What are flyers really lacking?

Select 5 most important ones.

• Total voters

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Bottom 3 D are so disappointing. The goaltending has been bad for the most part.

Coaching staff sucks and I genuinely believe we overrated a lot of our prospects post 2011

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I would add, that wasnt on polls= better PK - which slowly is getting there.

More speed will help with our deficiencies.

Q or NHL level coach.

Some grit, fight, snots, vomit,
JAM.....

Vets out, you kids in and playing.

We can have all the talent on the ice and we have a shit tonne.... however it's not being used properly - maybe it's a confidence thing... losing breeds players and teams to be unsure of themselves.

This season by all rights is lost. Play the kids and let them learn, constantly.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Right now the problem is more profound than this. How bad they really are, isn't as bad as how they are currently playing. The problem is that both GM and coach have been fired recently, and some changes are expected. Nobody knows where they will be in one month. It is probably very chaotic for them. This season is over already. We're not making the playoffs. There will be some moves, but hopefully no panic. In a more stable context, they would play much better. I wouldn't ruin the core. I'm fine with trading Simmonds for the right value, and perhaps Voracek but the value would need to be very high and NHL ready. Otherwise, keep him. Then look for a good goalie and a coach this summer (I believe Q is coming here). Next season will be very different.

Please do not touch Giroux and Couturier. They aren't the problem.

We have a lot of talent on this team, it's simply that everything is a mess right now and all players are playing anxious.

So far in this thread, this most closely captures my sentiments about this team. Coaching would have to be top, but a close second is execution. I was going to half-jokingly vote for an NHL equivalent of Michael Jordan to take on the aliens that had stolen the hockey-playing ability of most of this line-up. But Laveuglette makes an excellent point that the players are all operating under an enormous dark cloud of not just a losing mentality but the unknown regarding trades, coaching, etc. Some stability and order along with good personnel and strategic decisions should go a long way in restoring a high level of play.

Last edited:
Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Roy Batty

Oct 19, 2018
southern ontario
what don't we need for this Titanic ? Even 1 NHL goalie would help...Hart is prob the guy but too young....we have 2 forward lines and 1 d pair...that's it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
NHL level coaching- years of below level coaching have taken it's toll

Top 6 shooter-Last 8 years, we have had 7 30 goalscorers. Hartnell our highest with 37. G is at #3...our best passer

Speed-Name the guys who scare other teams with their speed. "crickets"

NHL starter-Mason had 3 years of .917, .918 and .928. So underappreciated. Would kill for those #'s again

#1D-If we added an EK, it would take enormous pressure off of Provy and then push Travis to the 2nd pairing where he should be. Adding him or another one all the sudden puts guys into propper or better role instead of having to play "up" a role.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
A coach is #1 by a large margin.

With a few tweaks, the roster can be very legitimate. Aquire a real stopgap goaltender and properly utilize and groom the young players. I like our team on paper. No need to panic. They've just been through hell dealing with a crap coach for years. A trade of a core player or free agent signing is fine if the stars align.

We just need a coach than can undo all of Hakstol's BS and restore a swagger to the team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A coach is #1 by a large margin.

With a few tweaks, the roster can be very legitimate. Aquire a real stopgap goaltender and properly utilize and groom the young players. I like our team on paper. No need to panic. They've just been through hell dealing with a crap coach for years. A trade of a core player or free agent signing is fine if the stars align.

We just need a coach than can undo all of Hakstol's BS and restore a swagger to the team.

I think it needs more than a new coaching staff and a "few tweaks"

There needs to be a pretty substantial overhaul, which to me is between 3 and 5 new faces on the team next season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Speed and quickness is the highest priority, this team is small and average skaters which is a bad combination.
Not so much straight line speed but the ability to juke people and enter the O-zone, Ghost had that as a rookie but lost it, no one else really can "shake and bake." Don't need 12 of these forwards, but 2 or 3 (Frost? Farabee?)

One or two snipers, guys who can beat goaltenders inside 20 feet with a quick wrist shot - Flyers set up scoring chances but can't close the deal, too many muckers and passers.

Better balance, need a veteran top 4 RHD to stabilize the defense, too many inexperienced LHDs on this team, Gudas is solid but not a top pair guy.

Patience, a lot of top talent is on its way, no need to rush them, the object isn't to field the youngest team, or squeeze into the playoffs, but build a SC contender that can do it for a decade (see the Caps) and thus increase the odds of the Hockey Gods smiling up on them. Same with guys like TK, Patrick and Sanheim, lower expectations and accept it may take a couple years for them to peak.

And of course, Hart has to learn to walk on water.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I think it needs more than a new coaching staff and a "few tweaks"

There needs to be a pretty substantial overhaul, which to me is between 3 and 5 new faces on the team next season.

I stated last night 3 obvious names in LV that could help tomorrow.

Parayko, Trouba

Or just actually give Myers a ****ing chance.

You're going to have to part with a key young asset to aquire a player like that. As you stated, just give Myers a chance. He's practically a younger version of those guys anyway.

Just my opinion, but I think we're in pretty outstanding shape long-term. In the short-term I think we're still a very capable team with a new coach, culture, and goalie. Trading a veteran, or a FA signing sounds great as well. But I'm not desperate either.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Parayko, Trouba

Or just actually give Myers a ****ing chance.

I think it’d be better to just divvy up responsibilities more evenly. Provorov might struggle less if he didn’t play 24-25 minutes a night. Wouldn’t mind trading for Trouba/Parayko either, but it might not be necessary.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I stated last night 3 obvious names in LV that could help tomorrow.

You're going to have to part with a key young asset to aquire a player like that. As you stated, just give Myers a chance. He's practically a younger version of those guys anyway.

Just my opinion, but I think we're in pretty outstanding shape long-term. In the short-term I think we're still a very capable team with a new coach, culture, and goalie. Trading a veteran, or a FA signing sounds great as well. But I'm not desperate either.

Yes, I’m with you.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, it would probably help our 21 year old D-man to have an experienced, quality RHD next to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad