just pulling together to get the best out of what they have. What a contrast between the two groups of players. The Flyers should be ashamed of themselves.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Is anyone else a little worried that all of these picks Hextall made in his time here are all cut from that same kind of cloth that Hakstol and Hex are from? The safe, non-emotional, straight and narrow types with zero flare?
Never thought about that possibility. I mean the Devils and Lou Lam had a profile on what players would fit their system (temperment and skill-set) both NHL and AHL and it worked like a charm for them. I know Hextall tried to approach the Flyers culture and identity build similarly. Too bad Hextall was a control freak and Hakstol a dolt.....not exactly the best attributes of decision makers trying to form a team identity and culture. I mean look at Hak with Hagg...loved the dude yet the league has pretty much done away with stay at home D types.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Never thought about that possibility. I mean the Devils and Lou Lam had a profile on what players would fit their system (temperment and skill-set) both NHL and AHL and it worked like a charm for them. I know Hextall tried to approach the Flyers culture and identity build similarly. Too bad Hextall was a control freak and Hakstol a dolt.....not exactly the best attributes of decision makers trying to form a team identity and culture. I mean look at Hak with Hagg...loved the dude yet the league has pretty much done away with stay at home D types.
With the exception of Konecny and maybe Ratcliffe...who I have no idea about really aside from his prospect profile of sometimes having a "mean streak". I have some concerns about this that it might be true.

Seems to me Hextall has a ton more swing and misses already on his resume drafting with the Flyers.

The Flyers traded their third-round pick (78th overall) to the New York Islanders for Andrew MacDonald. That pick was KHL super goalie Ilya Sorokin, and one pick after was Brayden Point by the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Islanders also acquired the Flyers’ fourth-round selection (108th overall) in the Mark Streit deal, and New York selected Devon Toews. The ultimate steal of this draft was four picks later by the Nashville Predators, who took Viktor Arvidsson (112th overall.) The Flyers did gain back a third-round pick with the trade of Andrej Meszaros to the Bruins, in which they selected Mark Friedman.

In a time where we desperately needed a shooter and creativity, why didn't we grab Elias Pettersson? We already had Rubstov and Vorobyov, why did we need another pure center? Maybe Hextall completely ignored him because of his size?

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
It isn't very clear how much influence Hex had with Lombardi on making the final decision on draft picks in LA. I just took a look at 2008-2013 draft picks for the Kings.. and it's all making a lot of sense as to their struggles right now. There isn't one game breaking player in 6 years of draft classes. Doughty was a can't miss obviously. Schenn has been good. Other than that.. what the f***ing f***??

bfefd16073ec3a56e9101c9aa50ca776.png

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It isn't very clear how much influence Hex had with Lombardi on making the final decision on draft picks in LA. I just took a look at 2008-2013 draft picks for the Kings.. and it's all making a lot of sense as to their struggles right now. There isn't one game breaking player in 6 years of draft classes. Doughty was a can't miss obviously. Schenn has been good. Other than that.. what the ****ing ****??

Voynov, Toffoli, and Pearson were all good picks too.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And they stripped their drafts from 2011-2013, the five highest picks were #30, #37, #49, #80, #82 good luck finding "impact" players.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This should of taken Pettersson stuff is hilarious. Literally no one in 2017 was saying - we don't need Patrick because we already have Rubtsov and Vorobyev so we're set at center.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
A 50 game, ~.920 sv% starter.
Another top 6 forward who gets ~50+pts... be it C or W, can shuffle accordingly.
Good special teams.
A good head coach.

I think is pretty much it for me for them to contend.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It isn't very clear how much influence Hex had with Lombardi on making the final decision on draft picks in LA. I just took a look at 2008-2013 draft picks for the Kings.. and it's all making a lot of sense as to their struggles right now. There isn't one game breaking player in 6 years of draft classes. Doughty was a can't miss obviously. Schenn has been good. Other than that.. what the ****ing ****??

Tbf that is decent drafting:

3x Top pairing Dmen

Doughty
Voynov
Miller

3x Top six forwards

Schenn
Pearson
Toffoli

A few solid depth guys

Clifford
Shore
Dowd
Weal
Forbort

Not Flyers level but over 6 drafts is decent. But not very many are Kings anymore... part of the problem.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Besides coaching, which needs to be stripped and replaced across the board, I do think they need some solid NHL experience at C and D. One guy at each spot. You can never have enough centers and defensemen, particularly as guys inevitably get injured. I'd prefer to be in a position where Hagg gets traded and Myers is paired with a decent veteran while Frost et al easing their way into the league with a year or two on the wing, to a situation where we're just fantasizing about immediate contributions from young guys. Worst case, Giroux goes back to wing for a while and slides back into the middle when Couturier's knee explodes.

First and foremost, the team needs a new system and some confidence, and along with that it needs some NHL experience and stability. A legitimate gun in the top 6 wouldn't hurt either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->